Law School Application Super Spreadsheet, 2012-2013

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
sunshinegirl
Posts: 21
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 2:19 am

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby sunshinegirl » Wed Aug 08, 2012 2:57 am

Kind of late to the game, but I wanted to say THANK YOU for creating this!

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby crossingfingers » Wed Aug 08, 2012 4:52 am

shadowofjazz wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:I think I recall you mentioning having been encouraged by a few schools to email again closer to app. release dates. Those schools might be worth mentioning (if not added to the spreadsheet) if you're willing (despite the regretful fact that those of us who are sans 180 may experience varying mileage with our requests).

Those are accounted for (listed as "solicited starting in...")



Sorry, that was directed at Champagne. I saw those you listed, but thought maybe Champagne had contacted a few others who we could add.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:10 pm

Well I sent a mass e-mail asking for fee waivers from CCN on down to USC. Here are my full results so far!

Schools that granted my solicited e-mail request:

GULC
WUSTL
UVA

Schools that told me to "check back with them" along with date:

UCLA: 9/15
Berkeley: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly)
USC: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly)
Mich: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly - only do merit through CRS searches)

Schools that say they only do CRS searches:


Vanderbilt
Chicago
NYU
Northwestern
Duke
Cornell
CLS


Other:

Texas:

Our fee waiver requirements and process are entirely separate from the LSAC process. Some schools will grant a fee waiver if the applicant has been granted one from LSAC, but The University of Texas School of Law has an entirely separate application for fee waivers. Application fee waivers for UT Law may be granted to applicants who can establish documented economic hardship. All applicants seeking fee waivers must submit a completed Application for Fee Waiver and a completed Application for Admission on or before November 1. Applicants wishing to apply for Regular Decision also may apply for a fee waiver; however, the Regular Decision application must accompany the Application for Fee Waiver and be submitted on or before November 1.

andreasmommy
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 am

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby andreasmommy » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:16 pm

I sent in my fee waiver, but I was waiting to hear back from the IRS to send me a non-filing confirmation for my taxes (so I sent it in late). I just saw my LSAC account and it said that the fee waiver has not been received and has been canceled and I will be charged.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Or advice?

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:30 am

andreasmommy wrote:I sent in my fee waiver, but I was waiting to hear back from the IRS to send me a non-filing confirmation for my taxes (so I sent it in late). I just saw my LSAC account and it said that the fee waiver has not been received and has been canceled and I will be charged.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Or advice?

Was it really necessary to post your question here when you had already made a thread for it? Have patience next time instead of trying to thread jack. This is a merit fee waiver TRACKER thread, not an LSAC fee waiver advice thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191121

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:32 am

ChampagnePapi wrote:Well I sent a mass e-mail asking for fee waivers from CCN on down to USC. Here are my full results so far!

Schools that granted my solicited e-mail request:

GULC
WUSTL
UVA

Schools that told me to "check back with them" along with date:

UCLA: 9/15
Berkeley: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly)
USC: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly)
Mich: 9/1 ("Need-based" allegedly - only do merit through CRS searches)

Schools that say they only do CRS searches:


Vanderbilt
Chicago
NYU
Northwestern
Duke
Cornell
CLS


Other:

Texas:

Our fee waiver requirements and process are entirely separate from the LSAC process. Some schools will grant a fee waiver if the applicant has been granted one from LSAC, but The University of Texas School of Law has an entirely separate application for fee waivers. Application fee waivers for UT Law may be granted to applicants who can establish documented economic hardship. All applicants seeking fee waivers must submit a completed Application for Fee Waiver and a completed Application for Admission on or before November 1. Applicants wishing to apply for Regular Decision also may apply for a fee waiver; however, the Regular Decision application must accompany the Application for Fee Waiver and be submitted on or before November 1.

None of those are new. Berkeley is 100% no soliciteds, same for CCN, Northwestern, Cornell and Duke. UCLA/USC told me to check back. Michigan sent out unsoliciteds already and told me that many of those are hidden.

andreasmommy
Posts: 52
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:23 am

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby andreasmommy » Thu Aug 09, 2012 2:32 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
andreasmommy wrote:I sent in my fee waiver, but I was waiting to hear back from the IRS to send me a non-filing confirmation for my taxes (so I sent it in late). I just saw my LSAC account and it said that the fee waiver has not been received and has been canceled and I will be charged.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Or advice?

Was it really necessary to post your question here when you had already made a thread for it? Have patience next time instead of trying to thread jack. This is a merit fee waiver TRACKER thread, not an LSAC fee waiver advice thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191121



Actually, I am not trying to "thread jack" you. I'm not very familiar with TLS and I've been told the mods don't like to open new threads, when threads were already opened on similar subjects. So instead of being a rude and narrow minded, have a bit of consideration for other posters.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:04 pm

andreasmommy wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
andreasmommy wrote:I sent in my fee waiver, but I was waiting to hear back from the IRS to send me a non-filing confirmation for my taxes (so I sent it in late). I just saw my LSAC account and it said that the fee waiver has not been received and has been canceled and I will be charged.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Or advice?

Was it really necessary to post your question here when you had already made a thread for it? Have patience next time instead of trying to thread jack. This is a merit fee waiver TRACKER thread, not an LSAC fee waiver advice thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=191121



Actually, I am not trying to "thread jack" you. I'm not very familiar with TLS and I've been told the mods don't like to open new threads, when threads were already opened on similar subjects. So instead of being a rude and narrow minded, have a bit of consideration for other posters.

My point is still that you opened a thread before posting here. That makes your point useless. Also, for the record fee waiver trackers are usually not for need based waivers, just merit. You seemed to have received an answer from LSAC, though.

User avatar
Eichörnchen
Posts: 1119
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:51 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Eichörnchen » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:27 pm

Thanks for this! The amount of helpful people on TLS always amazes me.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:10 pm

Completely random but...

LSAC Transcript Processing seems to be taking about 5-10 business days from mailing out from undergrad.
LSAC Recommendation Processing seems to be taking about 3 business days.

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:06 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Got fee waiver from Cornell as well.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:37 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:Got fee waiver from Cornell as well.

VasaVasori wrote:Just got a big packet + fee waiver from Cornell.

Both were in the mail?

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:07 pm

Added Cornell (I have one waiting for me at home in IL apparently). Also added MN as I just got one a few minutes ago via email.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:33 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Got fee waiver from Cornell as well.

VasaVasori wrote:Just got a big packet + fee waiver from Cornell.

Both were in the mail?


Mine was via e-mail request.

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:39 pm

ChampagnePapi wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Got fee waiver from Cornell as well.

VasaVasori wrote:Just got a big packet + fee waiver from Cornell.

Both were in the mail?


Mine was via e-mail request.

ChampagnePapi, merit-based or need-based? Last I checked they only do need-based by email request.

User avatar
Rahviveh
Posts: 2271
Joined: Mon Aug 06, 2012 12:02 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Rahviveh » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:51 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
ChampagnePapi wrote:Got fee waiver from Cornell as well.

VasaVasori wrote:Just got a big packet + fee waiver from Cornell.

Both were in the mail?


Mine was via e-mail request.

ChampagnePapi, merit-based or need-based? Last I checked they only do need-based by email request.


Merit-based! Guess I am special snowflake! Haha jk. But I definitely will never EVER qualify for anything need based...

User avatar
TheThriller
Posts: 2285
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:12 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby TheThriller » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:52 pm

Unsolicited waiver from Minnesota

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby crossingfingers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.

User avatar
goden
Posts: 2281
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:52 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby goden » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:01 pm

crossingfingers wrote:For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.

I got two separate emails -- one was for fee waiver and one was the "we invite you to apply" one. So I don't believe the email you received is implying a waiver.

VasaVasori
Posts: 573
Joined: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm

.

Postby VasaVasori » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:04 pm

.
Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
crossingfingers
Posts: 171
Joined: Mon Jun 11, 2012 9:20 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby crossingfingers » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:06 pm

Very helpful, thanks!

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:38 pm

MN is already in the spreadsheet. Doublecheck the spreadsheet before making a post about an unsolicited waiver. I've gotten every unsolicited that's been sent out so far so odds are I'm updating it as you post. If you don't see it within an hour or so, then make a post to let me know (For example, I probably won't get unsoliciteds from CCNBP).

User avatar
Yardbird
Posts: 1093
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:40 pm

VasaVasori wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.

I actually received two emails from them - one at 2:07 which explicitly mentioned a fee waiver and one at 2:47 which was precisely the same except that there was no mention of a fee waiver and no invitation to visit.

Here's the first one:

University of Minnesota wrote:Dear Mr. VasaVasori,

Greetings from Minneapolis! As you continue the law school application process, we invite you to apply to the University of Minnesota Law School. Minnesota is one of the premier law schools in the nation and has produced some of the world’s finest legal, civic and business leaders for over 120 years. In recognition of your LSAT performance, this email serves as a FEE WAIVER for your University of Minnesota Law School application. This fee waiver will appear automatically as you complete your online application. Our application for fall 2013 admission will be available on September 1.

Minnesota Law features:

10.8:1 student/faculty ratio
Over 12,000 active alumni
24 live-client legal clinics
8 research institutes
7 academic journals
10 semester study abroad programs
Summer comparative law program in China
7th largest law library in the nation
Over 200 joint and dual degree opportunities
97.6% bar passage rate

Approximately 78% of our Fall 2011 entering class received scholarship aid. Our graduates practice in all 50 states and 44 foreign countries, in the world’s top law firms, state and federal government and their agencies, public interest organizations, federal, state and tribal courts, and businesses of all sizes. Minnesota boasts a thriving legal, corporate and non-profit community and a Twin Cities metropolitan area that is often ranked among the most livable in the nation.

If you can’t visit us in person please visit http://www.law.umn.edu and http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/. You can also reach us at jdadmissions@umn.edu .

Good luck with your law school search!

______________________________
University of Minnesota Law School
Office of Admissions
290 Walter F. Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis,MN55455
http://www.law.umn.edu


(the emphasis is not added - it was in the email)

and here's the second one:

University of Minnesota wrote:Dear Mr. VasaVasori,

Greetings from Minneapolis! As you continue the law school application process, we invite you to apply to the University of Minnesota Law School. One of the premier law schools in the country, Minnesota Law offers a comprehensive legal education to train leaders in the legal profession for the challenges of the future.

Minnesota Law features:
10.8:1 student/faculty ratio
Over 12,000 active alumni
24 live-client legal clinics
8 research institutes
7 academic journals
10 semester study abroad programs
Summer comparative law program in China
7th largest law library in the nation
Over 200 joint and dual degree opportunities
97.6% bar passage rate

Approximately 78% of our Fall 2011 entering class received scholarship aid. Minnesota boasts a thriving legal, corporate and non-profit community and a Twin Cities metropolitan area that is often ranked among the most livable in the nation. Learn more about Minnesota at http://www.law.umn.edu and http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/. You can also reach us at jdadmissions@umn.edu. Our application for fall 2013 admission will be available on September 1.

Good luck with your law school search!

________________________________
University of Minnesota Law School
Office of Admissions
290 Walter F. Mondale Hall
229 19th Avenue South
Minneapolis, MN 55455
http://www.law.umn.edu


I actually thought comparing the two emails was interesting, seeing what they left out.

I was surprised they left this part out in particular:

If you can’t visit us in person please visit http://www.law.umn.edu and http://www1.umn.edu/wishyouwerehere/. You can also reach us at jdadmissions@umn.edu .

They have it, just worded differently. The only missing thing I can see is the 120 years business from the non-fee waiver email.

LSP12
Posts: 42
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:58 pm

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Postby LSP12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 7:42 pm

crossingfingers wrote:For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.



I received the same "invite to apply email." I called Minnesota to confirm that it was not a waiver and asked if they would be sending out more waivers in the future. The rep said they did not think any more merit waivers would be sent and suggested applying for a financial waiver. I'm a bit confused as to how the waivers were awarded though (my LSAT score/GPA are in a similar range as other TLS posters who expressed receiving a waiver).
Anyone know what would account for this?




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests