Ranking of T14, from most to least prestigious Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
thederangedwang

Silver

Re: Ranking of T14, from most to least prestigious

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:47 am

ohh, thought we were talking bout university, not law

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:16 pm

Almost want to drop Penn from my #1 choice because I don't feel like explaining to all my friends in CA that Penn is NOT Penn State. Undergrad all over again :(

also, on the west coast, I had NO CLUE that people regard any of the Big10 schools as prestigious. The only thing I knew about Purdue is that Drew Brees played there, and they have a stupid ass train mascot. Northwestern was one of the shittiest AQ FBS schools, and is in like Montana or some shit

stanford/caltech>berkeley/harvard/yale/mit>entire UC system>anything else

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:44 pm

SaintsTheMetal wrote:Almost want to drop Penn from my #1 choice because I don't feel like explaining to all my friends in CA that Penn is NOT Penn State. Undergrad all over again :(

also, on the west coast, I had NO CLUE that people regard any of the Big10 schools as prestigious. The only thing I knew about Purdue is that Drew Brees played there, and they have a stupid ass train mascot. Northwestern was one of the shittiest AQ FBS schools, and is in like Montana or some shit

stanford/caltech>berkeley/harvard/yale/mit>entire UC system>anything else
I would not recommend writing that in your "Why Northwestern" statement.

As a fellow West Coaster, re B1G I would say Michigan does have a favorable reputation out here. I think OSU is looked at as better than your average (non-UC) public, but it's definitely still a party school.

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:13 pm

Harvard
Yale
Columbia
Stanford
Georgetown
Cornell
Berkeley (though only if referred to as berkeley and not boalt)
Duke
NYU
Penn
Northwestern
Chicago
Michigan
Virginia

Asst. Principal Bone

New

Post by Asst. Principal Bone » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:21 pm

1. Roger M. Klotz
2. Douglas Yancey "Doug" Funnie
3. Porkchop
4. Patricia "Patti" Mayonnaise
5. Cleopatra "Dirtbike" Funnie
6. Mosquito "Skeeter" Valentine
7. Dale Valentine
8. Buddy "Bud" Dink
9. Beebe Bluff
10. Al and Moo Sleech
11. Smash Adams
12. Tippingdale "Tippi" Dink
13. Coach Spitz
14. Yale

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pballer

Bronze

Post by pballer » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:31 pm

subtle quailman trolling

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:58 pm

When I reflect back to the initial days of thinking about law schools, I had little idea what schools were in the top 10 (never heard of a top 14). Harvard, Yale were automatics. Stanford was no surprise, ditto the Ivy schools Cornel, Penn and Columbia (in no particular order). The one or two people I knew that ever had discussed NYU always did so in glowing terms - not a shocker to see them highly ranked. I had never heard of Chicago.

Then came the acceptances from schools. I thought I had hit the big time when I received interest from Ohio State, Tennessee, USC, etc. Little did I know.

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:05 pm

Renne Walker wrote:When I reflect back to the initial days of thinking about law schools, I had little idea what schools were in the top 10 (never heard of a top 14). Harvard, Yale were automatics. Stanford was no surprise, ditto the Ivy schools Cornel, Penn and Columbia (in no particular order). The one or two people I knew that ever had discussed NYU always did so in glowing terms - not a shocker to see them highly ranked. I had never heard of Chicago.

Then came the acceptances from schools. I thought I had hit the big time when I received interest from Ohio State, Tennessee, USC, etc. Little did I know.
You are probably the most consistently (and genuinely) stupid poaster on TLS. I want you to know that.

Renne Walker

Silver

Post by Renne Walker » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:41 pm

moneybagsphd wrote:You are probably the most consistently (and genuinely) stupid poaster on TLS. I want you to know that.
Probably? Is that all you got―probably? How about absolutely, undoubtedly, indisputably―don’t always be such a wimp, learn how to step up and own it! Run from LS, because we do not do probably. Forget about being an ump because saying it was probably a strike―not going to work out well. Good news is, you do not have to reply, because you are now on the ignore list―that is not a probably.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:51 pm

PDaddy wrote:In the aggregate, schools NOT named after places have more lay prestige. School named after people - fictitious or not - are thought to be most prestigious. Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, Baylor, Rice, Purdue...
Columbia is not a people

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:54 pm

piccolittle wrote:
PDaddy wrote:In the aggregate, schools NOT named after places have more lay prestige. School named after people - fictitious or not - are thought to be most prestigious. Stanford, Duke, Vanderbilt, Emory, Columbia, Baylor, Rice, Purdue...
Columbia is not a people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_columbus

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:59 pm

cool, had no idea columbia was namd after cc

edt: not being sarcastic..i actually do think its cool
Last edited by thederangedwang on Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:00 pm

Yukos wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Columbia is not a people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:01 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Yukos wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
Columbia is not a people
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Columbia_(name)
your article supports yukos article?

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:02 pm

thederangedwang wrote:your article supports yukos article?
Being pedantic. It's strictly named after the land (America/US) that was named after Columbus.

Fair enough, though, it's sometimes depicted as a fictitious lady. This was douchey, I know.

Although to me it's kind of like saying American University was named after Amerigo Vespucci. Technically maybe true, but ehhhh

Real Madrid

Silver

Post by Real Madrid » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:34 am

moneybagsphd wrote:
Renne Walker wrote:When I reflect back to the initial days of thinking about law schools, I had little idea what schools were in the top 10 (never heard of a top 14). Harvard, Yale were automatics. Stanford was no surprise, ditto the Ivy schools Cornel, Penn and Columbia (in no particular order). The one or two people I knew that ever had discussed NYU always did so in glowing terms - not a shocker to see them highly ranked. I had never heard of Chicago.

You are probably the most consistently (and genuinely) stupid poaster on TLS. I want you to know that.
Good God, your poasts reek of insecurity. Have you been bullied all of your life?

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:13 am

piccolittle wrote:
Being pedantic. It's strictly named after the land (America/US) that was named after Columbus.

Fair enough, though, it's sometimes depicted as a fictitious lady. This was douchey, I know.

Although to me it's kind of like saying American University was named after Amerigo Vespucci. Technically maybe true, but ehhhh
Conceptually, does this allow you to say that Columbia is named after a place rather than a person or people? American University's status as a namesake - fictitious, contrived or otherwise - is NOT analogous to the naming of Columbia University.

The fact is, Columbia University was - either directly or by extension - named after the Columbian period of exploration, which is defined by the existence and explorations of Christopher Columbus and those who either preceded or followed him.

On a side note, I always wondered why the UVA wasn't named Jefferson University.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

moneybagsphd

Silver

Post by moneybagsphd » Sat Jul 07, 2012 4:21 am

Real Madrid wrote: Good God, your poasts reek of insecurity. Have you been bullied all of your life?
Yes.

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:37 am

Curious1 wrote:
Pretty sure princeton has no law school
No shit dude, but regardless, wtf were you talking about re: Yale being a 'southerners' school? Just curious where you got that from.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:38 am

piccolittle wrote:
This is why nobody likes law students.

And lol at this thread. Why does anyone care what a random guy off the street thinks about law schools' respective prestige.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
piccolittle wrote:
This is why nobody likes law students.

And lol at this thread. Why does anyone care what a random guy off the street thinks about law schools' respective prestige.
I for one am hoping that my future law school carries enough lay prestige to get me laid, since my game or social skills will definitely not do it for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

smashingrobface

New

Post by smashingrobface » Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:41 pm

Said by my mother, while discussing NYC schools:

"Those (NYU and Columbia) sound nice, but if you get into Fordham, don't you pretty much have to go there?"

Similarly, she was stunned to the core when I told her that Emory isn't top-tier. Perspectives from the Deep South, y'all.

banjo

Silver

Post by banjo » Sat Jul 07, 2012 3:42 pm

A friend got into Booth but was rejected from Columbia and Stern. She was so disappointed. I had to spend an hour convincing her that Chicago had an incredible business school. She had literally never googled the rankings. Not even sure how she formed a school list.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”