Possible explanations for unemployment beyond ITE

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
fatduck

Re: Possible explanations for unemployment beyond ITE

Postby fatduck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:55 am

i think that very, very few people understand the regional nature of a law degree going into law school.

i know i had no idea that "ties" would be necessary, etc, and i'm not an idiot. most people i've explained it to in other fields seem kind of surprised by it.

fatduck

Re: Possible explanations for unemployment beyond ITE

Postby fatduck » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:05 am

flem wrote:It seems pretty specific to law, probably because networking is so important and firms can be selective due to a surplus of graduates.

I think a lot of people take the rankings as gospel and otherwise smart people go "Oh, WUSTL is ranked in the top 25, it must have a great national reputation."

I want to go to school in region A, but I wank to work in region B (where you have no ties or explanation for being there)

I think people just treat it like undergrad and think they'll be mobile otherwise.

but it does work that way even in other grad programs

a friend of mine is a phd, and i was like "where are you looking to work after you graduate?" he's like "oh i dunno, maybe the pacific northwest, i've heard it's nice up there." and it's not even a big deal, even though he's from the south and went to school in the south.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”