3.6/163...IP Law..Boston?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
ejrubin

3.6/163...IP Law..Boston?

Postby ejrubin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:59 am

My profile:

-163 LSAT (took it three times)...Was consistently testing at 167/168 before the last one but nerves continue to get the best of me. The October test marks two years since my first test, so I assume December is the earliest I can take it again?

-3.61 GPA undergrad in the social sciences. I pulled a "180" and got into computer science, and I am almost finished matriculating for my Masters Degree in Computer Science at the Boston University night program. GPA for my MSCS degree is high, although this is not relevant to law schools.

-I am interested in getting into IP law (patents). I am two physics courses away from being eligible to take the patent bar.

-In the ideal world, I would want to work at a Boston IP Firm prosecuting and/or litigating patents.

-UCONN is very tempting for me, as I am at their 75th % in both LSAT and GPA and I am already a resident. With a scholarship, I could be paying very little money for a JD. UCONN doesn't have too much reach in Boston, but I do wonder if my technical background may give me a leg up on the competition in terms of landing a job outside of CT. Do I stand a shot at getting a job at a patent attorney in the Boston area if I go to UCONN or would it be a lost cause?

-Northeastern? Unless I get a ridiculous scholarship, I can't justify this price.

Suggestions?

bp shinners

Re: 3.6/163...IP Law..Boston?

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:16 pm

ejrubin wrote:-I am interested in getting into IP law (patents). I am two physics courses away from being eligible to take the patent bar.

What's your undergrad major? Qualifying to sit for the patent bar is great, but if you don't have a degree that patent firms will like, it won't matter.

If you majored in CompSci, some type of engineering, or (possibly) mathematics, then you should be good with the undergrad degree. If you majored in biology, physics, or chemistry, you'll need at least a Master's to be competitive. If you majored in one of those and go to a top school, you can also find a job; however, you won't be doing interesting work in your field. Rather, you'll be doing basic medical device patent work.

ejrubin

Postby ejrubin » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:20 pm

I majored in the social sciences in undergrad (nothing technical)...but changed course and am almost done with my Masters Degree in Computer Science (I've been working towards this for nearly two years, along with some part time work experience). With two sequential physics courses, I should be eligible under Category B Option 4.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:37 am

ejrubin wrote:am almost done with my Masters Degree in Computer Science

That's the important part - like I said, it's great if the patent office thinks you're qualified to argue patents, but what really matters is employers. With a degree in CompSci, you should easily find work at a patent firm after law school.

The technical background will definitely help you place in Boston (or any other area), even without a Top law school on your resume. However, you are going to have to work a little harder to find a job than someone with a comparable background going to BC/BU. Luckily, there aren't many people with a comparable background (MA in CompSci and a JD).

ejrubin

Postby ejrubin » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:41 pm

I'm going to bump this post because I have an additional question:

December is the earliest I can retake again. With my stats and with the end goal of BC, should I apply with my stats in September, or apply in late December as soon as I get my scores back? I know a third option would be to apply in September with an addendum to explain that a fourth LSAT score will be coming in December.

Thanks.

Postby 20121109 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:57 pm

Please do not double post.

If anyone wants to further assist OP please see the other thread:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=188364

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”