Penn ED v NU ed v. Top 20 $$

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

Penn ED v Northwestern ED v T20 with Scholly

Penn ED (Sticker)
86%
Northwestern ED (Sticker)
14%
T20 with $ or $$
No votes

Total votes: 14

DoveBodyWash

Penn ED v NU ed v. Top 20 $$

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:13 am

I'm re-applying this Fall.

Last year I applied to 5 schools with a 2.9 LSDAS and 169 and was still in Undergrad
I also applied very late (Late January)
Got into WashU with 60K, GWU with 30K, Vanderbilt, Waitlisted at Northwestern and rejected from USC

My GPA is a little higher this time (3.2) since I had another 2 semesters of grades. and I re-took the LSAT and got a 175.

As far as work experience, i got a job as an editor at company and recently proposed a new product idea to my CEO that he decided to pursue and he put me in charge of doing the initial research for it. I'm not sure if the product will actually be put into production, but either way I should get a solid rec letter from him.

So I'm trying to decide whether to apply ED to NU or Penn (looking at sticker at both) or just going to a T-20 with a similar level of scholarship that I got in the last cycle.

BG Info: I'm originally from Boston, went to UG in Cuse. Have around 25K in undergrad debt

Career Goals: Pretty indifferent about which market i go to, but maximum portability is my highest priority. I'm willing to incur debt if I think it will pay off in the long-term but I obviously I don't want to be too irresponsible with it.

*Note about NU ED: I know last year they offered 150K scholarships to everyone who got in ED. But someone from the adcomm office said that they're not sure if they're gonna continue that. And even if they did, I feel like the scholarship component would make NU just simply defer me from ED and consider me as an RD applicant..which would be a huge waste of the ONE ED shot that I have

Doorkeeper

Re: Penn ED v NU ed v. Top 20 $$

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:23 am

I would ED to NYU. They seemed much friendlier to extremely splitters than Penn this year. I would also blanket the T14 because I'm sure some of them are going to need your LSAT score later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few small scholarships on the lower end of the T14.

I wouldn't go Top 20 with $$ if you want portability.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:24 am

cusenation wrote:
Career Goals: Pretty indifferent about which market i go to, but maximum portability is my highest priority. I'm willing to incur debt if I think it will pay off in the long-term but I obviously I don't want to be too irresponsible with it.

Given this, T14 > T20 with $$ seems pretty obvious. That said, with that new LSAT score and a GPA that's over 3.0, not sure ED makes sense for you. I'd blanket the entire T14 outside of HYS. Splitters are tough to predict, but it wouldn't be surprising if you got some $$ from the lower half.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:53 am

dixon02 wrote:
cusenation wrote:

Given this, T14 > T20 with $$ seems pretty obvious. That said, with that new LSAT score and a GPA that's over 3.0, not sure ED makes sense for you. I'd blanket the entire T14 outside of HYS. Splitters are tough to predict, but it wouldn't be surprising if you got some $$ from the lower half.

Yeah i'm planning on applying to other T-14's as well, but I assumed that the only way I could get into a T-14 or a T-10 even, would be through an ED application.. Am I being overly pessimistic?

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:54 am

Doorkeeper wrote:I would ED to NYU. They seemed much friendlier to extremely splitters than Penn this year. I would also blanket the T14 because I'm sure some of them are going to need your LSAT score later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few small scholarships on the lower end of the T14.

I actually never even considered NYU just because I figured I would be an Auto-ding and it would be a waste of an ED...

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:10 am

cusenation wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:I would ED to NYU. They seemed much friendlier to extremely splitters than Penn this year. I would also blanket the T14 because I'm sure some of them are going to need your LSAT score later in the year. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a few small scholarships on the lower end of the T14.

I actually never even considered NYU just because I figured I would be an Auto-ding and it would be a waste of an ED...

lawschoolnumbers.com

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:12 pm

I'll be at UChi next year with a 3.3/175, NYU took 8 people with 174-179's and sub 3.35 GPAs, and Columbia took 2 3.3/177s.

Apps are down, LSATs are down, your score is a commodity.

If I were you I would not blow an ED, I would apply on day 1 to the entire T4-14 minus Berkeley and Duke. You will probably get into CG with money, get into 1 of MVP perhaps with a little money, and you will be WLed at CCN and the other 2 MVPs. You will have a better than even chance at any of those WLs if you are patient and if this cycle is an indication you will probably get into NYU.

The only thing I would say is that if you absolutely want Penn it might require an ED, they don't have as much WL movement as other schools, and if you know you would got to NYU regardless you might just ED there and save the WL stress.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:30 pm

2014 wrote:I'll be at UChi next year with a 3.3/175, NYU took 8 people with 174-179's and sub 3.35 GPAs, and Columbia took 2 3.3/177s.

Apps are down, LSATs are down, your score is a commodity.

If I were you I would not blow an ED, I would apply on day 1 to the entire T4-14 minus Berkeley and Duke. You will probably get into CG with money, get into 1 of MVP perhaps with a little money, and you will be WLed at CCN and the other 2 MVPs. You will have a better than even chance at any of those WLs if you are patient and if this cycle is an indication you will probably get into NYU.

The only thing I would say is that if you absolutely want Penn it might require an ED, they don't have as much WL movement as other schools, and if you know you would got to NYU regardless you might just ED there and save the WL stress.

Oh wow I didn't realize things were that bad...I also figured that maybe all the applicants who didn't matriculate or apply this past cycle would re-enter/re-apply this cycle like I am...but I guess getting waitlisted at NU last cycle with my numbers should have indicated how desperate they're getting.

The issue is that I'm not particularly interested in NYU or CLS just because of the high living costs..and I wouldn't want to live in NYC as a student (as crazy as that sounds lol)

And as an undergrad at Syracuse, I'm not looking to go back to upstate NY for Cornell and the only things I hear about the DC market or GULC's seem to be either negative or, at the least, more troubling than the rest of the T-14.

In short the only T-14's i'd be interested in going to are Penn, NU, Chicago, UVA. (Excluding HYS/Duke/Boalt).

Do you think I should still take my chances with an RD?

Law Sauce

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:56 pm

cusenation wrote:
In short the only T-14's i'd be interested in going to are Penn, NU, Chicago, UVA. (Excluding HYS/Duke/Boalt).

I'd ED to UChi and apply to the rest RD. If you don't get Uchi then switch to ED at UVA (I don't think you can ED late to Penn). Worse case, ride out the WLs. You should be golden eventually. I'd expect to pay sticker though, unless your lucky.

Postby 2014 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:36 pm

cusenation wrote: Oh wow I didn't realize things were that bad...I also figured that maybe all the applicants who didn't matriculate or apply this past cycle would re-enter/re-apply this cycle like I am...but I guess getting waitlisted at NU last cycle with my numbers should have indicated how desperate they're getting.

The issue is that I'm not particularly interested in NYU or CLS just because of the high living costs..and I wouldn't want to live in NYC as a student (as crazy as that sounds lol)

And as an undergrad at Syracuse, I'm not looking to go back to upstate NY for Cornell and the only things I hear about the DC market or GULC's seem to be either negative or, at the least, more troubling than the rest of the T-14.

Don't apply where you don't want to go then, save yourself the NYU and Columbia app fees.

I would probably do what the above says, I would ED Chicago and RD everywhere else (and prepare to be WLed anyway). However, I really think this ultimately locks you out of Penn because of the relative lack of WL movement compared to other schools, though you certainly have a shot at getting off the WL. If you really decide Penn is your #1, ED there and be done with it.

Also you didn't give a reason for not wanting to apply to Michigan and given that it is extremely similar to U.Va. which you are fine with, you really should app there as well as they might throw as much as 45k your way.

In the end I think you are going to have an acceptance at NU with a small scholarship in your pocket and 4 WLs, 2 of which you ultimately get off of (U.Va. and Mich probs). Your decision is whether that scenario is worse to you than just EDing Penn, and whether you won't forever regret not taking a gamble on Chicago,

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:29 pm

A Northwestern ED would not be at sticker, but comes with a full tuition scholarship; so another strategy is to gamble for the scholly at NU through their ED program (if they continue to do it next cycle). They were generous even though I wasn't admitted under the ED contract because I showed specific interest in NU.

I ED'd NU with comparable, albeit less splittery (~GPA +.2/LSAT -3), numbers and was held so they didn't have to give me the full $150k scholly. But they did offer me substantial $$ once I was accepted. Also admitted at Penn/T20s with $$$. It's looking good for you, friend.

ETA: I was rejected by USC as well--jerks.

DoveBodyWash

Postby DoveBodyWash » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:A Northwestern ED would not be at sticker, but comes with a full tuition scholarship; so another strategy is to gamble for the scholly at NU through their ED program (if they continue to do it next cycle). They were generous even though I wasn't admitted under the ED contract because I showed specific interest in NU.

I ED'd NU with comparable, albeit less splittery (~GPA +.2/LSAT -3), numbers and was held so they didn't have to give me the full $150k scholly. But they did offer me substantial $$ once I was accepted. Also admitted at Penn/T20s with $$$. It's looking good for you, friend.

ETA: I was rejected by USC as well--jerks.

Hahaha yeah guess USC just really doesn't like splitters.. they were the last ones to get back to me too.

Yeah I was worried that if I applied ED to NU while they still had the scholarship program, that they would just defer me into the RD cycle so they wouldn't have to give me the 150K ..which makes sense from their perspective. I thought about applying ED to NU too, even with that possibility looming over me, just to emphasize my interest..but ultimately i don't think it's worth wasting a potential ED to Penn or Chicago just to emphasize how interested I am in NU. Because in truth, the main reason I withdrew from the last admissions cycle was because I wanted to re-apply specifically to NU this Fall, and I'm definitely going to reiterate that in an interview, of course whether they'll take it seriously or not is uncertain

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”