Law School Prediction Sites

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BobLoblaw's LawBlog

Law School Prediction Sites

Postby BobLoblaw's LawBlog » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:08 pm

Does anyone know the true reliability of websites lawschoolnumbers.com and lawschoolpredictor.com?

The former features applicant graphs and the latter will tell you your chances at being accepted to every law school based on GPA and LSAT score.

I have a 3.3/161 and it seems like one website says one thing and the next another.

Nova

Re: Law School Prediction Sites

Postby Nova » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:16 pm

LSN is quite reliable for showing trends. There are often very clear lines drawn. Try http://www.myLSN.info to calculate your chances based on LSN.

No13baby

Postby No13baby » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:19 pm

LSN is usually more accurate. LSP can be helpful to a point, but it often doesn't take into account the quirks of various schools. (For instance, LSP told me I was a likely admit at Boalt because of my LSAT/GPA average, but my GPA is low enough that I wouldn't have stood a chance there.) The algorithm tends to break down for splitters and URMs too.

If I understand correctly, LSP gets its data points from LSN anyway - better to go straight to the source.

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:37 pm

No13baby wrote:LSN is usually more accurate. LSP can be helpful to a point, but it often doesn't take into account the quirks of various schools. (For instance, LSP told me I was a likely admit at Boalt because of my LSAT/GPA average, but my GPA is low enough that I wouldn't have stood a chance there.) The algorithm tends to break down for splitters and URMs too.

If I understand correctly, LSP gets its data points from LSN anyway - better to go straight to the source.

LSP is very flawed but mylsn.info is useful. It's a good place to start, and from there you can get really granular with the LSN data (EDs, schollies, exact LSAT/GPA combos, etc.).

For the record. Forgot that mylsn.info isn't that helpful if you're mostly out of top 50.

ThreeRivers

Postby ThreeRivers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:27 pm

Lsp is a great "where the hell would I bave a chance starting point" to give you an idea. You should then look at those schools in that range on LSn to get a better picture

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”