Florida law schools - UF/ Stetson/ Barry / FSU...

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
summer4627

Florida law schools - UF/ Stetson/ Barry / FSU...

Postby summer4627 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:49 am

The general opinion seems to be that UF is superior to other schools in Florida, such as Stetson and UM. I am just interested to learn why so many feel this way. Isn't it very difficult to accurately predict what the job market will be like for graduates of these schools, depending on alumni feedback? Just curious, because i will be making some decisions soon. I also will be staying in state, but is there seriously a huge employer judgement based on your school? I find this not to be the case for employment with a business undergrad, how you sell yourself is more important than your school.

It seemed to me that UF is such a big school that you are just another student and they could care less what happens to you there. Stetson had a very nice atmosphere to it, and i got the impression that it is also a rigorous program. With a 164 and 3.9 the scholarship factor is also important to me, what do you think?

Re: Florida law schools - UF/ Stetson/ Barry / FSU...

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:09 am

FSU and UF are considered total peers, USNWR be damned most of the advice on here is to go to whichever one is cheaper or you prefer. They are bargain priced for in state students too. They tend to place better than the other schools in Florida and are more portable in Florida and to a limited extent in GA, AL, and MS. TLS wisdom says Stetson and Miami are pretty much limited to Tampa and Miami respectively.

The real issue though is cost and since Stetson and Miami are private their COA is 100k more than FSU and UF for worse job prospects. You would need to have a scholarship from either one that more than made up that 100k difference for it to be a real decision imo.

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Stetson and Miami

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

Honey_Badger

Postby Honey_Badger » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:20 am

Don't forget FIU, which is going to be closest in cost to UF. They around #113 on USNWR I think and for the last few years have had the highest bar passage in the state. I'd steer clear of Barry/Nova/St. Thomas.
JMO

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Most people would advise you against going to schools in FL other than UF and FSU because of rankings.

I was very close to accepting admission to Stetson. They had courses, programs, and clinics that interested me, I had a great scholarship, and the people in admissions were nice. I made the decision to go to another school instead because I was worried about job prospects. I really liked Stetson, but I had to realize that no matter how well I did, I would still be competing with schools like UF and FSU who have a more regional reach, along with 3 similarly ranked schools in the same state. The school I'm going to is one of 2 in the state, and has a strong alumni base, so I felt more comfortable with job prospects there. I'm sure things would have turned out fine for me, but with this economy, I needed to feel more confident.

I think your law school is only important for getting your first job, then after that, its you ability and personality that will help you succeed. But getting your first job is very important to the rest of your career, and schools like UF and FSU may be able to give you more connections.

Your GPA and LSAT are likely to get you pretty decent scholarships

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:25 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Most people would advise you against going to schools in FL other than UF and FSU because of rankings.

It's because of shit job prospects and high costs, herp derpington.

UF and FSU aren't doing great, but they're cheap.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:07 am

rad lulz wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Most people would advise you against going to schools in FL other than UF and FSU because of rankings.

Damn, that was uncalled for.

PaulKriske

Postby PaulKriske » Sun Jul 08, 2012 12:09 am

cutecarmel wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

no, it wasn't.

SilverE2

Postby SilverE2 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:04 am

cutecarmel wrote:
rad lulz wrote:

wat

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”