Visiting a school before the cycle starts?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
espressocream

Visiting a school before the cycle starts?

Postby espressocream » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:30 pm

Hey guys,
Just booked a flight to DC, hoping to tour some schools in the area. Definitely a splitter, so I am looking to show stronger interest in GWU by going and maybe talking to admissions. Though I have no clue how to go about doing this.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tom Joad

Re: Visiting a school before the cycle starts?

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:33 pm

Don't you mean expresso?

But conventional TLS wisdom says visiting a school won't help your chances much.

espressocream

Postby espressocream » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:36 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Espresso#E ... f_the_term

Not even the tiniest bit? I'm already worried about my upcoming cycle, and June scores aren't even out yet, so I'm willing to do anything at this point.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:43 pm

Maybe a tiny bit if you are able to meet the adcomms or bring it up in a well written PS, but I am still pretty sure most of the high class coffeehouses would call it expresso.

PARTY

Postby PARTY » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:17 pm

ah, but some schools mark visits in your file. i've had it brought up by two separate schools in talks with adcomms.

cutecarmel

Postby cutecarmel » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:39 pm

It won't hurt, and at the very least, you will learn more about the school. I think on the applications, a few schools asked if I attended any admissions events. (....I'm pretty sure, but its equally possible that it was a dream :P )

I would take a tour. A lot of schools have "ambassadors" who give individual and/or group tours. I think it would be more useful to go once school starts so you can have the opportunity to sit through a class and meet students.

Postby 2014 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 8:49 pm

If you haven't been to GWU before and you think there is a very real chance of you going if you get in at the right price then you should absolutely visit. Just don't plan on talking to anyone who has any say in anything and don't expect to be remembered.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 28, 2012 1:11 pm

2014 wrote:If you haven't been to GWU before and you think there is a very real chance of you going if you get in at the right price then you should absolutely visit. Just don't plan on talking to anyone who has any say in anything and don't expect to be remembered.

This, exactly. Unless you come across as a jerk, it can't hurt you. It will help you get a feel for the school, and there's that 1/1000 chance that it will give you a small boost.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”