Law School Application Super Spreadsheet, 2012-2013 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
facile princeps

Bronze

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Post by facile princeps » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm

I was assured by a few threads on here that law schools no longer average LSAT scores. Interesting to see this. Thanks.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:21 pm

facile princeps wrote:I was assured by a few threads on here that law schools no longer average LSAT scores. Interesting to see this. Thanks.
If you write a compelling addendum they will likely look at the higher score since that is what they have to report anyways. Some schools require an addendum if its a huge difference in scores (usually if it takes you out of your score band).

Ex: if your first LSAT was a 165 with a score band of 162-168 and your second LSAT was a 172 with a score band of 169-175, an addendum can be useful to find out why there was a huge increase. They aren't going to average a 165 and a 172, that's just silly (165=/=168.5 and a 172 =/=168.5, they are too statistically different). A 165 and a 166, however, would be more likely to be averaged (165.5 is not that statistically different from a 165 or 166).

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:45 pm

Since this is being discussed: I have a 166 and a cancel from Oct,Dec 2 years ago and got a 169 in June. When I got my 166 I was working full time and writing a thesis and simply didn't prep as well. What are y'alls thoughts on writing an addendum for that? 169 is on the far end of the band for a 166, but since there's been a good bit of time between the scores and I felt I was more prepared in June (though I did fall short a bit from my PT average). Addendum or no?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:00 pm

RSterling wrote:Since this is being discussed: I have a 166 and a cancel from Oct,Dec 2 years ago and got a 169 in June. When I got my 166 I was working full time and writing a thesis and simply didn't prep as well. What are y'alls thoughts on writing an addendum for that? 169 is on the far end of the band for a 166, but since there's been a good bit of time between the scores and I felt I was more prepared in June (though I did fall short a bit from my PT average). Addendum or no?
Very much getting off topic, but just write an addendum. You took it 2 years ago and things have changed (an it can't hurt for a 3 pt increase). PM me if you have follow up questions.

Let's try and stay on the topic of appreqs/fee waivers. Post updates for requirements if you note any changes and fee waivers (solicited or unsolicited). Any other concerns are off-topic.

Jaytray

New

Post by Jaytray » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:35 pm

Does anyone know if it might be advantageous to play dumb and email schools requesting a waiver when you know they only offer unsolicited ones to encourage them to include you in their next batch? Was thinking it might help if your numbers aren't super strong for their school (say, slightly above median) and you're thinking you might get overlooked. Most likely schools don't care though I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RSterling

Bronze

Post by RSterling » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:40 pm

Jaytray wrote:Does anyone know if it might be advantageous to play dumb and email schools requesting a waiver when you know they only offer unsolicited ones to encourage them to include you in their next batch? Was thinking it might help if your numbers aren't super strong for their school (say, slightly above median) and you're thinking you might get overlooked. Most likely schools don't care though I guess.
I plan on e-mailing and asking every school that I plan on applying to even if I know they don't offer unsolicited waivers.

FWIW, two cycles ago I e-mailed a school that didn't offer unsolicited fee waivers. Instead of getting an e-mail back from the admissions office I got the general fee-waiver e-mail that goes out.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:25 pm

RSterling wrote:
Jaytray wrote:Does anyone know if it might be advantageous to play dumb and email schools requesting a waiver when you know they only offer unsolicited ones to encourage them to include you in their next batch? Was thinking it might help if your numbers aren't super strong for their school (say, slightly above median) and you're thinking you might get overlooked. Most likely schools don't care though I guess.
I plan on e-mailing and asking every school that I plan on applying to even if I know they don't offer unsolicited waivers.

FWIW, two cycles ago I e-mailed a school that didn't offer unsolicited fee waivers. Instead of getting an e-mail back from the admissions office I got the general fee-waiver e-mail that goes out.
Most of the schools use an automated search feature for CRS and if they do unsolicited only, they won't include you in that search. If you got that email it was likely pure coincidence. I found out the unsolicited only stuff in the spreadsheet from emailing the schools I was interested in applying to (all of them but GW and Fordham have answered with a yes, no, or a wait and then email us).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:49 pm

I would not do this. Some schools specifically say on their websites that they do not offer solicited merit based fee waivers. It'll look like you didn't do your due diligence during research if you ask.

Oreofan

New

Post by Oreofan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:32 pm

Did anyone get an unsolicited fee waiver form Michigan yet? Email? For those of you that emailed schools inquiring about a merit based fee waiver--what did you say in your email?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DEO3029

New

Post by DEO3029 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:02 pm

Wow. This is definitely really helpful and very much appreciated.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jul 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Oreofan wrote:Did anyone get an unsolicited fee waiver form Michigan yet? Email? For those of you that emailed schools inquiring about a merit based fee waiver--what did you say in your email?
Unsoliciteds have gone out from Michigan. I had tried to solicit one before the wave and was told to wait until apps are available to submit. They said many of their waivers are hidden. If you don't receive one by the time you apply you can try soliciting then.

Oreofan

New

Post by Oreofan » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:41 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
Oreofan wrote:Did anyone get an unsolicited fee waiver form Michigan yet? Email? For those of you that emailed schools inquiring about a merit based fee waiver--what did you say in your email?
Unsoliciteds have gone out from Michigan. I had tried to solicit one before the wave and was told to wait until apps are available to submit. They said many of their waivers are hidden. If you don't receive one by the time you apply you can try soliciting then.
If you don't mind, what are your stats? Hoping for some fee waiver love from UMich.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Oreofan wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:
If you don't mind, what are your stats? Hoping for some fee waiver love from UMich.
Low GPA High LSAT extreme splitter

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:50 pm

UPDATE

~ Updated Penn's ED info to reflect the second round.

LSP12

New

Post by LSP12 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 pm

I've received waivers from the following schools after sending admissions an email with my numbers soliciting a merit waiver...

Georgetown
Indiana (Bloomington)

Exchanged emails with the following schools and have not yet received waivers...

WashU - stated that waivers not sent out until applications open
Wisconsin - asked to resend request 2-3 weeks before submitting app

Edit to add unsolicited waivers
Rutgers (email)
Cincinnati (email)
Charlotte School of Law (email)
UPhoenix (email)
UArizona (email)
SMU (email and US mail))
Seton Hall (email)

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:11 pm

LSP12 wrote:I've received waivers from the following schools after sending admissions an email with my numbers soliciting a merit waiver...

Georgetown
Indiana (Bloomington)

Exchanged emails with the following schools and have not yet received waivers...

WashU - stated that waivers not sent out until applications open
Wisconsin - asked to resend request 2-3 weeks before submitting app

Edit to add unsolicited waivers
Rutgers (email)
Cincinnati (email)
Charlotte School of Law (email)
UPhoenix (email)
UArizona (email)
SMU (email and US mail))
Seton Hall (email)
Added Bloomington. The rest are already accounted for.

TheThriller

Gold

Post by TheThriller » Sun Aug 05, 2012 5:32 pm

Lovin all this info!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:17 am

Added William & Mary fee waiver (unsolicited)

Rahviveh

Gold

Post by Rahviveh » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:01 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:Added William & Mary fee waiver (unsolicited)
Got the same.

I've been able to solicit fee waivers from

Georgetown
UVA
WUSTL

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:13 pm

I think I recall you mentioning having been encouraged by a few schools to email again closer to app. release dates. Those schools might be worth mentioning (if not added to the spreadsheet) if you're willing (despite the regretful fact that those of us who are sans 180 may experience varying mileage with our requests).

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 1:14 pm

tag.
app dates

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Tue Aug 07, 2012 3:07 pm

I think you're missing NYU on the fee waiver tracker...

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 07, 2012 7:03 pm

one_by_one wrote:I think you're missing NYU on the fee waiver tracker...
To my knowledge they haven't been sent out yet. If they have, I'll add it.
crossingfingers wrote:I think I recall you mentioning having been encouraged by a few schools to email again closer to app. release dates. Those schools might be worth mentioning (if not added to the spreadsheet) if you're willing (despite the regretful fact that those of us who are sans 180 may experience varying mileage with our requests).
Those are accounted for (listed as "solicited starting in...")
ChampagnePapi wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:Added William & Mary fee waiver (unsolicited)
Got the same.

I've been able to solicit fee waivers from

Georgetown
UVA
WUSTL
I'll add WUSTL when I get to my computer.

Br3v

Gold

Post by Br3v » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:13 pm

Have people already been emailing or receiving free waivers for this cycle? (from legitimate schools)

one_by_one

Bronze

Post by one_by_one » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:57 pm

Last edited by one_by_one on Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”