Academic Misconduct

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Curious1

Re: Academic Misconduct

Postby Curious1 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:00 am

At my school we have these things called "reprimands", and lots of academic dishonesty cases (as well as most other cases) are punished this way. My dean specifically said at a law school application thingie that these instances are a matter of internal record only, and the physical records would be destroyed upon graduation. He specifically said that you do NOT have to report anything to anyone, and that no one would ever see anything.

Keep in mind that to receive a "reprimand" you would have to be found guilty. If you're found not guilty, you still don't have to report anything to anyone. (Internal disciplinary proceedings are also destroyed upon graduation).

So, like other people said, go talk to your dean. I'm sure they get asked this all the time and will know how to help you. If your school has the same policy as mine (probably many smallerish private schools), then there's no reason to shoot yourself in the foot. If they're a stickler for records (I think most public schools are), then tough luck.

Edit* Oops, guess you did talk to your dean. Sorry dude.

I'll leave the original post to help onlookers.

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:42 am

Didn't the guy from Suits cheat on a test and couldn't get into law school because of it (or was he kicked out?)

I agree with the addenda regarding how it has affected you positively and what you have learned from it. Be honest as this will be looked at when you apply to the BAR. Regarding your T14 prospects, only one way to find out.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:11 pm

Curious1 wrote:At my school we have these things called "reprimands", and lots of academic dishonesty cases (as well as most other cases) are punished this way. My dean specifically said at a law school application thingie that these instances are a matter of internal record only, and the physical records would be destroyed upon graduation. He specifically said that you do NOT have to report anything to anyone, and that no one would ever see anything.

Keep in mind that to receive a "reprimand" you would have to be found guilty. If you're found not guilty, you still don't have to report anything to anyone. (Internal disciplinary proceedings are also destroyed upon graduation).

So, like other people said, go talk to your dean. I'm sure they get asked this all the time and will know how to help you. If your school has the same policy as mine (probably many smallerish private schools), then there's no reason to shoot yourself in the foot. If they're a stickler for records (I think most public schools are), then tough luck.

Edit* Oops, guess you did talk to your dean. Sorry dude.

I'll leave the original post to help onlookers.

Your undergrad dean doesn't determine what you do and do not have to disclose to law schools.

taxman128

Postby taxman128 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:47 pm

"Have you ever been dismissed from; placed on academic warning, academic probation, or conduct probation at; or subjected to
any academic or conduct disciplinary action in any of the colleges, universities, or graduate or professional schools you have
attended? (Please review copies of your transcripts to confirm the accuracy of your response to this question.)"

http://www.law.gmu.edu/assets/files/adm ... cation.pdf

elizcbeth

Postby elizcbeth » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:07 pm

Guys, there is NO WAY to make a generalization about disclosure because every school's wording is going to be different. Some will ask for warnings, any punishments, even if expunged. In my book, morally, that means full disclosure even if there's no written record. Some will only ask for certain punishments like probation or suspensions. In any case, the best thing to do is READ CAREFULLY.

Also, btw, even if there's no written record on file, you just wrote one on the internet.

As for your chances, I think if people can be accepted with DUI and criminal records, I think cheating and learning from it should be no problem. But that's a guess and you're still going to need outstanding grades and LSAT.

ze2151

Postby ze2151 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:12 pm

let's see, law schools are now accepting people who didn't even frigging apply. pretty sure if you're qualified otherwise, you'll be just fine.

BVest

Postby BVest » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:02 pm

Since you specifically asked about top schools, here are some misc top schools' relevant questions... note that many refer to sanction/discipline/disciplinary action, of which a failing grade on the assignment would be one:

2. Have you ever been subjected to a dismissal, suspension, probation, or other disciplinary or academic sanction by any college, university, or professional school?

1. Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on academic or disciplinary probation, disciplined,
expelled, requested or advised to resign from any post-secondary school, college, university, professional school, or
law school? (If you answer "yes," you must submit the Character and Fitness attachment. Include details, the current
status of any disciplinary action or judicial sanctions, and the final resolution of the issues involved. You will also be
required to have a dean, registrar, department supervisor, judicial officer, or academic officer with access to official
records from your institution submit a letter directly to the Office of Admissions that provides complete information
about the incident.)

1. Have you ever been the subject of any disciplinary action taken by any college or university?

1. Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for scholastic or other reasons at any academic institution?

4. Have you ever been dropped, suspended, warned, placed on academic or disciplinary probation, disciplined,
expelled, or requested or advised to resign from any post-secondary school, college, university, professional school, or
law school? If so, please explain fully on a separate sheet.

1. Have you ever at any college or university been in other than good standing because of academic deficiencies,
been censured for misconduct, or been the subject of disciplinary proceedings?

3. Have you ever been subjected to disciplinary action, or are charges pending against you at any academic
institution?
(This should include matters that have been expunged.)

1. Have you ever been suspended, expelled, placed on probation, or otherwise disciplined by any college or university
for academic or other reasons? (If yes, explain on a separate sheet or electronic attachment.)

While answering the two questions below, when in doubt, err on the side of full disclosure, as the failure to fully answer
any question may result in exclusion from law school or denial of the opportunity to take a state bar examination.
(Please note each state has character, fitness, and other qualifications for admission to the bar; we encourage you to
determine what those requirements are in the state(s) in which you intend to practice.) If, following your completion of
this application, matters arise that would require you to answer yes to either question, supplement your application with
complete details. Note that an affirmative answer to either question does not necessarily preclude or even prejudice
admission. Your answer will be reviewed on an individual basis in relation to all aspects of your experience, academic
achievement, and potential. You must submit an electronic attachment with any affirmative responses; provide
complete details, including dates and resolution (see Attachments section).
3. Have you ever been subject to disciplinary action for academic or other reasons in any of the colleges, universities,
graduate, or professional schools you have attended, or are such charges pending or expected to be brought against
you?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”