Please help with ED strategy

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
masked kavana

Please help with ED strategy

Postby masked kavana » Fri Jul 06, 2012 11:20 am

So my cycle turned out to be pretty wacky this year:

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/maskedkavana

I think some schools saw me as a URM, others not so much.

After retroactively withdrawing from a lot of classes I ended up with a 3.33 GPA (from a 2.5)

Am thinking about retaking the LSAT in October but not sure yet.

From bay area and hope to come back to it after finishing law school.

Any recommendations about where to ED?

(I was hoping for penn or nyu but that may be overly optimistic)

No13baby

Re: Please help with ED strategy

Postby No13baby » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:25 pm

You could probably snag a Penn ED with a 170+ LSAT.

crossingfingers

Postby crossingfingers » Fri Jul 06, 2012 6:15 pm

Quick numbers questions/comments: your LSAC GPA is now a 2.5 or now a 3.3? Also, I'd retake. If you can pull a 170+ (or especially a 173+), you're looking at an entirely different scenario.

I'm hardly the most knowledgeable source, but I have fairly similar numbers and I was under the impression that even with a 2.x plus high (170ish LSAT), you've got a very outside shot at UVA, decent at Northwestern (especially with strong work experience). The most common response to your situation (I'm fairly certain) is to apply EA to UVA, who replies in weeks, and then if rejected, apply binding ED to Northwestern, stressing your work experience. Of course, as you probably already know, the common sentiment is that you should prepare to apply as early as possible to max your chances.

SaintsTheMetal

Postby SaintsTheMetal » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:07 am

crossingfingers wrote:Quick numbers questions/comments: your LSAC GPA is now a 2.5 or now a 3.3? Also, I'd retake. If you can pull a 170+ (or especially a 173+), you're looking at an entirely different scenario.

I'm hardly the most knowledgeable source, but I have fairly similar numbers and I was under the impression that even with a 2.x plus high (170ish LSAT), you've got a very outside shot at UVA, decent at Northwestern (especially with strong work experience). The most common response to your situation (I'm fairly certain) is to apply EA to UVA, who replies in weeks, and then if rejected, apply binding ED to Northwestern, stressing your work experience. Of course, as you probably already know, the common sentiment is that you should prepare to apply as early as possible to max your chances.

You can't do that. Northwestern's ED says that you have not applied ED anywhere else. You can ED to NU first, but with the full ride attached to it it's not gonna happen with those numbers

Scotusnerd

Postby Scotusnerd » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:47 am

Am I the only one who thought that E.D. meant something else entirely? :shock:

Also...retake!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”