Stanford... How do they see "softs" (URM)?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Oscar85

Stanford... How do they see "softs" (URM)?

Postby Oscar85 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:29 am

I don't want to make a what are my chances threat, but I do want to get an understanding of Stanford Law school, seeing as this is my dream law school. I am projecting a GPA of 3.75 (I've looked into all my grades since I started my undergraduate) and am Mexican-American... What do you guys think would be the minimum to be accepted at Stanford? Would a 170 suffice? In addition to this, I have two years of work experience (full time while going to school...) and I also participated in a program from my old high school in which I would act as a mentee for incoming students (I attended a high school were poverty was prevalent and where there was a general lack of interest in school) for an entire semester. Those don't look like great resume fillers to me, though, but who knows... Also, a calculator would simply take my LSAT + GPA into account... I was wondering if you guys could help me based on other factors. Thanks.

dixon02

Re: Stanford... How do they see "softs" (URM)?

Postby dixon02 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:56 am

Oscar85 wrote:I don't want to make a what are my chances threat, but I do want to get an understanding of Stanford Law school, seeing as this is my dream law school. I am projecting a GPA of 3.75 (I've looked into all my grades since I started my undergraduate) and am Mexican-American... What do you guys think would be the minimum to be accepted at Stanford? Would a 170 suffice? In addition to this, I have two years of work experience (full time while going to school...) and I also participated in a program from my old high school in which I would act as a mentee for incoming students (I attended a high school were poverty was prevalent and where there was a general lack of interest in school) for an entire semester. Those don't look like great resume fillers to me, though, but who knows... Also, a calculator would simply take my LSAT + GPA into account... I was wondering if you guys could help me based on other factors. Thanks.

Stanford is pretty impossible to predict. They're elite enough and their class is small enough that they really do seem to take an applicant's entire application into account. A quick peek at LSN suggests you would at least have a shot as low as 167, but again who knows. The best things you can do (other than the obvious of crushing the LSAT): keep that GPA as high as possible, try to take on a leadership role at your job or with some other campus organization, work hard on all aspects of your application to make sure it's perfect, and apply as early in the cycle as you can.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”