Advice needed on withdrawing

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
LSATBuddha
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby LSATBuddha » Mon Jul 02, 2012 12:06 am

Hey guys,

Over the past month I have been going back and forth on withdrawing my offer from a T2 school. To help you understand my situation I guess some background info is needed. I recently graduated from a tier 1 undegrad with a 4.00 lsdas gpa in history. I studied intensely for my LSAT for about a year and my scores ranged from a 163-168 with occasional 170’s (174 was the highest). I took the LSAT in june of my junior year (2011) and received a 160. Honestly, my anxiety completely crippled me and I could barely remember the test. I was ready to cancel my score but ended up with that 160. I then applied to Rutgers, Villanova, Temple, Fordham PT , and Minnesota(just because they gave me a fee waiver). When I applied my gpa was 3.95 and has obviously come up since then. I know some are wondering why I didn’t retake this past year. To be honest the excuses are numerous ( I must admit anxiety was one of them but not the only one) but let’s just face the fact that I didn’t take the LSAT again. I was accepted to the T2 schools but was WL at Fordham and UMN. However, I was accepted off the waitlist at Fordham.

I ended up sending my seat deposits to one of the T2 schools in the philly region. Unfortunately, I have since wondered whether I should wait out the year, retake the LSAT, and reapply. My real concern is if I score lower. I have no problem attending the T2 school but am wondering (with my gpa) whether I should have put up a better fight to go to a top school. The reality is many kids dream to go to a top school but few accomplish the feat. I don’t want to be naïve about my situation. How would it look to reapply to this former school next cycle even I would have forfeited my second seat deposit with them? Again how would a lower score look? Am I even thinking correctly on waiting out a whole year just to go to another school or just plain beating a dead horse that needs to be put to rest?

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby PaulKriske » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:49 am

LSATBuddha wrote:wait out the year, retake the LSAT, and reapply.


schools take your highest score. study your ass off. if you hit at least 167+ you're in at some seriously better schools, like bottom half of the T14 good. if you can hit higher, you're talking HS.

User avatar
Doorkeeper
Posts: 4872
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:25 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby Doorkeeper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:59 am

Retake and reapply.

There are a lot of measures to take to combat your anxiety issues, and if you can get 170+, you're a T10 lock with that 4.0 GPA. Do not waste your GPA and LSAT potential on a T2.

timbs4339
Posts: 2733
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2011 12:19 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby timbs4339 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:30 am

LSATBuddha wrote:Hey guys,

Over the past month I have been going back and forth on withdrawing my offer from a T2 school. To help you understand my situation I guess some background info is needed. I recently graduated from a tier 1 undegrad with a 4.00 lsdas gpa in history. I studied intensely for my LSAT for about a year and my scores ranged from a 163-168 with occasional 170’s (174 was the highest). I took the LSAT in june of my junior year (2011) and received a 160. Honestly, my anxiety completely crippled me and I could barely remember the test. I was ready to cancel my score but ended up with that 160. I then applied to Rutgers, Villanova, Temple, Fordham PT , and Minnesota(just because they gave me a fee waiver). When I applied my gpa was 3.95 and has obviously come up since then. I know some are wondering why I didn’t retake this past year. To be honest the excuses are numerous ( I must admit anxiety was one of them but not the only one) but let’s just face the fact that I didn’t take the LSAT again. I was accepted to the T2 schools but was WL at Fordham and UMN. However, I was accepted off the waitlist at Fordham.

I ended up sending my seat deposits to one of the T2 schools in the philly region. Unfortunately, I have since wondered whether I should wait out the year, retake the LSAT, and reapply. My real concern is if I score lower. I have no problem attending the T2 school but am wondering (with my gpa) whether I should have put up a better fight to go to a top school. The reality is many kids dream to go to a top school but few accomplish the feat. I don’t want to be naïve about my situation. How would it look to reapply to this former school next cycle even I would have forfeited my second seat deposit with them? Again how would a lower score look? Am I even thinking correctly on waiting out a whole year just to go to another school or just plain beating a dead horse that needs to be put to rest?


Retake. For all that is holy retake. You've cracked 170 before. You could be looking at HYS if you do it one more time. Work out your anxiety issues. With your PT range I would not apply to LS again until I had exhausted my retakes.

User avatar
Wily
Posts: 280
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:35 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby Wily » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 am

I'd let someone eat one of my feet for that uGPA. Retake, good sir.

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:15 pm

Don't retake. Just go to school.

If you are ok with the school you got into, why not just go there? Taking a year off just to get into a slightly "better" school isn't worth it. The only way I would retake in your case is if I needed better scholarship money.

Honestly, if you have crippling anxiety just from taking the LSAT (so bad that you're score dropped significantly during the test and that you were unable to retake during the cycle), you might not be able to hang with the big dogs in top schools. I'm really not trying to be mean, but its just something to think about.

Your going to go to your nice T2 school, graduate, get a job, and 5 years from now, you're going to laugh at how much you stressed over this.

User avatar
PaulKriske
Posts: 231
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:47 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby PaulKriske » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:16 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Don't retake. Just go to school.

If you are ok with the school you got into, why not just go there? Taking a year off just to get into a slightly "better" school isn't worth it. The only way I would retake in your case is if I needed better scholarship money.

Honestly, if you have crippling anxiety just from taking the LSAT (so bad that you're score dropped significantly during the test and that you were unable to retake during the cycle), you might not be able to hang with the big dogs in top schools. I'm really not trying to be mean, but its just something to think about.

Your going to go to your nice T2 school, graduate, get a job, and 5 years from now, you're going to laugh at how much you stressed over this.

User avatar
LSATBuddha
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby LSATBuddha » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:45 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Don't retake. Just go to school.

If you are ok with the school you got into, why not just go there? Taking a year off just to get into a slightly "better" school isn't worth it. The only way I would retake in your case is if I needed better scholarship money.


Honestly, if you have crippling anxiety just from taking the LSAT (so bad that you're score dropped significantly during the test and that you were unable to retake during the cycle), you might not be able to hang with the big dogs in top schools. I'm really not trying to be mean, but its just something to think about.


Your going to go to your nice T2 school, graduate, get a job, and 5 years from now, you're going to laugh at how much you stressed over this.


Yea you're right, its something I def. have to think about. I never really had anxiety when taking a test before. I think its because I had studied for so long and so hard (like everyone here) that when I finally was taking it for real I freaked. Right now I am trying to find a way to combat this from happening again. Its something I need to keep in check not only for the LSAT but for when I reach law school because exams only become more important then.

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby Shammis » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:55 pm

Wait to go. Economy sucks balls - jobs are non-existent...waiting doesnt hurt ya.

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:00 pm

Retake unless you received a substantial scholarship to Temple or Villanova & want to live & work in Philadelphia.

User avatar
man_utd_4l
Posts: 72
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 2:53 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby man_utd_4l » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:29 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Don't retake. Just go to school.

If you are ok with the school you got into, why not just go there? Taking a year off just to get into a slightly "better" school isn't worth it. The only way I would retake in your case is if I needed better scholarship money.

Honestly, if you have crippling anxiety just from taking the LSAT (so bad that you're score dropped significantly during the test and that you were unable to retake during the cycle), you might not be able to hang with the big dogs in top schools. I'm really not trying to be mean, but its just something to think about.

Your going to go to your nice T2 school, graduate, get a job, and 5 years from now, you're going to laugh at how much you stressed over this.


0L, but even I can tell you that this is horrible advice.

Your situation and the LSAT aside, I feel that the vast majority of people should take at least a year off of school before entering into any professional education. Your truly mature more in that first year post-grad than the 4-5 years of undergrad combined. Despite what a lot of people will tell you, you have the freedom to do virtually anything you want with your life. Once you enter into law school this freedom will disappear. Use a year off to lock the LSAT down, explore career options (take as many informational interviews as possible even if you have a job), and learn more about yourself. Talking with 3Ls and recent law grads I always hear that they wish they would have taken time off. Never have I heard "I wish I would have went to law school earlier."

User avatar
cutecarmel
Posts: 599
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:39 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby cutecarmel » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:46 pm

man_utd_4l wrote:
cutecarmel wrote:Don't retake. Just go to school.

If you are ok with the school you got into, why not just go there? Taking a year off just to get into a slightly "better" school isn't worth it. The only way I would retake in your case is if I needed better scholarship money.

Honestly, if you have crippling anxiety just from taking the LSAT (so bad that you're score dropped significantly during the test and that you were unable to retake during the cycle), you might not be able to hang with the big dogs in top schools. I'm really not trying to be mean, but its just something to think about.

Your going to go to your nice T2 school, graduate, get a job, and 5 years from now, you're going to laugh at how much you stressed over this.


0L, but even I can tell you that this is horrible advice.

Your situation and the LSAT aside, I feel that the vast majority of people should take at least a year off of school before entering into any professional education. Your truly mature more in that first year post-grad than the 4-5 years of undergrad combined. Despite what a lot of people will tell you, you have the freedom to do virtually anything you want with your life. Once you enter into law school this freedom will disappear. Use a year off to lock the LSAT down, explore career options (take as many informational interviews as possible even if you have a job), and learn more about yourself. Talking with 3Ls and recent law grads I always hear that they wish they would have taken time off. Never have I heard "I wish I would have went to law school earlier."



OP is taking a full year off to improve a few points on the LSAT and maybe get into a better school, maybe. Not to enjoy life or explore career options, mature, etc.. I don't think the extra few points and a full year is worth the hassle and the stress.

If you don't like my opinion, that is fine, but why would "should I retake?" posts even be allowed if the answer should always be "retake no matter what".
The OP asked for opinions. I gave him one. You don't agree. Get over it. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.

User avatar
LSATBuddha
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby LSATBuddha » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:03 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Retake unless you received a substantial scholarship to Temple or Villanova & want to live & work in Philadelphia.


I know this may be a really dumb question to ask but would you consider a little more than 60% of tuition substantial?

cutecarmel wrote:
OP is taking a full year off to improve a few points on the LSAT and maybe get into a better school, maybe. Not to enjoy life or explore career options, mature, etc.. I don't think the extra few points and a full year is worth the hassle and the stress.

If you don't like my opinion, that is fine, but why would "should I retake?" posts even be allowed if the answer should always be "retake no matter what".
The OP asked for opinions. I gave him one. You don't agree. Get over it. Put on your big girl panties and deal with it.


Cutecarmel I am very thankful that you took the time give me an opinion and it has no doubt helped. The same can be said for all the posters. Thanks for the opinions so far everyone!

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby Nova » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:09 pm

LSATBuddha wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Retake unless you received a substantial scholarship to Temple or Villanova & want to live & work in Philadelphia.


I know this may be a really dumb question to ask but would you consider a little more than 60% of tuition substantial?


Image

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:42 pm

LSATBuddha wrote:Hey guys,

Over the past month I have been going back and forth on withdrawing my offer from a T2 school. To help you understand my situation I guess some background info is needed. I recently graduated from a tier 1 undegrad with a 4.00 lsdas gpa in history. I studied intensely for my LSAT for about a year and my scores ranged from a 163-168 with occasional 170’s (174 was the highest). I took the LSAT in june of my junior year (2011) and received a 160. Honestly, my anxiety completely crippled me and I could barely remember the test. I was ready to cancel my score but ended up with that 160. I then applied to Rutgers, Villanova, Temple, Fordham PT , and Minnesota(just because they gave me a fee waiver). When I applied my gpa was 3.95 and has obviously come up since then. I know some are wondering why I didn’t retake this past year. To be honest the excuses are numerous ( I must admit anxiety was one of them but not the only one) but let’s just face the fact that I didn’t take the LSAT again. I was accepted to the T2 schools but was WL at Fordham and UMN. However, I was accepted off the waitlist at Fordham.

I ended up sending my seat deposits to one of the T2 schools in the philly region. Unfortunately, I have since wondered whether I should wait out the year, retake the LSAT, and reapply. My real concern is if I score lower. I have no problem attending the T2 school but am wondering (with my gpa) whether I should have put up a better fight to go to a top school. The reality is many kids dream to go to a top school but few accomplish the feat. I don’t want to be naïve about my situation. How would it look to reapply to this former school next cycle even I would have forfeited my second seat deposit with them? Again how would a lower score look? Am I even thinking correctly on waiting out a whole year just to go to another school or just plain beating a dead horse that needs to be put to rest?


I stopped reading right there. Retake.

Your GPA alone makes it worth taking the LSAT again. Hell, if you even got 5 more points (165), you could get into better schools. At 168, you would really have some good prospects.

Now, if said T2 (I'm assuming Temple) offered you a full ride or something, then MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE people would be saying that you should go. Maybe.

Your GPA just gives you too many possibilities to pass up. Just retake.

User avatar
TTTehehe
Posts: 190
Joined: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:00 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby TTTehehe » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:45 pm

Nova wrote:
LSATBuddha wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:Retake unless you received a substantial scholarship to Temple or Villanova& want to live & work in Philadelphia.


I know this may be a really dumb question to ask but would you consider a little more than 60% of tuition substantial?


Image


If you can up it to 3/4+ with favorable stipulations, and want to stay in Philly, then maybe.

bp shinners
Posts: 3091
Joined: Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:05 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:46 am

cutecarmel wrote:OP is taking a full year off to improve a few points on the LSAT and maybe get into a better school, maybe.


I doubt that the OP would take the entire year and JUST study for the LSAT. If he pushes back a year, he could probably work at a decent, full-time job and still have time to devote to raising his score. That will be valuable experience in both the application process and OCI.

To OP - it's a personal decision, but I think if you raise your LSAT to the 165+ region, you'd get a substantial scholarship to a T1 school while having a shot at a T14 school (especially with substantial work experience on your resume). That will significantly increase your job prospects (though Temple does place well in Philly).

User avatar
JamMasterJ
Posts: 6688
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:53 am

OP, I almost went to Notre Dame with a small scholarship last year, retook, and will now be going to NYU with a decent scholarship. Your ceiling is even higher b/c my gpa precluded any T3 acceptances.

User avatar
LSATBuddha
Posts: 34
Joined: Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:46 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby LSATBuddha » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:55 pm

I have pretty much gone through everything (a lot multiple times...esp the newest tests 50-63) and therefore worry about having no new material. Does this fact change anything?

User avatar
Nova
Posts: 9116
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:55 pm

Re: Advice needed on withdrawing

Postby Nova » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:03 pm

If you are ok with waiting a year, I seriously think retaking in Oct is the best idea. Your LGPA is amazing. You underperformed. You are better than 160. Dont settle.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests