non-trad effects Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
johmica

New

non-trad effects

Post by johmica » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:59 pm

Just wondering about the effects of being a legitimate non-traditional applicant, say someone with 15 years of post-college work experience. Does it help? Does it hurt? Is it a completely unpredictable factor? Opinions are nice. Specific examples of how it helped/hurt are preferred. :P

Nova

Platinum

Re: non-trad effects

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:37 pm

WE is a plus. It will not hurt you. If your LGPA is low, it will also distance you from it. Assuming your WE is not extraordinary, you'll likely perform at about what should be expected from your numbers.

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=143047

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:57 pm

It kind of depends.

Were you an Astronaut that is looking to go to LS because the shuttle program was cancelled or were you the night shift manager at a Domino's?

Obviously there is a world of real world experience between the two and even some further on the extremes. How much yours in particular will matter will depend on where you fall on the spectrum AND if whatever your did during that time strikes a chord with a particular Admissions Committee. It may matter a lot to school A and school B may just rate you based on the numbers alone.

For me it made my cycle rather unpredictable. Without saying outright what my numbers were I was waitlisted at St Johns and a direct Admit at Fordham. Someone at Fordham saw potential in my background whereas SJ went on numbers (Which weren't bad for them anyway, so go figure.)

JC

johmica

New

Post by johmica » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:14 am

Neither spaceman nor delivery boy, I've been a licensed plumber and electrician for the last ten years. So more toward the delivery boy side of the spectrum, I suppose. It seems that I should perhaps shore up for an unpredictable cycle . . .

nygrrrl

Gold

Post by nygrrrl » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:59 am

I think it really depends on your numbers and the school. NU practically requires WE, Fordham - in my experience and JC's! - loves it. (We are very lucky to have a Dean of Admissions who really appreciates non-trads and what they can bring to a class.)
I also thing that much depends on how you spin your WE: what did you learn from it? How has it affected your decision to go to law school? Stuff like that. Best of luck - there are some great non-trad support threads on here that can give you loads of advice - Welcome!

JCFindley

Silver

Post by JCFindley » Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:41 am

johmica wrote:Neither spaceman nor delivery boy, I've been a licensed plumber and electrician for the last ten years. So more toward the delivery boy side of the spectrum, I suppose. It seems that I should perhaps shore up for an unpredictable cycle . . .
Not necessarily towards the delivery boy side. It is ALL how you spin it and explain how that experience led you to apply to LS and how it will help you once you are there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”