somewhat of a splitter...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

somewhat of a splitter...

Postby 05062014 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:52 pm

Last edited by 05062014 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Re: somewhat of a splitter...

Postby thederangedwang » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Harvard is gonna be tough with that gpa even if you do extremely well on the LSAT.

However, if you do get around a 173 or so, a lot of top 14 law schools will admit you with considerable scholarship money.

Nothing much to say now except study hard and do well on the oct lsat, keep your gpa as high as possible..and after you get your scores come back and ask us for advice. We can't tell you much without an actual score

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:10 am

Sorry but your ethnicity will not give you any bump in admissions. Asians (yes they are all lumped together) are an OVER-represented minority in law schools. There doesn't seem to be any minuses related to being Asian but definitely no pluses. That being said, write a DS to highlight the diversity you can bring to the class as a first generation American/dual citizen. Just dont expect the URM boost.

Kill the LSAT and you have good prospects at S + CCN down. HY will be your reaches.

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:16 am

Last edited by 05062014 on Sun Jul 22, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:52 am

yes, go ahead and prepare a short addendum. But realize that it probably won't help you that much.

Your number 1 goal now is to get a super lsat score. Until then, dont worry about anything else

Yardbird

Postby Yardbird » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 am

abdistotle wrote:I've dealt with family issues on and off my UG years and I feel as if I am the only one who can appreciate the fluctuations in my semester grades as a result of issues that kept presenting themselves in varying severity over the years. I came out stronger because of it though. I believe everyone faces shit in their lives but I also know my GPA is not indicative of my capabilities. Would you guys recommend specifying s such issues in an addendum? If so, how much could that help?
T
The more I think about it, I realize that my personal statement will be a key factor in trying to better make up for my sub par GPA. ng in my race.

I plan to check off "other - Pakistan" for the sake of not proactively lumping myself in with all Asians. The option for me to do that is there because I believe law schools do see a difference among us.. but who knows. Maybe its just there to have me believe that. Thx for the advice guys.

Also, Sorry for any typos I'm on my android.

The addednum will help if you're borderline, but it probably won't help otherwise. They will not look at you as an URM even if you do select other. URM = AA, HA, NA

Postby 05062014 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:19 pm

Believe me I know my chances hinge on the LSAT. I have actually left my house and am self studying in solitude in upstate New York. I have set up a gym in the first floor so I get a workout on my way to making breakfast, lol. The rest of the day consists of studying. I think I burnt myself out but once I incorporated intense cardio/lifting into my daily regimen, things have gotten pretty easy concerning the LSAT. Now my worry is that I may be in too desensitized of an environment, but I think that speaks to the improvements I made more than anything.

Thanks guys, and good luck to you too if you're studying for Oct 2012!

Yukos

Postby Yukos » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:52 pm

abdistotle wrote:I've dealt with family issues on and off my UG years and I feel as if I am the only one who can appreciate the fluctuations in my semester grades as a result of issues that kept presenting themselves in varying severity. I came out stronger because of it though. I believe everyone faces shit in their lives but I also know my GPA is not indicative of my capabilities. Would you guys recommend specifying s such issues in an addendum? If so, how much could that help?

The more I think about it, I realize that my personal statement will be a key factor in trying to better make up for my sub par GPA.

I plan to check off "other - Pakistani" for the sake of not proactively lumping myself in with all Asians. The option for me to do that is there because I believe law schools do see a difference among us.. but who knows. Maybe its just there to have me believe that. Thanks for the advice guys.

To put it bluntly, it looks like you believe factors other than your GPA and your LSAT have more of an impact on your chances than they do. Take a look at this chart and notice how you can draw a perfect diagonal line between admits and rejects (with the outliers almost universally being URMs). The fact that you are a dual citizen is cool but will have little impact on your cycle. Kill your LSAT, and then you can start worrying about personal statements, diversity statements and whether you're going to be lumped in with the East Asians or not.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”