Will it hurt to drop one of my majors after I'm already in?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
westinghouse60

Will it hurt to drop one of my majors after I'm already in?

Postby westinghouse60 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 3:11 pm

I know double majoring has about 0 impact on admission, but I couldn't help but ask this since it's sort of a different situation. Because of some stupidity on my part/some screw ups in the registrars office at my school, I have to change one of my majors to a minor in order to take the class I need to finish my first degree. I'm almost certainly going to Duke this fall, but will they honestly care if I only have 1 degree and a minor rather than the 2 degrees I said I would be graduating with on my application? I know, it probably won't but I haven't heard anyone else discuss this.

Edit: I know they won't really care, I'm more worried it would be viewed as "dishonest" or whatever

bp shinners

Re: Will it hurt to drop one of my majors after I'm already in?

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:54 pm

They won't care, and it's not dishonest. I wouldn't worry about this. You might want to call Duke up and let them know, but I would expect whomever you talk to to say something along the lines of, "Alright, I put a note in your file. See you in a few months!"

cutecarmel

Re: Will it hurt to drop one of my majors after I'm already in?

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:20 pm

westinghouse60 wrote:I know double majoring has about 0 impact on admission

Not true. It depends on your major.

But its not likely that the deciding factor on your acceptance was your major, so it shouldn't be an issue. It doesn't seem dishonest to me, and if you are worried you can always contact the school and let them know.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”