Applying for 2nd time - need new LOR?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
getemgoon

Applying for 2nd time - need new LOR?

Postby getemgoon » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:59 pm

I applied to schools two cycles ago with two LOR's. I'm going to be applying this cycle again. Will I have to get new LOR's even if I'll be asking the same people?

Thanks in advance.

r6_philly

Re: Applying for 2nd time - need new LOR?

Postby r6_philly » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:05 am

getemgoon wrote:I applied to schools two cycles ago with two LOR's. I'm going to be applying this cycle again. Will I have to get new LOR's even if I'll be asking the same people?

Thanks in advance.

I did not. Although you should probably work on getting at least one new recommender.

BVest

Re: Applying for 2nd time - need new LOR?

Postby BVest » Wed Jun 27, 2012 1:10 am

From Dean Perez (TTUHSC) thread:

SPerez wrote:
cdj588 wrote:I was wondering: 1) if it matters how old letters of recommendation are 2) if yall can see when the letters were submitted 3) if it matters when they were submitted?

I ask, because I planned to attend law school this coming fall, but life got in the way (long story short). However, in preparation for going to law school this coming fall I had already knocked out the letter of recommendation part of my credentials. So, by the time I apply my letters of recommendation will be at least a year old maybe even a year and a few months.

I'd say the answer is "Not really", up to a point. Most recommenders use typical business letter formats and put the date at the top of the letter so we usually do know when they wrote it. One year or one cycle isn't, in my mind at least, something that would raise an eyebrow when I review a file.

When I start to have questions is when letters are several years old (2+) and/or there are no new letters, especially when it's someone that has previously applied and been denied. It shows that the applicant didn't take the time to get a more recent letter (or couldn't find someone willing to write one), making me question how serious they are about wanting to go to law school.

And since we're talking about LORs, I'll repeat my general advice:

NO FAMILY MEMBERS
NO HIGH SCHOOL TEACHERS
NO FRIENDS

I see these as obvious, but until I have a year in which I receive none of them I will have to continue spread the word. I'd be happy to explain my reasons in more detail if anyone wants.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”