Law School Application Super Spreadsheet, 2012-2013 Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Yardbird

Silver

Re: Law School AppReqs & Fee Waiver Tracker 2012-2013

Post by Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:20 pm

LSP12 wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.

I received the same "invite to apply email." I called Minnesota to confirm that it was not a waiver and asked if they would be sending out more waivers in the future. The rep said they did not think any more merit waivers would be sent and suggested applying for a financial waiver. I'm a bit confused as to how the waivers were awarded though (my LSAT score/GPA are in a similar range as other TLS posters who expressed receiving a waiver).
Anyone know what would account for this?
My email specifically mentioned my LSAT performance. My GPA won't warrant a merit waiver ay any school. I'm assuming its a hard cutoff at an LSAT score and a hard cutoff at a certain GPA, both of which you may have missed in their CRS search.

Also, this is in line with trying to keep LSAT medians high by giving waivers to high scorers in the hopes that they apply. It is a wee bit unfair though, as I know I'm not applying to UMN and others really need the fee waiver. If I could give mine away I would. Maybe try sending a merit fee waiver request?

LSP12

New

Post by LSP12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:32 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
LSP12 wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:For those of you who just got UMN: I received a "we invite you to apply" email at about the time that you seem to have received your fee waivers. Is there specific mention of "waiver" or is my invitation implying a waiver? I only ask because I'd really like to avoid requesting a waiver only to hear that "we've already applied one, leave us alone". Thanks in advance for any help.

I received the same "invite to apply email." I called Minnesota to confirm that it was not a waiver and asked if they would be sending out more waivers in the future. The rep said they did not think any more merit waivers would be sent and suggested applying for a financial waiver. I'm a bit confused as to how the waivers were awarded though (my LSAT score/GPA are in a similar range as other TLS posters who expressed receiving a waiver).
Anyone know what would account for this?
My email specifically mentioned my LSAT performance. My GPA won't warrant a merit waiver ay any school. I'm assuming its a hard cutoff at an LSAT score and a hard cutoff at a certain GPA, both of which you may have missed in their CRS search.

Also, this is in line with trying to keep LSAT medians high by giving waivers to high scorers in the hopes that they apply. It is a wee bit unfair though, as I know I'm not applying to UMN and others really need the fee waiver. If I could give mine away I would. Maybe try sending a merit fee waiver request?
Thanks for the thoughts, but that's the frustrating thing - I know others with equal or lesser LSAT scores and GPAs who received a waiver. And my numbers are well above their median. Oh well... :roll:

lawschoolboundfuture

Bronze

Post by lawschoolboundfuture » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:34 pm

I got a packet of info from Cornell in the mall today but no few waiver mentioned. We're those separate mailings for those who got a Cornell waiver?

LSP12

New

Post by LSP12 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:37 pm

lawschoolboundfuture wrote:I got a packet of info from Cornell in the mall today but no few waiver mentioned. We're those separate mailings for those who got a Cornell waiver?
The Cornell waiver appeared at the bottom of the letter included with a view book.
"P.S. We're also waiving your application fee. Why not give us a try"

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:51 pm

LSP12 wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, but that's the frustrating thing - I know others with equal or lesser LSAT scores and GPAs who received a waiver. And my numbers are well above their median. Oh well... :roll:
Maybe URMs or vets or something?
LSP12 wrote:
lawschoolboundfuture wrote:I got a packet of info from Cornell in the mall today but no few waiver mentioned. We're those separate mailings for those who got a Cornell waiver?
The Cornell waiver appeared at the bottom of the letter included with a view book.
Definitely at the bottom, had my mom open my letter that's waiting at home and she confirmed its a P.S.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

VasaVasori

Silver

Post by VasaVasori » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:21 am

Last edited by VasaVasori on Sat May 02, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 14, 2012 11:43 am

VasaVasori wrote:Did anyone else look at the viewbook that Cornell gave them? I'm wondering what the contents were. Mine seem personalized for me - that is, it covered all and only the programs I had expressed interest in on LSAC, and it also included a section about diversity and LGBT aspects of the school, both of which apply to me.

I'm just interested because I feel like it's a ton of effort to go through and print out one of these customized for each potential student. The shipping alone was $3, I'm sure the book itself cost at least $3 to print. There are at least 3000 people out there with my numbers or better, so that's $18,000 plus the ridiculous amount of time it would take to print the custom booklets.

I'm not complaining - I like it, and I'm really interested in Cornell. Just a point of interest.
If they get one person out of that 3,000 to come and pay full tuition, they'll make back that money 10 times over.

TrialLawyer16

Bronze

Post by TrialLawyer16 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:58 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
VasaVasori wrote:Did anyone else look at the viewbook that Cornell gave them? I'm wondering what the contents were. Mine seem personalized for me - that is, it covered all and only the programs I had expressed interest in on LSAC, and it also included a section about diversity and LGBT aspects of the school, both of which apply to me.

I'm just interested because I feel like it's a ton of effort to go through and print out one of these customized for each potential student. The shipping alone was $3, I'm sure the book itself cost at least $3 to print. There are at least 3000 people out there with my numbers or better, so that's $18,000 plus the ridiculous amount of time it would take to print the custom booklets.

I'm not complaining - I like it, and I'm really interested in Cornell. Just a point of interest.
If they get one person out of that 3,000 to come and pay full tuition, they'll make back that money 10 times over.
+1 I believe that's why schools give out so many fee waivers as well

taf889

New

Post by taf889 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:57 pm

"we invite you to apply" emails... simply the best.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:59 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
LSP12 wrote:Thanks for the thoughts, but that's the frustrating thing - I know others with equal or lesser LSAT scores and GPAs who received a waiver. And my numbers are well above their median. Oh well... :roll:
Maybe URMs or vets or something?
LSP12 wrote:
Definitely at the bottom, had my mom open my letter that's waiting at home and she confirmed its a P.S.
It could be URM. I'm a URM and got a fee waiver at 168. My friend is ORM and did not get a fee waiver with 171. Email also sent same time as the regular spam one, and mentioned only LSAT score.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:19 pm

It's a really nice booklet, but I don't think it's personalized. At least, I got the same diversity and LGBT section, and neither description applies to me. Maybe your interests just happen to perfectly align with everything Cornell has chosen to highlight?

To add to the fee waiver discussion: stats in profile, non-URM, fee waiver mentioned in the letter's P.S.

danitt

Gold

Post by danitt » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:43 am

I'm an international applicant so I figured I'd chime in for internationals who may be applying this cycle. I sent out emails to all the schools that I was interested in to request. Most asked me to submit my financials and then they'd make a decision. UVA gave one to me outright. There were a few denials (NYU, American, USC, WUSTL). But for the most part I'm still playing the wait and see game.

In that vein, am I supposed to respond to the email informing me that I was granted the waiver. Like a thank you email or anything?

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:29 pm

So Cornell emailed me today saying my request for a need based waiver had been approved. I think I may have gotten a merit and a fee based one, lol. Cornell's need based is based on current financial aid awards at your undergrad. For reference, tuition at my undergrad is roughly 42k and I have a 30k need based grant plus federal loans and work study.

On another note, some applications are available today and have been updated to "NOW" in the spreadsheet. The schools won't accept them until 9/1 though.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Jaytray

New

Post by Jaytray » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:22 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:So Cornell emailed me today saying my request for a need based waiver had been approved. I think I may have gotten a merit and a fee based one, lol. Cornell's need based is based on current financial aid awards at your undergrad. For reference, tuition at my undergrad is roughly 42k and I have a 30k need based grant plus federal loans and work study.

On another note, some applications are available today and have been updated to "NOW" in the spreadsheet. The schools won't accept them until 9/1 though.
Can't see the "NOW" update. Is that column E or someplace else?

tyler.durden

Bronze

Post by tyler.durden » Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:31 pm

Checkin in, also got the Cornell view book and fee waiver letter

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Wed Aug 15, 2012 5:30 pm

Jaytray wrote:
shadowofjazz wrote:So Cornell emailed me today saying my request for a need based waiver had been approved. I think I may have gotten a merit and a fee based one, lol. Cornell's need based is based on current financial aid awards at your undergrad. For reference, tuition at my undergrad is roughly 42k and I have a 30k need based grant plus federal loans and work study.

Can't see the "NOW" update. Is that column E or someplace else?
I posted here pre-emptively. The "NOW" updates are live.

Updated Chicago's apps as you can submit them now should you choose to (I think...someone call and double check or something).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Fri Aug 17, 2012 5:27 pm

+ Added info about Chicago's "Chicago Scholars" program. Added the William & Mary fee waiver I got a week ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:00 pm

I recognize that they're listed under unsolicited, but you can mark down Alabama for solicited as well. I think it should prove useful to double list schools that do both (as you did with Georgetown).

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:36 pm

crossingfingers wrote:I recognize that they're listed under unsolicited, but you can mark down Alabama for solicited as well. I think it should prove useful to double list schools that do both (as you did with Georgetown).
No one had reported a solicited waiver from Alabama, that's why it wasn't on there. This is a confirmation tracker of fee waivers, not a "they gave them last cycle so they will again" tracker. If you solicited one please reply with the date they responded and I'll add it.

spicyyoda17

Bronze

Post by spicyyoda17 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:11 pm

Unsolicited from UCLA this afternoon

cahwc12

Silver

Post by cahwc12 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:22 pm

spicyyoda17 wrote:Unsolicited from UCLA this afternoon
same here... 3.4 / 168 which puts me below / at median.

Is this a presumptive deny application invite? or a "hey we think you would actually come here and want you to apply"

Either way I plan to apply to UCLA so that was a $75 email for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GATA1989

New

Post by GATA1989 » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:38 pm

Unsolicited Fee Waiver from UGA via snail mail this afternoon, 164 LSAT and I'm in state (not sure if that matters)

Yardbird

Silver

Post by Yardbird » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:43 pm

UCLA and UGA added. I can confirm the UCLA one myself (I'm not home so I don't know if I got UGA yet). UCLA is probably 100% based on LSAT since I still qualified for one (extreme-splitter here).

crossingfingers

Bronze

Post by crossingfingers » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:10 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:
crossingfingers wrote:I recognize that they're listed under unsolicited, but you can mark down Alabama for solicited as well. I think it should prove useful to double list schools that do both (as you did with Georgetown).
No one had reported a solicited waiver from Alabama, that's why it wasn't on there. This is a confirmation tracker of fee waivers, not a "they gave them last cycle so they will again" tracker. If you solicited one please reply with the date they responded and I'll add it.
Indeed! They responded today to my request from last week. I just added the explanation because you seemed to chastise a few earlier posters who mentioned a waiver already listed and was trying to spare myself the snark. Anyhow, this consistently updated sheet is wildly helpful, which is why I think so many people are erring on the side of over-reporting.

Dr. Filth

Silver

Post by Dr. Filth » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:17 pm

shadowofjazz wrote:UCLA and UGA added. I can confirm the UCLA one myself (I'm not home so I don't know if I got UGA yet). UCLA is probably 100% based on LSAT since I still qualified for one (extreme-splitter here).
:( I didn't get one.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”