License Suspension??? Help!!!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
imanexcellentdriver

License Suspension??? Help!!!

Postby imanexcellentdriver » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:21 pm

I've had my license suspended twice as a result of failing to pay two minor speeding tickets (between 10-15 over). I have no other criminal charges on my record. One was in 2008 and one was in January of this year. There are several threads where people talk about how/when to disclose infractions, but does anybody know if this will affect my chances at admission anywhere?

goldeneye

Re: License Suspension??? Help!!!

Postby goldeneye » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:29 pm

Just explain it concisely and don't use exclamation points. And pay your tickets.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:32 pm

imanexcellentdriver wrote:I've had my license suspended twice as a result of failing to pay two minor speeding tickets (between 10-15 over). I have no other criminal charges on my record. One was in 2008 and one was in January of this year. There are several threads where people talk about how/when to disclose infractions, but does anybody know if this will affect my chances at admission anywhere?

Why didn't you pay?

North

Postby North » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:46 pm

Hey, I was planning on making this thread in a couple months.

This happened to me three years ago -- Driver's License suspended for failure to pay a busted taillight ticket on time. I sent it in a few days after the deadline (Why? Some combination of irresponsibility and being broke), but the suspension couldn't be lifted.

So, is this the kind of thing that requires an "I learned my lesson" addendum? People who get DUI's get their licenses suspended too, so I'd like to clear up any ambiguity that might leave that assumption on the addcomm's table.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:35 am

North wrote:So, is this the kind of thing that requires an "I learned my lesson" addendum? People who get DUI's get their licenses suspended too, so I'd like to clear up any ambiguity that might leave that assumption on the addcomm's table.

More an "I have paid the tickets in question and will not allow that to happen again" addendum. This is so minor as to be something they just want to know you've taken care of. Even the President had unpaid parking tickets until he ran for office.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:44 am

You really should pay these tickets on time.

For example, where I live they started doing speed radar. The local law journal has investigated and written an article that it is TOTALLY illegal under the current municipal statutes, so people don't have to pay. But did I pay? You bet, I'm trying to be admitted to the bar.

North

Postby North » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:10 am

Wormfather wrote:I'm not advocating skirting. But does this even fall under misdemeanor/felony conviction or arrest?
No, it does/did not. At least in Florida, DWSL/R without knowledge is just a non-moving traffic violation -- pretty much the same level of offense as the broken tail light that got me in all this trouble. If I were to have continued driving after finding out and got pulled over again, it would have been a misdemeanor.
bp shinners wrote:More an "I have paid the tickets in question and will not allow that to happen again" addendum. This is so minor as to be something they just want to know you've taken care of.
Okay, that's better. Frankly, I was hoping that there would be space directly on the applications for me to list my handful of traffic violations (which, fortunately, constitute the extent of my rap sheet) like this:

2007: Speeding ticket, resolved
    2008: Broken tail light ticket, resolved
    2009: DWSL/R without knowledge ticket, resolved

It just makes me sad that this addendum will have to sit right next to my Why X and Diversity Addenda. I feel like it'll bring the positive tone down a few notches, even though it's a minor thing. Thanks BP.

m079

Postby m079 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:54 am

I don't think it matters. I had my license suspended and was convicted of reckless driving less than a few months before applying. On the addendum, I simply stated my conviction, the court, the date, etc. I didn't explain what happened, I just said I was convicted. I don't think I had a particularly compelling application otherwise, but I was accepted into the school I applied to. Admittedly this is just one example... literally. I only applied to one school (a T-14 school).

Clearly

Postby Clearly » Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:00 am

I might not even write an addendum honestly.

kwais

Postby kwais » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:18 am

It's over. Your dream of law school. See if you can get in touch with MTal about opportunities in retail.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”