Advice on a 4th retake? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
idontwantdebt1467

New

Advice on a 4th retake?

Post by idontwantdebt1467 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:54 pm

I'm new to TLS and need some major advice from those with more knowledge/experience with law school admissions.

I sat for the LSAT twice in 2008 while I was in grad school (bad idea) and scored a 157 and 161 with very little studying/preparation.

Early this year, I realized I really wanted to go to law school and decided to actually prep and sit for the exam again. Took it in June and scored a 169, although I was scoring around 173-175 on my practice tests so I know I can do better. So, my question is: should I take the LSAT for a fourth time, and if I do, will I have any chance at Stanford, Berkeley, Harvard? Would taking it a fourth time just make the admissions committee think I'm an idiot? Also, I'd really prefer to stay in the Bay Area as my fiance is a practicing attorney in Cali, and he would hate to have to sit for another bar exam although he'd do it if we wanted to move.

Here's some more information on me:
UGPA: 3.94 (large public university, played women's basketball)
LSAT: 169 (highest and most recent)
I have an MBA in finance, and for what it's worth, I just sold my software company (probably not relevant).

I want to apply on the first day to the T14 - would it be harmful to my application if they received another score at the end of October after they've already looked over my application?

If you've read this far, thank you! I appreciate any advice!

Platinum

Re: Advice on a 4th retake?

Post by 2014 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Yes you should take it a 4th time if you were legit scoring 173-175 average on accurately timed PTs. You will only look like an idiot if you score lower and even then it's not clear whether that's even a big negative.

Keep in mind however that if you have a registration on file for the October LSAT schools can see this and there will be no reading of your file before hand, they will wait until your October score is in. If you have your apps in that early though they will go complete before all of the October takers who are not as well prepared and you will still easily be sufficiently early to maximize your chances.

Also with your numbers as is you already have a good shot at most of 4-14 and a tiny chance at Stanford. Your retake is really all about scholarships and HYS.

idontwantdebt1467

New

Post by idontwantdebt1467 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 9:07 pm

Thank you for your response! I didn't realize schools could see that I was registered for the Oct test. That's good to know.

BalanceCare

Bronze

Post by BalanceCare » Fri Jul 06, 2012 10:30 pm

figure out your weaknesses, study hard, and kick ass on the retake

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:03 am

Definitely worth retaking.

I think just cranking through tests is the best idea. Learn from your mistakes, but just keep on taking full length test in test simulations. When I finally took my retake, I had taken so many tests that I didn't even get nervous or anxious at all (which is rare for me). Just felt like another boring day in the library.

Good luck. Great GPA, great scores, and good work experience. You'll have a lot of acceptances to choose from.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MrSparkle

Bronze

Post by MrSparkle » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:05 pm

I bet you could get into Berkeley right now with those numbers and a good essay that utilizes their 4-page limit well.

idontwantdebt1467

New

Post by idontwantdebt1467 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:07 pm

Thanks for all the great advice! I'm getting pumped to study now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”