Could an December retake hurt my chances?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
JJJ123

Could an December retake hurt my chances?

Postby JJJ123 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:51 pm

I just got my June LSAT scores back, 173. My top choices right now are NYU and Columbia. Based on LSN data, 173 puts me on the cusp of admission to those two schools. If I had gotten a 171, I'd retake without a doubt and if I had a 174+ I would feel confident in my chances of getting into at least one of the two.

So, If I retake in, say, December and get a lower score, how might that affect my cycle? Are the potential benefits of scoring higher worth the risks?

cutecarmel

Re: Could an December retake hurt my chances?

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:20 pm

Don't retake. You did fine.

And if you do retake, retake in October, not December.

tabula rasa

Postby tabula rasa » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:39 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Don't retake. You did fine.

And if you do retake, retake in October, not December.

Neander

Postby Neander » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:41 pm

JJJ123 wrote:I just got my June LSAT scores back, 173. My top choices right now are NYU and Columbia. Based on LSN data, 173 puts me on the cusp of admission to those two schools. If I had gotten a 171, I'd retake without a doubt and if I had a 174+ I would feel confident in my chances of getting into at least one of the two.

So, If I retake in, say, December and get a lower score, how might that affect my cycle? Are the potential benefits of scoring higher worth the risks?

What is your GPA? If your GPA is a 4 you are in at both Columbia and NYU and should stop worrying.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”