Rutgers just admitted me without my applying Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Wily

Bronze

Rutgers just admitted me without my applying

Post by Wily » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:37 pm

... and also gave me a $18k/year scholarship. Not going to go there. What's going on that they're so desperate for students, in late June, that they'll just admit random people? I'm from NY, so maybe they're doing some targeting, but this is on the pathetic level of fake schools like Charlotte or Nova Southeastern.

SchopenhauerFTW

Gold

Re: Rutgers just admitted me without my applying

Post by SchopenhauerFTW » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:38 pm

This seems to be happening quite a bit with a lot of schools recently and it's pretty disturbing.
Last edited by SchopenhauerFTW on Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperCerealBrah

Bronze

Post by SuperCerealBrah » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:41 pm

SchopenhauerFTW wrote:This seems to be happening quite a bit recently and it's frankly disturbing.

This is disturbing. It is also quite comical at this point.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:43 pm

--LinkRemoved--

"Only 107 first-year law students have put down deposits to start in the fall, down from 246 at this time last year, school officials said"

They are very, very desperate for incoming students.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:44 pm

Was this Rutgers-Camden? They've got to be desperate as all hell given the absolute nosedive they've taken. It's a few weeks old, but I think still a good article: Rutgers-Camden Law is a total dumpster fire (LinkRemoved).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:48 pm

Yep, this was Camden. They also waived my deposit fee and everything.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:52 pm

Wily wrote:Yep, this was Camden. They also waived my deposit fee and everything.
haha wow. Did you email them back asking if this was some sort of mistake, as you never applied? Or did they acknowledge in the email that they were admitting you without seeing your application materials (e.g. C&F disclosures)?

ahnhub

Silver

Post by ahnhub » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

KevinP wrote:http://www.northjersey.com/news/1583370 ... l?page=all

"Only 107 first-year law students have put down deposits to start in the fall, down from 246 at this time last year, school officials said"
This actually gives me hope that people are more sensible than I thought they were.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:55 pm

what a dung pile.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

catholicgirl

Bronze

Post by catholicgirl » Sun Jul 01, 2012 6:57 pm

Someone inform Paul Campos!

Wily

Bronze

Post by Wily » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Wily wrote:Yep, this was Camden. They also waived my deposit fee and everything.
haha wow. Did you email them back asking if this was some sort of mistake, as you never applied? Or did they acknowledge in the email that they were admitting you without seeing your application materials (e.g. C&F disclosures)?
It came by snail-mail, and I haven't gotten back to them. It says they waived both the application and the deposit fee, so they are acknowledging that I never applied.

KevinP

Silver

Post by KevinP » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:08 pm

ahnhub wrote:
KevinP wrote:http://www.northjersey.com/news/1583370 ... l?page=all

This actually gives me hope that people are more sensible than I thought they were.
Agreed. My only worry is that the press about law school being a buyer's market might cause the declining trend to reverse.

*eagerly awaits the data on june's number of LSAT test takers*

Wily wrote: It came by snail-mail, and I haven't gotten back to them. It says they waived both the application and the deposit fee, so they are acknowledging that I never applied.
Lol. I wonder how US news will rank the selectivity of a school whose number of offers exceeds its number of applicants.

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:14 pm

They did this to me last year. It was funny because a friend confided to me that he was waiting to hear back from them about a scholarship, and they essentially offered their biggest scholarship to me even though I hadn't applied.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:19 pm

Wow, just wow.....

tmgarvey

New

Post by tmgarvey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Well, the merger is a non-issue at this point, and Rutgers-Camden has a great law school (disclosure: 1984 alum here). Seriously, the school has a very good reputation in this area, and when I interviewed for jobs in Colorado the year I graduated, there were a surprising number of people out West who were under the impression it was an Ivy League school. (Part of the reason a merger that sacrificed the name would have been a disaster).

I've worked in the Public Sector most of my career, and anyone interested in that kind of work could do a whole lot worse than Rutgers. Tons of Rutgers grads in government offices and the judiciary throughout the State and in PA, as well as in private practice.

Hopefully there will be enough good students willing to take those spots. Great opportunity for somebody.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:29 pm

@tmgarvey: Don't you think that a lot has changed since 1984 regarding Rutgers-Camden Law school ? Are you comfortable with the area around Rutgers-Camden ?

PaulKriske

Bronze

Post by PaulKriske » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm

1984? c'mon man.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:36 pm

tmgarvey wrote:Well, the merger is a non-issue at this point, and Rutgers-Camden has a great law school (disclosure: 1984 alum here). Seriously, the school has a very good reputation in this area, and when I interviewed for jobs in Colorado the year I graduated, there were a surprising number of people out West who were under the impression it was an Ivy League school. (Part of the reason a merger that sacrificed the name would have been a disaster).

I've worked in the Public Sector most of my career, and anyone interested in that kind of work could do a whole lot worse than Rutgers. Tons of Rutgers grads in government offices and the judiciary throughout the State and in PA, as well as in private practice.

Hopefully there will be enough good students willing to take those spots. Great opportunity for somebody.
Nothing wrong with the Rutger's brand at all and I had planned on going to RU-N for a while. The whole merger thing though scared people off in droves though from RU-C. Regardless if it is or isn't happening now the damage has been done at least for this cycle. I hope they get back to where they were but it could be an uphill climb unless they do a lot to assure it will remain Rutgers and not Rowen.

tmgarvey

New

Post by tmgarvey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:39 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:@tmgarvey: Don't you think that a lot has changed since 1984 regarding Rutgers-Camden Law school ? Are you comfortable with the area around Rutgers-Camden ?
I've worked two blocks from the Law School for the past 22 years. The worst things that ever happened to me were that a guy tried to sell me a "hot" video camera (with a brick inside the box) while I was sitting in front of the Prosecutor's Office, and my car was broken into and my GPS stolen (while parked directly beneath a sign that said "Prosecutor's Office Parking Only"). LOL, some dumb criminals in Camden. :)

The Law School has gotten bigger and better with a beautiful new building, and the campus has grown enormously since I went there. I am very familiar with how the school is now because of its proximity and because I have worked with numerous recent graduates. The faculty is top-notch.

Nobody with his or her heart set on BigLaw is likely to make Rutgers his or her first choice, but short of that, it's still one of the best schools around.

You don't want to go aimlessly driving or walking around the area beyond the Law School after dark, but the campus itself is very well patrolled and as safe as just about any campus anywhere. I lived in the suburbs because there were no dorms when I attended, but there are options at the school and close by (the Victor), as well as all along the Speedline.
Last edited by tmgarvey on Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:40 pm

any chance you could type a bit what the letter said? im struggling to see how the managed to explain that in the letter

californiauser

Silver

Post by californiauser » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:08 pm

tmgarvey wrote:Well, the merger is a non-issue at this point, and Rutgers-Camden has a great law school (disclosure: 1984 alum here). Seriously, the school has a very good reputation in this area, and when I interviewed for jobs in Colorado the year I graduated, there were a surprising number of people out West who were under the impression it was an Ivy League school. (Part of the reason a merger that sacrificed the name would have been a disaster).

Shameless pro-boomer trolling.

Let me guess...you paid your way through law school by waiting tables part-time?
Last edited by californiauser on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sunynp

Gold

Post by sunynp » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:11 pm

tmgarvey wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:@tmgarvey: Don't you think that a lot has changed since 1984 regarding Rutgers-Camden Law school ? Are you comfortable with the area around Rutgers-Camden ?
I've worked two blocks from the Law School for the past 22 years. The worst things that ever happened to me were that a guy tried to sell me a "hot" video camera (with a brick inside the box) while I was sitting in front of the Prosecutor's Office, and my car was broken into and my GPS stolen (while parked directly beneath a sign that said "Prosecutor's Office Parking Only"). LOL, some dumb criminals in Camden. :)

The Law School has gotten bigger and better with a beautiful new building, and the campus has grown enormously since I went there. I am very familiar with how the school is now because of its proximity and because I have worked with numerous recent graduates. The faculty is top-notch.

Nobody with his or her heart set on BigLaw is likely to make Rutgers his or her first choice, but short of that, it's still one of the best schools around.

You don't want to go aimlessly driving or walking around the area beyond the Law School after dark, but the campus itself is very well patrolled and as safe as just about any campus anywhere. I lived in the suburbs because there were no dorms when I attended, but there are options at the school and close by (the Victor), as well as all along the Speedline.
What was the tuition in 1984 or when you enrolled? What was your Cost of Attendance? How much debt did you have? Do you know what the tuition is now? Do you have any idea how hiring is now out of law school? Do a number of grads take unpaid jobs?

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:13 pm

Pretty funny when you consider all the kids desperate to be admitted to such a school.

albusdumbledore

Silver

Post by albusdumbledore » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:15 pm

This is Boomer Babble 101.

tmgarvey

New

Post by tmgarvey » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:28 pm

albusdumbledore wrote: This is Boomer Babble 101.
Um, which part? Listen, I totally feel for the people just starting out in this profession--I'm only thankful I didn't have to deal with the job market you guys have. I still think I have a reasonably good sense of the prospects for recent grads from that school, if only because I've worked with people who graduated in the past 2-3 years. I don't think students at Rutgers-Camden are significantly worse off than anyone else in this market.

And as far as what the tuition was when I attended, I don't remember the amount (insert another age joke here), but my first job paid $30k, and it took me over a decade to reach $60k. Things were cheaper then, but salaries way lower.

So I'm not painting a rosy picture, but you guys are applying to these schools regardless, aren't you? All I'm saying is that Rutgers is still a relative bargain for the quality of the education.
Last edited by tmgarvey on Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”