Law school or not!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
qvorum
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 am

Law school or not!

Postby qvorum » Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:33 am

Hey guys, I am at an all time low here! I took the October LSAT and cancelled, because I did a few silly mistakes. I took in December and got 167. My GPA is 3.76. Got waitlisted at Georgetown, Duke, Columbia, Cornell and Vanderbilt and accepted at George Washington, BU and William and Mary. I thought it will be a good idea (in retrospect it wasn't!) to take it a third time in July and after studying my ass off, I got a 163 and I feel completely terrible!!! I am not sure what happened there. How do you thing they will see my last (third and lowest) score and do you think I have a chance at any of those places I got waitlisted at? Thanks.

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby 2014 » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:42 am

Your situation is not great and it is one that not many people here have experience with. Most people here ultimately buckle down and go up on their 2nd or final test and the debate is whether schools average or view their last score as being accurate and the consensus is that your highest score is your score.

My gut feeling says your 167 is going to stand, but you probably should have an addendum ready if you decide to reapply.

As for your options, you probably aren't getting off of any of those WLs being below both medians and I don't see any of their medians falling below either of your numbers next year so it doesn't look any better then.

As for your thread question, that depends where you are deposited at, how much money they offered you, and most importantly whether you want to be a lawyer.

User avatar
smaug_
Posts: 2195
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:06 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby smaug_ » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:48 am

If you want to take this seriously, you should thoughtfully consider if law is the right decision for you while working and studying for a final shot at the LSAT. I doubt the waitlists will go well for you at this point. Don't rush into a decision here if you don't need to.

EDIT: I missed the cancel. I guess it is either postpone for a few years or accept where you're at. :(
Last edited by smaug_ on Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:27 am

hibiki wrote:If you want to take this seriously, you should thoughtfully consider if law is the right decision for you while working and studying for a final shot at the LSAT. I doubt the waitlists will go well for you at this point. Don't rush into a decision here if you don't need to.


Cancel-167-163. No retakes.

Its def not gonna help you get off the WL, thats for sure. Prob will slightly hurt, since other WLers scores undoubtably went up.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:00 pm

qvorum wrote:Hey guys, I am at an all time low here! I took the October LSAT and cancelled, because I did a few silly mistakes. I took in December and got 167. My GPA is 3.76. Got waitlisted at Georgetown, Duke, Columbia, Cornell and Vanderbilt and accepted at George Washington, BU and William and Mary. I thought it will be a good idea (in retrospect it wasn't!) to take it a third time in July and after studying my ass off, I got a 163 and I feel completely terrible!!! I am not sure what happened there. How do you thing they will see my last (third and lowest) score and do you think I have a chance at any of those places I got waitlisted at? Thanks.



There's a July LSAT now?!

Anyway, honestly, you probably messed up your chances. Now its just a waiting game. You can write an addendum if you have a really good excuse for not doing well. But there is nothing wrong with the schools you got into. Why not just go to one of those schools instead of giving up law school all together?

qvorum
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:23 am

Re: Law school or not!

Postby qvorum » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:03 pm

Hey guys, I should have been a bit more through in my explanation. I am sorry about that. In all honesty, I had to gulp down a bottle of chardonnay to soften the blows to my self-esteem! I can't say I was sober when I wrote the first message...

I have completely given up on this admission cycle. And I realize that score completely terminated my chances at the few places I was waitlisted at. I am intending to apply again next September. My questions was how those schools will see my quite inconsistent scores in the fall when I apply again. And do you think I still stand a chance at any of those schools (Georgetown, Cornell, UPenn, University of Virginia)? Thanks.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:08 pm

You'll probably be admitted to one or two schools at which you were waitlisted. Believe it or not, the lower score may help because now they'll get you to sign up at sticker price.

P.S. Would you be willing to pay sticker price for Columbia, Duke, Cornell, Georgetown or Vanderbilt ? If so, let them know.

User avatar
Chucky21
Posts: 294
Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:36 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby Chucky21 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:06 am

Nova wrote:
hibiki wrote:If you want to take this seriously, you should thoughtfully consider if law is the right decision for you while working and studying for a final shot at the LSAT. I doubt the waitlists will go well for you at this point. Don't rush into a decision here if you don't need to.


Cancel-167-163. No retakes.

Its def not gonna help you get off the WL, thats for sure. Prob will slightly hurt, since other WLers scores undoubtably went up.


*undoubtedly

User avatar
2014
Posts: 5831
Joined: Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:53 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby 2014 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:43 am

qvorum wrote:Hey guys, I should have been a bit more through in my explanation. I am sorry about that. In all honesty, I had to gulp down a bottle of chardonnay to soften the blows to my self-esteem! I can't say I was sober when I wrote the first message...

I have completely given up on this admission cycle. And I realize that score completely terminated my chances at the few places I was waitlisted at. I am intending to apply again next September. My questions was how those schools will see my quite inconsistent scores in the fall when I apply again. And do you think I still stand a chance at any of those schools (Georgetown, Cornell, UPenn, University of Virginia)? Thanks.

None of those are at all likely to happen, you should aim lower (and gun the hell out of the WLs you are on now, you have nothing to lose)

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Law school or not!

Postby Nova » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:06 am

Chucky21 wrote:
Nova wrote:
hibiki wrote:If you want to take this seriously, you should thoughtfully consider if law is the right decision for you while working and studying for a final shot at the LSAT. I doubt the waitlists will go well for you at this point. Don't rush into a decision here if you don't need to.


Cancel-167-163. No retakes.

Its def not gonna help you get off the WL, thats for sure. Prob will slightly hurt, since other WLers scores undoubtably went up.


*undoubtedly


*It's *definitely *going to *that's *Probably

User avatar
Lawquacious
Posts: 2037
Joined: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:36 am

Re: Law school or not!

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:12 am

CanadianWolf wrote:You'll probably be admitted to one or two schools at which you were waitlisted. .



Hold out for a waitlist. Send all the schools your waitlisted at an email saying how badly you want to go there.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], grandpapy360, sonyco and 6 guests