Advice on whether or not to take a gap year! thanks!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
davesong2

Advice on whether or not to take a gap year! thanks!

Postby davesong2 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:50 am

hey guys,

this is my first or second post on these forums...but I guess that is acceptable in that i am relatively new. i was hoping to grab your advice on my application process.

i just received my LSAT score and got a 164. i maxed out on PTs after 1.5 months of studying at 163 so i am somewhat satisfied with my score.

my main problem is my GPA. i guess you could say that my case is "unique" as everyone else's undoubtedly is. i entered undergrad at a top 35 school as a biology major. after 1.5 years, or 3 semesters, i realized that medical school was not for me. however, at this point, my gpa had dipped quite low. after switching to political science, my gpa skyrocketed. i have finished my junior year of undergrad and my cumulative GPA sits at 3.06. if you were to take away the first 1.5 years, my GPA would be 3.67. I was originally planning to apply to law school this fall during my senior year, but i have now begun to think that i should wait a year so that i can replicate what i did junior year during my senior year to boost my GPA. then i can apply to law schools the fall following my graduation.

my ultimate goal is a top 35 law school. any input would be great, guys. thanks in advance.

dingbat

Re: Advice on whether or not to take a gap year! thanks!

Postby dingbat » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:21 am

your gpa is low and your LSAT is nothing special. Take a year out. As you said, next year your GPA should be higher and work experience is a plus. A break between studies can refresh your energy and motivation and you could be invigorated by it. Or, you get really lucky and fall into a career that you really enjoy.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with taking a year out. Go, have fun, and enjoy the real world.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:44 am

Agreed that you can never go wrong with getting some work experience. Whether or not you go to law school, it's good to figure out what you do and don't like about various work environments, not to mention the possibility of gaining some skills while you're working.

thelawyler

Postby thelawyler » Wed Jul 04, 2012 6:51 am

I took time off, improved my LSAT, and I am sooo glad I did.

Take a year off.

davesong2

Postby davesong2 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:01 am

i appreciate your responses. im actually at a summer internship abroad at a law firm right now. the work experience is proving to be valuable, and has really inspired me to work harder, which is the reason i considered taking a year off to improve things in the first place.

do you have any ideas as to what i might be able to do during the year off, or when i should maybe try to retake the LSAT? i feel as if a solid three months of studying can do me well, as just over a month of studying seems to have been insufficient. thanks again.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:13 am

I know it's just a term, but I hate it when people refer to working for a year after college as a "gap year." A gap year is when I participated in a structured study abroad program between high school and college. Taking time off after college is called getting a job. When people call that a "gap year" I think they must just be too afraid of leaving school to call a spade a spade. (Unrelated, it's funny how no one ever says they left their Poli Sci program for engineering/hard science and their GPA shot up, but I've heard the reverse story like 50 times.)

Anyway, yes you should get a job and re-take the LSAT. You should get a job and work at it like you're going to be there forever. Give it a good-faith shot at being something that you could live with. Don't assume you're going to leave after just one year; play it by ear. It will make you a more rounded adult.

Samara

Postby Samara » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:28 am

IAFG wrote:I know it's just a term, but I hate it when people refer to working for a year after college as a "gap year." A gap year is when I participated in a structured study abroad program between high school and college. Taking time off after college is called getting a job. When people call that a "gap year" I think they must just be too afraid of leaving school to call a spade a spade. (Unrelated, it's funny how no one ever says they left their Poli Sci program for engineering/hard science and their GPA shot up, but I've heard the reverse story like 50 times.)

Anyway, yes you should get a job and re-take the LSAT. You should get a job and work at it like you're going to be there forever. Give it a good-faith shot at being something that you could live with. Don't assume you're going to leave after just one year; play it by ear. It will make you a more rounded adult.

All of this. Well said.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jul 04, 2012 9:57 am

Go get a jerb and retake. Law school can wait.

$peppercorn

Postby $peppercorn » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:37 am

I second what all the people above say about taking a year off school and working. I did so and I am very happy that I did

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”