Do admissions care about Gold Congressional Medals? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Do admissions care about Gold Congressional Medals?

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:37 pm

My undergrad couldn't apparently care less that I got a Gold Congressional Medal (and Bronze and Silver), but seeing as I got it in 2008, is this too long ago for law school admissions in this upcoming cycle to care about this soft?

I've left it on my resume thus far.

Tom Joad

Gold

Re: Do admissions care about Gold Congressional Medals?

Post by Tom Joad » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

Do you know what the Congressional approval rate is right now?!

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:58 pm

So, you got the Congressional Gold Medal in 2008?

Outed as either Aung San Suu Kyi, a member of the Burmese equivalent to the House of Representatives, or Edward William Brooke III, the two-term U.S. Senator from Massachusetts who retired in 1979.

Either way your softs are decent, but they only help if you're tied with someone with the same GPA/LSAT so it's NBD. What are your stats, dawg?

nkp007

Bronze

Post by nkp007 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:01 pm

Tom Joad wrote:Do you know what the Congressional approval rate is right now?!
How many Gold Congressional Medals can I get with 100 Schrute bucks?

admisionquestion

Bronze

Post by admisionquestion » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:03 pm

If that was a successful outing, I am thoroughly impressed.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nonprofit-prophet

Silver

Post by nonprofit-prophet » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:04 pm

North wrote:So, you got the Congressional Gold Medal in 2008?

Outed as either Aung San Suu Kyi, a member of the Burmese equivalent to the House of Representatives, or Edward William Brooke III, the two-term U.S. Senator from Massachusetts who retired in 1979.

Either way your softs are decent, but they only help if you're tied with someone with the same GPA/LSAT so it's NBD. What are your stats, dawg?
They gave out over 200 that year.

--LinkRemoved--

dowu

Platinum

Post by dowu » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:05 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
Lol

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:08 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

--LinkRemoved--
My bad, I thought he was talking about this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congressional_Gold_Medal. False alarm.
admisionquestion wrote:If that was a successful outing, I am thoroughly impressed.
I'm disappointed too.

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:22 pm

I assume it is better than not having a gold medal if that helps any?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:09 pm

nonprofit-prophet wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

Without checking for sure, I'm pretty sure they gave out like 230 that year. In the scheme of things, I know its nowhere near as prestigious as a Rhodes or other fellowship. In fact, they aren't even related at all. However, it does account for over 600 hours of voluntary service, which hopefully someone cares about. Prolly not though. -_-

North wrote:
My softs are decent I'd say. 4.1 LSDAS, Civil Engineering major, honors program, 1.5 years work experience at major structural firms, good UG involvement, passed the FE (probably irrelevant but will allow me to sit for the patent bar, although so will my BSCE), great LORs, yada yada. I take the LSAT in October so can't say anything about that yet.

TTTehehe

Bronze

Post by TTTehehe » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:43 pm

They probably care about Gold Congressional MOHs. Not many alive with those, though.

Bill Cosby

Bronze

Post by Bill Cosby » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:10 pm

It may help a tad at the margin, but it's not going to be a gamechanger. If you do well on the LSAT though, it looks like you'll be a contender pretty much everywhere though.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:15 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:It may help a tad at the margin, but it's not going to be a gamechanger. If you do well on the LSAT though, it looks like you'll be a contender pretty much everywhere though.
Thanks. I hope so.

It's crazy that, while I was honestly interested in the causes I volunteered for, the whole program essentially helped 0% with scholarships or anything. Probably due to the fact that no one knows anything about the Congressional Award Program. Oh well, carry on I suppose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:32 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:
Bill Cosby wrote:It may help a tad at the margin, but it's not going to be a gamechanger. If you do well on the LSAT though, it looks like you'll be a contender pretty much everywhere though.
Thanks. I hope so.

It's crazy that, while I was honestly interested in the causes I volunteered for, the whole program essentially helped 0% with scholarships or anything. Probably due to the fact that no one knows anything about the Congressional Award Program. Oh well, carry on I suppose.
I had never heard of it until this post. I think it is pretty impressive though so take that FWIW.

Great LSAT and it won't matter anyway....

North

Gold

Post by North » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:24 pm

Mr. Frodo wrote:My softs are decent I'd say. 4.1 LSDAS, Civil Engineering major, honors program, 1.5 years work experience at major structural firms, good UG involvement, passed the FE (probably irrelevant but will allow me to sit for the patent bar, although so will my BSCE), great LORs, yada yada. I take the LSAT in October so can't say anything about that yet.
All mistaken trolling aside, I think it's a pretty cool honor. Keep it on your resume for sure, I'd be proud of that (now that I know what we're talking about, of course). Above all else, though, make sure to study as much as it takes for you to pull out a 172+ LSAT. Then enjoy HYS.

Mr. Frodo

Bronze

Post by Mr. Frodo » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:32 pm

North wrote:
Mr. Frodo wrote:My softs are decent I'd say. 4.1 LSDAS, Civil Engineering major, honors program, 1.5 years work experience at major structural firms, good UG involvement, passed the FE (probably irrelevant but will allow me to sit for the patent bar, although so will my BSCE), great LORs, yada yada. I take the LSAT in October so can't say anything about that yet.
All mistaken trolling aside, I think it's a pretty cool honor. Keep it on your resume for sure, I'd be proud of that (now that I know what we're talking about, of course). Above all else, though, make sure to study as much as it takes for you to pull out a 172+ LSAT. Then enjoy HYS.
Thanks man! That's the plan!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”