Ranking of T14, from most to least prestigious Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
KevinP

Silver

Re: Ranking of T14, from most to least prestigious

Post by KevinP » Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:50 pm

^
But bro, factors such as total JD enrollment, Library Materials Expenditure, Total Titles in Library, and Number of Professional Librarians are just as important as First-Time Bar Passage Percentage, Median GPA/LSAT scores, and Percentage of Graduates Employed.

"And we give each of the 40 factors equal weight (2.5% each), a decision intended to reduce the impact of any single factor on the overall rankings, which is the fundamental flaw in US News.”"

Kikero

Silver

Post by Kikero » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Lawquacious wrote:

Usually a peaceful-minded guy, but someone needs to burn this effing school down. Figuratively of course.

Now they rank themselves #2 nationally? No wonder so many ppl hate this school.
I remember a couple of years ago before I had any idea of the rankings of law schools I saw that list. A girl I knew from my undergrad got accepted there (no idea why she even applied since I think she ended up at Vandy) and I was like "Congratulations! They're in the top 10 or something, right?" She gave me the worst death stare ever, and I only found out later that she thought I was making fun of her.

artfuldodger23

New

Post by artfuldodger23 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:22 pm

whoa how is Duke constantly higher in the majority of the posters lay rankings than UPenn?!?!?

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:24 pm

artfuldodger23 wrote:whoa how is Duke constantly higher in the majority of the posters lay rankings than UPenn?!?!?
Basketball.

lilhugsy24

New

Post by lilhugsy24 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:29 pm

rayiner wrote:
artfuldodger23 wrote:whoa how is Duke constantly higher in the majority of the posters lay rankings than UPenn?!?!?
Basketball.
+1 Coach K man

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Yukos

Gold

Post by Yukos » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:30 pm

lilhugsy24 wrote:
rayiner wrote:
Basketball.
+1 Coach K man
And Tucker Max.

westinghouse60

Bronze

Post by westinghouse60 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 5:59 pm

People were really amazed I got into Cornell, I think it's because of Andy from the office. Also I'm from NC, and while people recognize Duke as prestigious it's so hated here that that somewhat negates the effect. I think you also have to account for different types of lay prestige. People familar with higher education in general but not law school rankings per se aren't going to confuse UPenn with Penn state, are going to know UChicago is a good school, etc, even if they aren't 100% up on the US News rankings. In contrast, totally lay people are more likely to think Notre Dame law must be super prestigious, etc.

Chucky21

Bronze

Post by Chucky21 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:28 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:People were really amazed I got into Cornell, I think it's because of Andy from the office. Also I'm from NC, and while people recognize Duke as prestigious it's so hated here that that somewhat negates the effect. I think you also have to account for different types of lay prestige. People familar with higher education in general but not law school rankings per se aren't going to confuse UPenn with Penn state, are going to know UChicago is a good school, etc, even if they aren't 100% up on the US News rankings. In contrast, totally lay people are more likely to think Notre Dame law must be super prestigious, etc.
well to be honest, getting into Cornell, and any other T14 is quite a feat.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Chucky21 wrote:
westinghouse60 wrote:People were really amazed I got into Cornell, I think it's because of Andy from the office. Also I'm from NC, and while people recognize Duke as prestigious it's so hated here that that somewhat negates the effect. I think you also have to account for different types of lay prestige. People familar with higher education in general but not law school rankings per se aren't going to confuse UPenn with Penn state, are going to know UChicago is a good school, etc, even if they aren't 100% up on the US News rankings. In contrast, totally lay people are more likely to think Notre Dame law must be super prestigious, etc.
This is often forgotten on this site

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Greenandgold

Bronze

Post by Greenandgold » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:59 pm

moonman157 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:
Not forgotten, simply irrelevant to the majority of the conversations that take place on these forums. For example, you can pat yourself on the back for scoring above a 164 on the LSAT since only 10% of test takers do, but what's the point? Without a stellar gpa that scores gonna be lucky to break the top 20. In which case you'll more than likely come out of school with more debt than your job enables you to pay back and your wonderful achievement of scoring so well on the LSAT will be meaningless. Well it's the same thing with getting into certain schools, such as Cornell. Yea, it's not easy to do, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It's certainly a lot better than most other law schools, but this isn't 2006 anymore and Cornell and plenty of other T14 schools don't give you the guarantee of a high paying job that they used to.

moonman157

Silver

Post by moonman157 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 1:11 am

Greenandgold wrote:
moonman157 wrote:
Chucky21 wrote:
Not forgotten, simply irrelevant to the majority of the conversations that take place on these forums. For example, you can pat yourself on the back for scoring above a 164 on the LSAT since only 10% of test takers do, but what's the point? Without a stellar gpa that scores gonna be lucky to break the top 20. In which case you'll more than likely come out of school with more debt than your job enables you to pay back and your wonderful achievement of scoring so well on the LSAT will be meaningless. Well it's the same thing with getting into certain schools, such as Cornell. Yea, it's not easy to do, but that doesn't really mean a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. It's certainly a lot better than most other law schools, but this isn't 2006 anymore and Cornell and plenty of other T14 schools don't give you the guarantee of a high paying job that they used to.
I certainly don't disagree with this, and the advice that TLS dispenses is fantastic. But when you're reading through a thread about the LSAT, and everyone has scored in the 170s, it's easy to get used to those scores being thrown around a lot and forgetting what an accomplishment that is. Again, this makes sense, but it certainly can distort the reality of law school admissions.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:53 am

PDaddy wrote:
kwais wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
Neander wrote: Eh, not sure about Baylor and Purdue :P
Ask people on the street. Those names sound like hot shit! As a matter of fact, I bet people think Baylor and Purdue have hot shit law schools, just like Princeton.
really depends on where you are from. There is not a soul I knew growing up in New England who thinks that a prestigious school could exist in Texas and in whatever state Purdue is in.
Credited, but mostly because everyone, even northeasterners, pretty much assumes that the northeast is the hotbed of U.S. education. Old reputations die hard. Purdue is a bit trickier, because it is in the midwest (Indiana) and part of the Big-10. Other than the Ivy league, the midwestern schools that comprise the pre-2000 Big-10 are believed to be the most impressive academic consortium. Besides, the people you mention have to know that Notre Dame is also in Indiana.
This thread is dumb, mainly because prestige is so localized, but I am jumping in to say that the Purdue thing is totally credited. I have met several people outside the Midwest who think that Purdue is some super-preftigous private school. Even in Illinois, people talk about it like its on par with NU and UChi.

The problem with "lay prestige" is that you can't really compare schools usefully. NU earns its prestige from top 12 law, medicine and business schools. Purdue earns its prestige from its top ten engineering school, #1 ag school, #1 aerospace program, and a host of other top five programs. (Purdue doesn't even have a law or med school!) So, unless you're interested in business school (top 3 v. top 40), comparing the prestige of NU to Purdue is stupid.
Last edited by Samara on Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:11 am

tfleming09 wrote:LOL @ people ranking Chicago as high as they are on lay prestige. Penn, Chicago and Northwestern have the least lay prestige of any school in the T14. The thing is, they outplace all of their peer schools that are more lay prestigious.

Which brings me back to my original point, lay prestige is worthless. Notre Dame has more lay prestige than any schools that isn't HYS
Except in Indiana, humorously enough. Notre Dame is no more prestigious than Purdue or Indiana U in the Hoosier state. In some circles, you could argue that Butler and Ball State are on par with Notre Dame.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 am

Agree with the posts by Bernaldiaz & lawquacious on page 2 of this thread that law school lay prestige starts with Harvard then Notre Dame & UCLA. Georgetown is also among the top five.

Harvard
Georgetown
Notre Dame
UCLA

After these law schools, lay prestige is regional, in my opinion. In The South, for example, Duke, Virginia & Vanderbilt law schools would be listed among the most prestigious, while in The West, Stanford & Berkeley impress.

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:35 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Agree with the posts by Bernaldiaz & lawquacious on page 2 of this thread that law school lay prestige starts with Harvard then Notre Dame & UCLA. Georgetown is also among the top five.

Harvard
Georgetown
Notre Dame
UCLA

After these law schools, lay prestige is regional, in my opinion. In The South, for example, Duke, Virginia & Vanderbilt law schools would be listed among the most prestigious, while in The West, Stanford & Berkeley impress.
I disagree w your top 5 and their national prestige. In the Midwest and north, ND is a big deal. Prestige diminishes outside of that. For instance, no one in the South gives a damn about Notre Dame (or UCLA for that matter)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:40 am

Agree that UCLA is not a factor in The South, although Notre Dame will register on the lay prestige scale even in this region. Relatively speaking, do you think Southerners care about Cornell, Berkeley, Penn, NYU, Columbia, or Yale ?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:41 am

IMO, in terms of lay prestige,

National:
Harvard
Yale
Stanford
Everyone else

M/V/P is probably the most under rated

TMC116

Bronze

Post by TMC116 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:45 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Agree that UCLA is not a factor in The South, although Notre Dame will register on the lay prestige scale even in this region. Relatively speaking, do you think Southerners care about Cornell, Berkeley, Penn, NYU, Columbia, or Yale ?
All of those names are recognizable minus Penn. People, sadly, either confuse it w Penn State or think it's just a random public university

Columbia and Yale are *definitely* well respected.

EDIT: I agree that MVP are the most underrated. Sad but true

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:11 am

"Recognizable" does not equal "prestige".

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:23 am

CanadianWolf wrote:"Recognizable" does not equal "prestige".
What kind of Southerner are we talking about here? I should think that anyone with a minimum level of education should both recognize and respect Columbia and Yale more than Georgetown, UCLA, or Notre Dame.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:25 am

The grits eatin' kind. :D

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:31 am

tfleming09 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:What kind of Southerner are we talking about here? I should think that anyone with a minimum level of education should both recognize and respect Columbia and Yale more than Georgetown, UCLA, or Notre Dame.
(assumes people in the south actually have a minimum level of education)
Well Yale was traditionally the school for elite southerners way back when, so I'd think that name still carries some weight down there with the general population. I agree that Columbia might not have a lot of pull for uneducated southerners.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:10 am

Curious1 wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
Curious1 wrote:What kind of Southerner are we talking about here? I should think that anyone with a minimum level of education should both recognize and respect Columbia and Yale more than Georgetown, UCLA, or Notre Dame.
Well Yale was traditionally the school for elite southerners way back when, so I'd think that name still carries some weight down there with the general population. I agree that Columbia might not have a lot of pull for uneducated southerners.
pretty sure that was princeton

Curious1

Silver

Post by Curious1 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

thederangedwang wrote:
Curious1 wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
pretty sure that was princeton
Pretty sure princeton has no law school

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”