Opinions on softs Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
tbird

New

Opinions on softs

Post by tbird » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:19 pm

Hey fellas, I want some opinions on my softs. First off, how much weight does having work experience at a law firm carry? I have worked for over 3 years at an estate planning law firm as a law clerk. I have gotten really good at reviewing and drafting trusts and wills, and have learned tons about creditor protection and relevant tax planning. I also have a near lock at getting a job there once I am done if I want to practice that type of law. I have also worked closely with the managing partner in helping him expand and grow the business. I would consider it invaluable experience. Would this be a big asset for me? Would I just put the info in my resume, or should I write about it in my personal statement?

Also, a big part of who I am comes from serving a two year service mission. I lived in a third world country with little no electricity or running water. I learned a lot about how fortunate we are here in the states. I also learned to love and serve a people completely different from myself. I think this gives me a unique perspective on the under privileged that most might not have, and I really would not have without doing it. I also served in significant leadership capacities while there, including managing the entire mission of over 150 volunteers. This is something I had planned on emphasizing on my PS.

I also currently participate in what is called the Innovation Advancement clinic at ASU law. We do consulting and legal work for individuals and startups that cannot afford conventional legal services and consulting. I think this will help my chances at ASU, since I am already working with a clinic at the school and would transition straight into that program once I am admitted. I think I can also get a good LOR from the chair of the program who works for the school and has to work with us hand in hand. This is something else I wanted to touch on in my PS.

I know these are not earth shattering softs, but I would like to hear how they stack up.

Thanks

Platinum

Re: Opinions on softs

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:28 pm

They are fine and sound like good things to write a PS and LORs about and more importantly things that are probably worthwhile building blocks for a future career or future screening interviews. You should 100% keep in touch with your boss and keep that potential job offer open in this economy.

In terms of getting in though they are not game changers and your LSAT/GPA are still what matter.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:30 pm

If your numbers are competitive for Yale, Stanford and Berkeley, they are great softs and will be very helpful.

If your numbers are not competitive for those schools, they are great softs and won't matter much, unfortunately.

Either way, should be a good personal statement in there.

bp shinners

Gold

Post by bp shinners » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:02 pm

tbird wrote:I also currently participate in what is called the Innovation Advancement clinic at ASU law. We do consulting and legal work for individuals and startups that cannot afford conventional legal services and consulting. I think this will help my chances at ASU, since I am already working with a clinic at the school and would transition straight into that program once I am admitted. I think I can also get a good LOR from the chair of the program who works for the school and has to work with us hand in hand. This is something else I wanted to touch on in my PS.
They'll be decent soft factors, but not game-changers. They will help you immensely during the interview/job hunt however.

Your PS on the volunteer work sounds great. Don't make it worse by talking about your work at the IA Clinic. You have 2 double-spaced pages to tell a story that defines you as a person. If you try to tell more than one story, you won't tell either well. Pick one or the other (I'd go with the volunteer work, as you can get the Clinic work into your package through a LoR) and stick to it. The PS is a laser beam, not a shot gun.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”