Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:58 pm

I know what thew concensus will be here BUT is the school worth going to at a rate of $5,000 a year?

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby North » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:03 pm

Florida Coastal is a joke in Florida. It is not worth $15,000 and definitely not worth three years of your life. Shoot for UF and FSU with in-state tuition or UM with a full scholarship if you are dead-set on working a legal job in Florida.

Only 1/3 of last year's class work as lawyers. (LinkRemoved) Not even close to worth it.
Last edited by North on Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
top30man
Posts: 1224
Joined: Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby top30man » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:05 pm

Is col paid for? What are your other options? What's your degree in? What are your goals? What is the stip on the scholarship?
The majority of people from this school do not get jobs. The smarter play is to retake the LSAT.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby Nova » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:09 pm

North wrote: definitely not worth three years of your life.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby abc12345675 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:11 pm

Maybe if you have a family firm you want to work in.

SchopenhauerFTW
Posts: 1793
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:22 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:33 pm

Any other offers?

rad lulz
Posts: 9844
Joined: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:53 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:46 pm

North wrote:Florida Coastal is a joke in Florida. It is not worth $15,000 and definitely not worth three years of your life. Shoot for UF and FSU with in-state tuition or UM with a full scholarship if you are dead-set on working a legal job in Florida.

Only 1/3 of last year's class work as lawyers. (LinkRemoved) Not even close to worth it.

This doesn't even take into account the horrific attrition rate at that place.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:41 pm

The stip on this scholly must be brutal, though if you don't retain the scholly you have to drop out anyway.

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:50 pm

I am currently on the wait list for Hofstra. This is my full story: I only applied to 4 schools for this fall, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Widener (safety) and Loyola N.O.. I applied to these schools with a 3.26 GPA and a 150 LSAT. I am currently wait listed at Hofstra, Rutgers - denied, Widner - accepted (I passed on the "opportunity" to attend) and Loyola offered me some nonsense where I would have to go down there (reside in NJ) take a 2 week course and take a final test where if I were to pass i would get in. Due to the recommendations by everyone here I decided to re-take the LSAT (took it in June) and apply for the 2013 year. I got a 154 which put me in in the 60th percentile. I immediately notified Hofstra hoping this will increase my chances of being offered a seat. No word yet. BUT today I received the enticing offer discussed on this thread. AGAIN I am not taking the offer too serious, BUT at the same time to say i received a J.D. for $15,000 sounds decent. My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Corporate law is not for me. and I currently have debt of $30k from my undergrad to deal with as well. Your thoughts?

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:51 pm

timbs4339 wrote:The stip on this scholly must be brutal, though if you don't retain the scholly you have to drop out anyway.


Thats one thing I would clarify first. Im sure a lot of you have been approached by these for profit schools anyone ever care to ask what the stipulations are?

DerekTokaz
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby DerekTokaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 10:37 am

donklob wrote:My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Your thoughts?

Find another way to get in to this career path.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby North » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:10 am

DerekTokaz wrote:
donklob wrote:My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Your thoughts?

Find another way to get in to this career path.
This. A JD won't help much with getting into politics, my friend. Get involved with state and local campaigns and put in Biglaw hours. Pick up a late-night part-time job to pay the bills. Make yourself valuable to the candidate. If your guy wins, you might land a job on his staff. Do that every election cycle until you make a name for yourself. Before you know it, candidates will be paying you to work for their campaigns. If you spend the time making the right connections and demonstrating political ability, someone with money might suggest that you run for office. That's when you become the candidate.

Spending the next three years working in politics will further your political career MUCH more than a JD from any of the schools you're considering. Also, it won't cost $100,000.

abc12345675
Posts: 373
Joined: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:13 am

donklob wrote:I am currently on the wait list for Hofstra. This is my full story: I only applied to 4 schools for this fall, Hofstra, Rutgers Newark, Widener (safety) and Loyola N.O.. I applied to these schools with a 3.26 GPA and a 150 LSAT. I am currently wait listed at Hofstra, Rutgers - denied, Widner - accepted (I passed on the "opportunity" to attend) and Loyola offered me some nonsense where I would have to go down there (reside in NJ) take a 2 week course and take a final test where if I were to pass i would get in. Due to the recommendations by everyone here I decided to re-take the LSAT (took it in June) and apply for the 2013 year. I got a 154 which put me in in the 60th percentile. I immediately notified Hofstra hoping this will increase my chances of being offered a seat. No word yet. BUT today I received the enticing offer discussed on this thread. AGAIN I am not taking the offer too serious, BUT at the same time to say i received a J.D. for $15,000 sounds decent. My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Corporate law is not for me. and I currently have debt of $30k from my undergrad to deal with as well. Your thoughts?


You should retake again. Seriously even another 4 point increase could help.

The thing you have to understand is that a JD from a school like this is largely useless. So yes it's cheap, but still. A JD isn't a JD isn't a JD, as some people say.

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:44 am

North wrote:
DerekTokaz wrote:
donklob wrote:My goals with law school which may sound crazy are to work in government, one day even politics. Your thoughts?

Find another way to get in to this career path.
This. A JD won't help much with getting into politics, my friend. Get involved with state and local campaigns and put in Biglaw hours. Pick up a late-night part-time job to pay the bills. Make yourself valuable to the candidate. If your guy wins, you might land a job on his staff. Do that every election cycle until you make a name for yourself. Before you know it, candidates will be paying you to work for their campaigns. If you spend the time making the right connections and demonstrating political ability, someone with money might suggest that you run for office. That's when you become the candidate.

Spending the next three years working in politics will further your political career MUCH more than a JD from any of the schools you're considering. Also, it won't cost $100,000.


I have a friend who is going through the method you just described his ultimate goal is a job as a lobbyist. I mean what is the reason behind 80% or more of politicians have a J.D. if this way works?

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:52 am

flem wrote:
donklob wrote:I have a friend who is going through the method you just described his ultimate goal is a job as a lobbyist. I mean what is the reason behind 80% or more of politicians have a J.D. if this way works?


Well, a couple things. One, you're messed up necessary and sufficient conditions. Two, look at where politicians got their law degrees from. For the most part, they are all from very elite schools. Holding (prestigious) elected office is about your pedigree.


Notable faculty
Joseph R. Biden Jr., U.S. Vice President [42]

[edit] Notable alumni

As of 2010, the School of Law has more than 13,000 alumni practicing around the world.[43]
Dawn Marie Addiego (19--), New Jersey State Senator (R)
Peter J. Barnes III (19--), New Jersey Congressman (D)
Hon. P. Kevin Brobson (1995), Pennsylvania Commonwealth Court (R)
Mark B. Cohen (1993), Pennsylvania Congressman (D)
Hon. Alan N. Cooper (1985), New Castle County Family Court[44]
Hon. Deborah E. Curcillo (1987), Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas[45]
Bryan Cutler (2006), Pennsylvania Congressman (R)
Peter Daley (1993), Pennsylvania Congressman (D)
Carl Danberg (198-), former Delaware Attorney General (D)
Hon. Alan G. Davis (1999), Chief Magistrate, Delaware Justice of the Peace Court[46]
Hon. Susan C. Del Pesco (1975), Delaware Superior Court
Eugene DePasquale (19--), Pennsylvania Congressman (D)
Domenick DiCicco (19--), New Jersey Congressman (R)
Hon. Scott A. Evans (1981), Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas[47]
Jon D. Fox (1975), former U.S. Congressman (R-PA)
Hon. Todd A. Hoover (1979), Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas[48]
Tom Houghton (199-), former Pennsylvania Congressman
Hon. Richard A. Lewis (19--), Dauphin County Court of Common Pleas[49]
Matthew McGrory (dec'd), actor
Patrick J. Murphy (1999), former U.S. Congressman (D-PA)
William Nettles (1992), U.S. Attorney, District of South Carolina [50]
Pat Quinn (198-), former NHL Coach and General Manager
Hon. Robert J. Rebstock (1983), Philadelphia County Court of Common Pleas[51]
Cynthia R. Ryan (1979), National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency General Counsel
John Sabatina (1997), Pennsylvania Congressman (D)
Curt Schroder (1989), Pennsylvania Congressman (R)
John C. Sigler (1987), former National Rifle Association President
Hon. Howard H. Sherman (1975), New York Supreme Court[52]
Todd Stephens (politician) (2000), Pennsylvania Congressman (R)
Brian Tierney (1987), former publisher of the The Philadelphia Inquirer and the Philadelphia Daily News
Terry Van Horne (1993), former Pennsylvania Congressman (D)
Rebecca Walker (politician) (19--), Delaware Congresswoman (D)


Widener BTW not too prestigious if you ask ANYONE on this site.

DerekTokaz
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby DerekTokaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:56 am

North wrote:Get involved with state and local campaigns and put in Biglaw hours. Pick up a late-night part-time job to pay the bills. Make yourself valuable to the candidate. If your guy wins, you might land a job on his staff. Do that every election cycle until you make a name for yourself. Before you know it, candidates will be paying you to work for their campaigns.

Probably not "before you know it." Gotta keep in mind that campaigns tend to only take place every 2 years, so there's a big gap between chances to build your resume. You can expect to work a few campaigns for free before ever getting a paid job.

Best bet would be to work on a very small campaign, like small town mayor, or county commission, something where you can really get to know the candidate and become a big asset. That candidate will know all the other political players and will be able to make connections for you.

Also work on writing op-eds. Even if they're not getting published, you need the experience of being able to produce copy very quickly. That's a skill a lot of people don't have and is very important in local elections.

Honestly though, I think politics is about the shittiest route you can go. The candidates you'll be working for are almost to a man going to be liars. Even if you think they're actually going to do a good job and aren't that bad, they will lie to win. And, they usually have to lie to win because voters are retarded. That's the other downside of politics. People who show up to campaign events make shitlaw clients look like well-balanced Rhodes scholars. Holding any sort of reasonable position, like that perhaps the other guy doesn't want to shit on the flag, is political suicide because voters just want their candidates to repeat back even crazier versions of what they just said.

Also, if you do manage to find a good candidate and help them win a few local races and over the years the candidate finally gets to the point where he can run for a bigger office, like governor or congress, don't be surprised if you're ditched the minute he wins the primary, get national party funding, and hires a big professional campaign shop.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 am

flem wrote:
donklob wrote:I have a friend who is going through the method you just described his ultimate goal is a job as a lobbyist. I mean what is the reason behind 80% or more of politicians have a J.D. if this way works?


Well, a couple things. One, you're messed up necessary and sufficient conditions. Two, look at where politicians got their law degrees from. For the most part, they are all from very elite schools. Holding (prestigious) elected office is about your pedigree.

This. Spend that same money you would on law school living expenses working for a politician in DC or your local state capital for next to nothing (because you won’t get paid shit working in politics your first few years).

My mom is the VP of government relations for a very large Missouri business. Probably a quarter of her staff in DC/ Jeff City have law degrees, and I am being very generous. Most of the heavy hitting lobbyist don’t have JD’s,.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:57 am

donklob wrote:I have a friend who is going through the method you just described his ultimate goal is a job as a lobbyist. I mean what is the reason behind 80% or more of politicians have a J.D. if this way works?

wut? The percentage is not anywhere near 80%. Only about a third of the members of Congress have JDs, according to this list from 2009. It's probably less after the tea party influx of 2010. I would also bet that the percentage is dropping over time and will continue to drop. If you want to run for office, either start working for the political machine or become successful in some field. It doesn't really matter what field, though being a small business owner is always a big plus.

The main thing is having access to money. A lot of politicians are lawyers because a lot of lawyers are well-off themselves and have clients with even more money. The JD itself is of almost no value in politics. Can you think of a politician with a JD who is not otherwise successful?

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:58 am

flem wrote:Oh cool, exceptions exist to general rules. No way.

Also note how I said prestigious public office, eg, Senators and shit.


Not too ELITE*

DerekTokaz
Posts: 50
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:16 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby DerekTokaz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:00 pm

donklob wrote:Laundry list of names

All those Penn congressmen aren't members of Congress, but rather the state legislature. And, there's a very good chance the JD didn't really help them get there. Could easily be that they come from a somewhat well-to-do family that's involved in politics and the JD is just something you do, but it's really the family connections that were responsible for getting elected.

User avatar
North
Posts: 4038
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:09 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby North » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:01 pm

Samara wrote:The main thing is having access to money.

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:03 pm

flem wrote:
donklob wrote:Not too ELITE*


What?

You just posted the equivalent of a list of partners at biglaw firms that went to TTTs. It happens (much less so today) but it's not the norm. No one is saying it's impossible, but given the odds it's a really terrible idea.


I meant to edit my post earlier... Cool off forum muscle man.

User avatar
Birdnals
Posts: 4576
Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:26 am

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby Birdnals » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:04 pm

North wrote:
Samara wrote:The main thing is having access to money.

This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA

donklob
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:51 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby donklob » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:08 pm

flem wrote:
donklob wrote:I meant to edit my post earlier... Cool off forum muscle man.


huh?

It's obvious you're concerned with attaining some vague notion of prestige, and a JD is the way to do that. A JD from Florida Coastal will actually do more harm than good on your resume, and it's a waste of your time and money. Do you think quality schools are soliciting people like this?


No you are 100% right. Id be a fool to deny the fact that any school that has approached me or any of us for that matter is a shit school. that is why I have stated I am not taking this offer too serious... At all.

User avatar
Samara
Posts: 3245
Joined: Wed May 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: Just received an offer from Florida Coastal...

Postby Samara » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Birdnals wrote:
North wrote:
Samara wrote:The main thing is having access to money.

This, or if you want to do the behind the scenes lobbying get your MBA

Do you mean MPA?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: carlos_danger, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests