Aiming for median if not URM? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
bbsg

Bronze

Aiming for median if not URM?

Post by bbsg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Hi guys,

I'm not American and haven't considered the impact URM admissions categories may have on non-URM applicants in the past. Usually if I looked at schools in other countries and had median stats, I would feel comfortable regarding my chances and the like.

However, since it seems to be commonly held on this forum that URM applicants can get in with much lower stats than the medians (or at least that medians nearly guarantee admission), I'm wondering how skewed the medians are. For example, if I have a 3.9GPA and a 173LSAT, I'd make Harvard's medians. But I'm a white male. Although I'm from a low income family, I doubt I'd qualify under various diversity regimes at most schools.

If you're not URM, is it unwise to consider the medians as fair representatives of one's prospects for admission to American schools?

EDIT - Careless phrasing corrected
Last edited by bbsg on Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aberzombie1892

Gold

Re: Aiming for median if not URM?

Post by Aberzombie1892 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:55 pm

Lol for thinking schools admit enough URMs to make a difference on the medians.

But seriously, URMs generally make up around 10-15% of the class at the most. Or, two answer your question more directly, no for the reason you stated. However, splitters (high gpa/low LSAT or low gpa/high LSAT) can cause a serious difference at splitter friendly schools.

bbsg

Bronze

Post by bbsg » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Thanks for the response! I was looking at class composition stats and felt that might be the case, but felt it wise to consult with the junkies over here for an opinion.

aekea

Bronze

Post by aekea » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Yeah, the issue with only looking at medians has nothing to do with them being skewed by URMs. Every school prefers different LSAT/GPA combinations that don't necessarily line up with their medians. Look at Law School Numbers and you'll get a better sense of what schools are going to like your GPA/LSAT combination.

Nova

Platinum

Post by Nova » Thu Jun 28, 2012 3:03 pm

If you're not URM, is it unwise to consider the medians as fair representatives of one's prospects for admission to American schools?
You do not have to "deal with URM admissions issues". Just do you. If you are at or above both medians, you have a decent shot.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Platinum

Post by 2014 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:27 pm

Not what you are asking, but if you are not American you have hoops to jump through for student loans and it might be to your advantage to attend a school with a full ride. Just an fyi

SaintsTheMetal

Bronze

Post by SaintsTheMetal » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:37 pm

Look up the definition of median. Having a small amount of people with bad numbers does not affect a median.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”