Just received an offer from Florida Coastal... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Birdnals

Gold

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:12 pm

Samara wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
North wrote:
Samara wrote:The main thing is having access to money.
This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA
Do you mean MPA?
...No

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:13 pm

Samara wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
North wrote:
Samara wrote:The main thing is having access to money.
This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA
Do you mean MPA?
I think he meant that Big Business (which is packed full of MBA's) generally directs politics and politicians with its Dollar Dollar Bills.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:16 pm

Birdnals wrote:
Samara wrote:
Birdnals wrote:This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA
Do you mean MPA?
...No
I've never heard of one lobbyist with an MBA. Unless they are transitioning to lobbying from a successful business career. An MPA, on the other hand, is quick, cheap and more useful than an MBA. A JD is useful, but in many cases too expensive.

top30man

Silver

Post by top30man » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:17 pm

DerekTokaz wrote:
donklob wrote:Laundry list of names
All those Penn congressmen aren't members of Congress, but rather the state legislature. And, there's a very good chance the JD didn't really help them get there. Could easily be that they come from a somewhat well-to-do family that's involved in politics and the JD is just something you do, but it's really the family connections that were responsible for getting elected.
Yeah I think this is often the case. The JD itself isn't going to magically open any doors.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:21 pm

donklob wrote:No you are 100% right. Id be a fool to deny the fact that any school that has approached me or any of us for that matter is a shit school. that is why I have stated I am not taking this offer too serious... At all.
Given your goals, dude, you don't need to waste your time with law school. Withdraw those apps and keep your $200,000+.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 pm

Samara wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
Samara wrote:
Birdnals wrote:This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA
Do you mean MPA?
...No
I've never heard of one lobbyist with an MBA. Unless they are transitioning to lobbying from a successful business career. An MPA, on the other hand, is quick, cheap and more useful than an MBA. A JD is useful, but in many cases too expensive.
Granted, a vast majority of my experience has been with corporate lobbyists, but the most common advanced degree I have seen is MBA. Even the non-profit ones I have met have had advanced degrees in their field (example: healthcare lobbyist with a masters in hospital administration) rather than a MPA.

There are a few JD’s, but not nearly as many as MBAs.

When I think MPA I don’t think lobbyist. I think Leslie Knope.

ETA: If you have a prestigious Political Science degree or Econ Degree from somewhere like UChicago you might be able to do the DC thinktank ---> lobbyist/ political staffer route.

donklob

New

Post by donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 pm

North wrote:
donklob wrote:No you are 100% right. Id be a fool to deny the fact that any school that has approached me or any of us for that matter is a shit school. that is why I have stated I am not taking this offer too serious... At all.
Given your goals, dude, you don't need to waste your time with law school. Withdraw those apps and keep your $200,000+.

Getting a little personal here but maybe it will help you guys understand a little more of my want to attend law school. Throughout my undergrad I have worked full-time as I needed to assist my parents in affording where we live (I am 1st generation) so I never really dedicated myself to school 100% and feel i never had the opportunity to display what I am capable of (besides selling shit). It may sound dumb but the debt of law school is a small price to pay in my mind for the chance to be able to NOT work while going to school, give 100% of my time to school and all extra- curricular activites and also live away where distractions are limited. I know alot of you here come from top 20 undergrad schools left home at 18 and had orgies and got hopped off of various drugs, but I never had the chance to experience what only worrying about school can provide. All I have to show for it is 10 years of sales exeprience a Bachelor's from an unknown school (needed to attend as it was close to home and work). Now I have the chance to do what I have always wished I could, and thats not balance a 44 hour work schedule as well as a full-time school schedule. With that said I feel law school will provide me with the chance to put something on my resume with substance. Something I am missing.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 pm

donklob wrote:
North wrote:

Getting a little personal here but maybe it will help you guys understand a little more of my want to attend law school. Throughout my undergrad I have worked full-time as I needed to assist my parents in affording where we live (I am 1st generation) so I never really dedicated myself to school 100% and feel i never had the opportunity to display what I am capable of (besides selling shit). It may sound dumb but the debt of law school is a small price to pay in my mind for the chance to be able to NOT work while going to school, give 100% of my time to school and all extra- curricular activites and also live away where distractions are limited. I know alot of you here come from top 20 undergrad schools left home at 18 and had orgies and got hopped off of various drugs, but I never had the chance to experience what only worrying about school can provide. All I have to show for it is 10 years of sales exeprience a Bachelor's from an unknown school (needed to attend as it was close to home and work). Now I have the chance to do what I have always wished I could, and thats not balance a 44 hour work schedule as well as a full-time school schedule. With that said I feel law school will provide me with the chance to put something on my resume with substance. Something I am missing.
That's great I think. But you still should retake 1 more time.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:40 pm

donklob wrote:
Your sales experience is 100% more marketable than a JD from anything but a prestigious school or MAYBE your state’s flagship. Even then, unless you go for little-to-no cost any job you get starting off in either corporate or public politics will not be able to pay enough to pay off your debt.

Honestly, if you want my advice, and you want to get into politics here is what I would do: Apply for every government relations job you can. Even being the assistant for a VP of government relations would get your foot in the door. Work your ass off, get to know the movers and shakers of local politics while doing mostly bitch work. Work your way up from there.

Going to law school for the purpose of anything other than practicing law is a fool’s errand.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

donklob

New

Post by donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:43 pm

Birdnals wrote:
donklob wrote:
Your sales experience is 100% more marketable than a JD from anything but a prestigious school or MAYBE your state’s flagship. Even then, unless you go for little-to-no cost any job you get starting off in either corporate or public politics will not be able to pay enough to pay off your debt.

Honestly, if you want my advice, and you want to get into politics here is what I would do: Apply for every government relations job you can. Even being the assistant for a VP of government relations would get your foot in the door. Work your ass off, get to know the movers and shakers of local politics while doing mostly bitch work. Work your way up from there.

Going to law school for the purpose of anything other than practicing law is a fool’s errand.
I appreciate your advice, but saying sales experience is more marketable than a JD??? :roll:

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:44 pm

donklob wrote:
Birdnals wrote:[

I appreciate that but saying sales experience is more marketable than a JD??? :roll:
What do you think a lobbyist/ politician is? It’s a glorified sales person.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:46 pm

donklob wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
donklob wrote:

I appreciate your advice, but saying sales experience is more marketable than a JD??? :roll:
Lot more sales jobs out there than JD required jobs. Also easier to be an entrepreneur

donklob

New

Post by donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:48 pm

Birdnals wrote:
donklob wrote:
Birdnals wrote:[

I appreciate that but saying sales experience is more marketable than a JD??? :roll:
What do you think a lobbyist/ politician is? It’s a glorified sales person.
I get that, but its always nicer when its discussed as opposed to when it is on a resume. Ask the state department where I have applied several times with no response.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:52 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
donklob wrote:I get that, but its always nicer when its discussed as opposed to when it is on a resume. Ask the state department where I have applied several times with no response.
Except a JD is actually detrimental to applying for non-legal jobs, especially when not from a top school.
^This. Nobody wants an employee who knows how to sue them for the slightest infringement unless they need him/her for legal purposes (AKA JD required).

The state department isn't hiring anywhere, JD or not

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:56 pm

donklob wrote:I am currently on the wait list for Hofstra. This is my full story: I only applied to 4 schools for this fall, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Widener (safety) and Loyola N.O.. I applied to these schools with a 3.26 GPA and a 150 LSAT. I am currently wait listed at Hofstra, Rutgers - denied, Widner - accepted (I passed on the "opportunity" to attend) and Loyola offered me some nonsense where I would have to go down there (reside in NJ) take a 2 week course and take a final test where if I were to pass i would get in. Due to the recommendations by everyone here I decided to re-take the LSAT (took it in June) and apply for the 2013 year. I got a 154 which put me in in the 60th percentile. I immediately notified Hofstra hoping this will increase my chances of being offered a seat. No word yet. BUT today I received the enticing offer discussed on this thread. AGAIN I am not taking the offer too serious, BUT at the same time to say i received a J.D. for $15,000 sounds decent. My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Corporate law is not for me. and I currently have debt of $30k from my undergrad to deal with as well. Your thoughts?
That's what Public Policy schools are for. Skip Coastal and apply to the top PP schools (Harvard, Princeton, Tufts, etc.) and save yourself from unemployment.

abc12345675

Bronze

Post by abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:59 pm

TTTehehe wrote:
donklob wrote:I am currently on the wait list for Hofstra. This is my full story: I only applied to 4 schools for this fall, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Widener (safety) and Loyola N.O.. I applied to these schools with a 3.26 GPA and a 150 LSAT. I am currently wait listed at Hofstra, Rutgers - denied, Widner - accepted (I passed on the "opportunity" to attend) and Loyola offered me some nonsense where I would have to go down there (reside in NJ) take a 2 week course and take a final test where if I were to pass i would get in. Due to the recommendations by everyone here I decided to re-take the LSAT (took it in June) and apply for the 2013 year. I got a 154 which put me in in the 60th percentile. I immediately notified Hofstra hoping this will increase my chances of being offered a seat. No word yet. BUT today I received the enticing offer discussed on this thread. AGAIN I am not taking the offer too serious, BUT at the same time to say i received a J.D. for $15,000 sounds decent. My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Corporate law is not for me. and I currently have debt of $30k from my undergrad to deal with as well. Your thoughts?
That's what Public Policy schools are for. Skip Coastal and apply to the top PP schools (Harvard, Princeton, Tufts, etc.) and save yourself from unemployment.
I don't mean this offensively, but I don't think that's good advice. How often do you think a Princeton candidate and a Florida Coastal candidate are the same person?

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:02 pm

Birdnals wrote:Granted, a vast majority of my experience has been with corporate lobbyists, but the most common advanced degree I have seen is MBA. Even the non-profit ones I have met have had advanced degrees in their field (example: healthcare lobbyist with a masters in hospital administration) rather than a MPA.

There are a few JD’s, but not nearly as many as MBAs.

When I think MPA I don’t think lobbyist. I think Leslie Knope.

ETA: If you have a prestigious Political Science degree or Econ Degree from somewhere like UChicago you might be able to do the DC thinktank ---> lobbyist/ political staffer route.
Huh, interesting. Did the MBA people work in business prior to lobbying though? Lobbying is probably a sweet exit option if you miss the consulting/banking train from business school and hit a ceiling in promotions.

I haven't seen a ton of MPAs, outside of think tanks, but I feel like I've seen more MPAs than MPHs or other degrees. Most that I have worked with either have a JD or previously held office.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:03 pm

abc12345675 wrote:
TTTehehe wrote:
I don't mean this offensively, but I don't think that's good advice. How often do you think a Princeton candidate and a Florida Coastal candidate are the same person?
OP's GPA is not abysmal. And the GRE and LSAT are two different tests. How often are they the same candidate? I don't have stats, but I do have anecdotes. Know a guy with 3.4 gpa, crap LSAT, good GRE, and is at GTown for Public Affairs/Policy. It's doable. Know another guy at Fletcher(Tufts), similar story. Granted, both had military experience, but they are perfect examples of people destined for crap law schools who are better off for having gone another direction.

Edit: No offense taken, btw.
Last edited by TTTehehe on Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Samara wrote:Huh, interesting. Did the MBA people work in business prior to lobbying though? Lobbying is probably a sweet exit option if you miss the consulting/banking train from business school and hit a ceiling in promotions.

I haven't seen a ton of MPAs, outside of think tanks, but I feel like I've seen more MPAs than MPHs or other degrees. Most that I have worked with either have a JD or previously held office.
Well, most everybody with an MBA worked in business prior to getting it, so in that sense yes. But they almost all worked in corporate public policy/ government relations departments with the intention of having the corporation pay for their MBA with the consent that they would work for that corporate for X-number of years as a lobbyist after graduation.

I know businesses are much more happy to pay for an MBA for a lobbyist than a JD (they have in-house to explain the technicalities of a law to their lobbyist. Lobbyist are there to be a sales person for the company, selling it to public servants, the skills acquired with a MBA is much better suited for the profession than those gained from a JD)

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:55 pm

Birdnals wrote:Well, most everybody with an MBA worked in business prior to getting it, so in that sense yes. But they almost all worked in corporate public policy/ government relations departments with the intention of having the corporation pay for their MBA with the consent that they would work for that corporate for X-number of years as a lobbyist after graduation.

I know businesses are much more happy to pay for an MBA for a lobbyist than a JD (they have in-house to explain the technicalities of a law to their lobbyist. Lobbyist are there to be a sales person for the company, selling it to public servants, the skills acquired with a MBA is much better suited for the profession than those gained from a JD)
Oh, I see what you mean. I was only thinking of lobbying firms, not in-house for some reason. That makes sense.

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:16 pm

How good are you at math?

If you're good at math, prep and take the GMAT. Do well. Get your MBA.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:09 pm

donklob wrote:
North wrote:

This is the wrong reason to go to law school. I think you need to slow down. You seem to be making what should be a strictly financial decision (unless you are 50, own your own company and want to go to law school because you think it might be fun) based on emotion and social/personal pressure. 10 years of work experience in sales is substantive experience and a very valuable skill set. Now you may believe that the JD is going to add to that, but that's really not the case anymore.

It's really not that big a deal just to get into to law school. These schools are scams and will accept anybody who applies. The degree is weaker than you think because they are throwing so many people on the market. If you really want the college experience there are other, cheaper ways to be a full-time student then a JD from a crap school with a lot of debt. A school like FC is only good if 1) you have a guaranteed full scholly, 2) your parents can afford to burn the amount of money in their backyard, and you just need ANY JD so you can take the bar exam and work at their firm.

Look, you got into law school. You've proved that you're just as good as the rich kids from elite undergrads and orgies or something. Now stop, breathe, and take a second to think about whether the JD actually would add anything to your resume worth the cost.

DerekTokaz

New

Post by DerekTokaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:40 pm

donklob wrote:Getting a little personal here but maybe it will help you guys understand a little more of my want to attend law school. Throughout my undergrad I have worked full-time as I needed to assist my parents in affording where we live (I am 1st generation) so I never really dedicated myself to school 100% and feel i never had the opportunity to display what I am capable of (besides selling shit). It may sound dumb but the debt of law school is a small price to pay in my mind for the chance to be able to NOT work while going to school, give 100% of my time to school and all extra- curricular activites and also live away where distractions are limited. I know alot of you here come from top 20 undergrad schools left home at 18 and had orgies and got hopped off of various drugs, but I never had the chance to experience what only worrying about school can provide. All I have to show for it is 10 years of sales exeprience a Bachelor's from an unknown school (needed to attend as it was close to home and work). Now I have the chance to do what I have always wished I could, and thats not balance a 44 hour work schedule as well as a full-time school schedule. With that said I feel law school will provide me with the chance to put something on my resume with substance. Something I am missing.
This might be a good reason to go back to school, but not to go to law school. Why not get a second bachelor's from a better school?

donklob

New

Post by donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:42 pm

timbs4339 wrote:
donklob wrote:
North wrote:

This is the wrong reason to go to law school. I think you need to slow down. You seem to be making what should be a strictly financial decision (unless you are 50, own your own company and want to go to law school because you think it might be fun) based on emotion and social/personal pressure. 10 years of work experience in sales is substantive experience and a very valuable skill set. Now you may believe that the JD is going to add to that, but that's really not the case anymore.

It's really not that big a deal just to get into to law school. These schools are scams and will accept anybody who applies. The degree is weaker than you think because they are throwing so many people on the market. If you really want the college experience there are other, cheaper ways to be a full-time student then a JD from a crap school with a lot of debt. A school like FC is only good if 1) you have a guaranteed full scholly, 2) your parents can afford to burn the amount of money in their backyard, and you just need ANY JD so you can take the bar exam and work at their firm.

Look, you got into law school. You've proved that you're just as good as the rich kids from elite undergrads and orgies or something. Now stop, breathe, and take a second to think about whether the JD actually would add anything to your resume worth the cost.

Why do we speak of a JD like it is worthless here??? trust me I have spent 2 years on this, I know it will be worth it. And again I will NOT be taking the coastal offer.

donklob

New

Post by donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 3:43 pm

DerekTokaz wrote:
donklob wrote:Getting a little personal here but maybe it will help you guys understand a little more of my want to attend law school. Throughout my undergrad I have worked full-time as I needed to assist my parents in affording where we live (I am 1st generation) so I never really dedicated myself to school 100% and feel i never had the opportunity to display what I am capable of (besides selling shit). It may sound dumb but the debt of law school is a small price to pay in my mind for the chance to be able to NOT work while going to school, give 100% of my time to school and all extra- curricular activites and also live away where distractions are limited. I know alot of you here come from top 20 undergrad schools left home at 18 and had orgies and got hopped off of various drugs, but I never had the chance to experience what only worrying about school can provide. All I have to show for it is 10 years of sales exeprience a Bachelor's from an unknown school (needed to attend as it was close to home and work). Now I have the chance to do what I have always wished I could, and thats not balance a 44 hour work schedule as well as a full-time school schedule. With that said I feel law school will provide me with the chance to put something on my resume with substance. Something I am missing.
This might be a good reason to go back to school, but not to go to law school. Why not get a second bachelor's from a better school?
Why would I waste another 4 years??? a bachelors is just as good as an associtates degree was 15 years ago.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”