What are Funny (Humorously Wrong) Things You've Heard... Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
prezidentv8

Gold

Re: What are Funny (Humorously Wrong) Things You've Heard...

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:46 pm

breadbucket wrote:I hate it when people think Penn State University is actually two different institutions.
"The one in Philadelphia."

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:52 pm

A girl I know routinely states her husband "aced" the LSAT.

1. There are no letter grades given.
2. He scored in the 160s.

EMH99

New

Post by EMH99 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:53 pm

I have a friend who wants to go to law school and tried convincing me to spend a ton of money on a vacation (I could in no way afford) because "You're going to law school and will make a ton of money, a few thousand bucks won't matter in the long run."

EMH99

New

Post by EMH99 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 3:54 pm

[quote="ilovelawtays"]A girl I know routinely states her husband "aced" the LSAT.

That reminds me of another one of my favorites.

"Did you pass the LSAT?"

pattonthicke

Bronze

Post by pattonthicke » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:20 pm

ilovelawtays wrote:2. He scored in the 160s.
so did 25% of stttanford---but i guess it is kind of a crappy school

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:29 pm

pattonthicke wrote:
So did 25% of Chapman---must be a great school, right?

ilovelawtays

Bronze

Post by ilovelawtays » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:31 pm

pattonthicke wrote:
Calm down there, little buddy. I'm sure your 160+ is going to get you into some great schools. Try not to take everything so personally.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:41 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
IsTheFatLadySinging wrote:Me: "I go to a local TTTT"
Attorney: Pause, "I have heard good things about local TTTT."
Me: "I'm transferring in the fall though"
Attorney: "Thank god, I didn't want to say anything"
i lol'd a lil'

Yep. That thar was funny.

jackattack17

Bronze

Post by jackattack17 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:45 pm

My personal favorite: "So you're an L1?" "No, I'm a 1L."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ood

New

Post by ood » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Guy in remedial english: "I don't worry about grammar much. 99% of being a lawyer is knowing how to talk."

North

Gold

Post by North » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:55 pm

I was at the library the other day doing LSAT prep and ran into a guy I know from a pre-law society on campus. We got to talking about law school ambitions. He told me that he was planning on Columbia with his 3.3ish GPA and 150's LSAT because -- and he was dead serious -- the fraternity he is in was founded at Columbia.

I said, "That's not... Bro, law school Adcomms don't really consider things like that. You need something like a 174 on the LSAT to even have a chance at Columbia with your GPA."

His response was, "Dude, how do you think George Bush got into Yale? Skull and Bones. All It takes is one person at admissions from my fraternity to pull for me."

Wasn't sure what to say after that. True life.

Cool

Stupe

Bronze

Post by Stupe » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:04 pm

jackattack17 wrote:My personal favorite: "So you're an L1?" "No, I'm a 1L."
Which one is you?

L1/1L is a legitimate mistake, especially to an outsider, since other grad programs put the number after the letter.

howlery

Bronze

Post by howlery » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:09 pm

North wrote:I was at the library the other day doing LSAT prep and ran into a guy I know from a pre-law society on campus. We got to talking about law school ambitions. He told me that he was planning on Columbia with his 3.3ish GPA and 150's LSAT because -- and he was dead serious -- the fraternity he is in was founded at Columbia.

I said, "That's not... Bro, law school Adcomms don't really consider things like that. You need something like a 174 on the LSAT to even have a chance at Columbia with your GPA."

His response was, "Dude, how do you think George Bush got into Yale? Skull and Bones. All It takes is one person at admissions from my fraternity to pull for me."

Wasn't sure what to say after that. True life.

Cool
Unless this guy is the son of a wealthy politician with ties to Columbia I don't see how he can honestly come to that conclusion. Didn't Bush get in to Skull & Bones because of his dad? This thread is frightening.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

howlery wrote:Unless this guy is the son of a wealthy politician with ties to Columbia I don't see how he can honestly come to that conclusion. Didn't Bush get in to Skull & Bones because of his dad? This thread is frightening.
Two words:

"Sophisticated consumers."

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:19 pm

A friend of mine is from a smalltown (think real small, like a couple thousand) and was back home the summer before 1L when she started talking with a guy at a local community event. It was the typical amiable small talk, and when he asked what she was doing, she said, "I'm going to law school next year." He asked where, and she replied that she didn't know because she was still between two places.

As she tells it, he got this snooty look on his face and asked in a doubtful, mocking tone, "Well you ARE actually going to law school next year?" At the time she didn't know where she was going because she had just gotten of the WL at Stanford and was debating whether to stay or go. Not wanting to be a showoff, she politely informed him that she had just gotten off a WL and was weighing her options.

I lol'ed when she told me because his implication (that she was one of 'those people' talk about becoming a bigshot lawyer but can't get in anywhere, like probably pretty much everyone else from her hometown) was pretty clear. Dropping an S-bomb might've killed him.

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:40 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:Living in Texas, I hear things like this a lot:

"All those top schools are run by euro-trash homo-f@!king-sexual lib-rolls, dangit!!!... Go to South Texas."

The over-enunciation and all.

you are fail

ETA- so is this thread.

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:44 pm

swampthang wrote:A friend of mine is from a smalltown (think real small, like a couple thousand) and was back home the summer before 1L when she started talking with a guy at a local community event. It was the typical amiable small talk, and when he asked what she was doing, she said, "I'm going to law school next year." He asked where, and she replied that she didn't know because she was still between two places.

As she tells it, he got this snooty look on his face and asked in a doubtful, mocking tone, "Well you ARE actually going to law school next year?" At the time she didn't know where she was going because she had just gotten of the WL at Stanford and was debating whether to stay or go. Not wanting to be a showoff, she politely informed him that she had just gotten off a WL and was weighing her options.

I lol'ed when she told me because his implication (that she was one of 'those people' talk about becoming a bigshot lawyer but can't get in anywhere, like probably pretty much everyone else from her hometown) was pretty clear. Dropping an S-bomb might've killed him.
Probably depends on the small town. While Yale, Harvard and even "Princeton LS" have some serious lay prestige, a lot of people would have no clue Stanford is it that same club. Now if she was choosing between Oklahoma and Nebraska that is something people in Big Twelve country could relate too.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 am

JCFindley wrote:
swampthang wrote:A friend of mine is from a smalltown (think real small, like a couple thousand) and was back home the summer before 1L when she started talking with a guy at a local community event. It was the typical amiable small talk, and when he asked what she was doing, she said, "I'm going to law school next year." He asked where, and she replied that she didn't know because she was still between two places.

Probably depends on the small town. While Yale, Harvard and even "Princeton LS" have some serious lay prestige, a lot of people would have no clue Stanford is it that same club. Now if she was choosing between Oklahoma and Nebraska that is something people in Big Twelve country could relate too.
Very true (imagine if it were Penn vs. Chicago!), although she's out West and reports that her townsfolk hold Stanford in higher esteem than Harvard. I just thought it was hilarious that this random yokel had the audacity to mistake her modesty for idiocy.

PourMeTea

Platinum

Post removed.

Post by PourMeTea » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:25 am

Post removed.
Last edited by PourMeTea on Fri May 08, 2015 12:24 am, edited 2 times in total.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:18 am

PourMeTea wrote:At my school's pre-law advising center:

Girl: I want to submit a cute video essay. You know, like Elle Woods.

:roll: :lol:
PJENNEWE wrote: "Law school is so risky (at this point, I thought I was actually going to have an intelligent conversation). My friend went to law school and she can't find a job." "Where did your friend go?" "Eh, I dunno, I forgot the name of it. Started with a C?" "Columbia? Chicago? Cooley?" "Cooley! That was the name!"
these didn't happen.

PJENNEWE wrote: "You want to go to law school? You are probably really smart."
ThreeRivers wrote: "oooo law school? You must be really smart!!"

It's all comments as if just getting into any law school is some great accomplishment. I can really see how people get suckered into ttt / tttt
these humblebrags are more insufferable than anything else posted in this thread.

swampthang wrote:I just thought it was hilarious that this random yokel had the audacity to mistake her modesty for idiocy.
it wasn't.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:48 am

Most of these are not funny

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:35 am

rad lulz wrote:Most of these are not funny
True although this thread is just essentially another form of "things I overheard at the LSAT"

ThreeRivers

Silver

Post by ThreeRivers » Mon Jul 09, 2012 11:40 am

fatduck wrote:
PJENNEWE wrote: "You want to go to law school? You are probably really smart."

It's all comments as if just getting into any law school is some great accomplishment. I can really see how people get suckered into ttt / tttt
these humblebrags are more insufferable than anything else posted in
yea bro. Mentioning that people think attending a tier 4 is a good idea is definitely a humble brag on tls

swampthang

Bronze

Post by swampthang » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:18 pm

fatduck wrote:

these humblebrags are more insufferable than anything else posted in this thread.
So humble that he brags about not humblebragging? That's pretty meta.
fatduck wrote:
swampthang wrote:I just thought it was hilarious that this random yokel had the audacity to mistake her modesty for idiocy.
it wasn't.
It was. It is known.

Diamond

Post by 06102016 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:39 pm

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”