Texas A&M just announced a buyout of Texas Wesleyan!

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abc12345675

Re: Texas A&M just announced a buyout of Texas Wesleyan!

Postby abc12345675 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:29 pm

Why do people think this law school is going to shoot up the rankings anytime soon? It's just a name change........People said similar things when UNH bought Pierce

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:47 pm

But UNH doesn't have something to prove to their big brother school.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm

abc12345675 wrote:Why do people think this law school is going to shoot up the rankings anytime soon? It's just a name change........People said similar things when UNH bought Pierce

Now that A&M is in the name, prospective law students will be applying to TAMSLTW in DROVES. Dontchya know? A&M is prefstigious in these parts.

eaper

Postby eaper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:56 pm

emkay625 wrote:This is a terrible idea.

It's also strange because it's SUPER FAR away from A&M.

Ehh 2.5 hours isn't that far. And a lot of schools have campuses in DFW that aren't from there. Hell, UT has a med school in Galveston, which is about double the distance.

Postby 20130312 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

Nova wrote:
abc12345675 wrote:Why do people think this law school is going to shoot up the rankings anytime soon? It's just a name change........People said similar things when UNH bought Pierce

Now that A&M is in the name, prospective law students will be applying to TAMSLTW in DROVES. Dontchya know? A&M is prefstigious in these parts.

Oh, you've caught on quickly, my friend.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:00 pm

busted wrote:
Well you add a third school (UNT) in addition to all the Baylor, TT, Tulsa, OSU and UT grads that come to DFW.

Ohio State grads in Dallas?

eaper

Postby eaper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Lord Randolph McDuff wrote:
busted wrote:
Well you add a third school (UNT) in addition to all the Baylor, TT, Tulsa, OSU and UT grads that come to DFW.

Probably just meant OU.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:03 pm

As an Aggie, I think it's good that the university is getting a law school. I also think that it is an advantage for it to be in a major metropolitan area.

There can be no doubt that the association with a Tier One research institution that has thousands of successful attorneys ready to donate can only be a good thing for the existing school.

Will it be tier one in the next five years? Probably not. Will it rise quickly? Much faster than the other TTTT schools.

SchopenhauerFTW

Postby SchopenhauerFTW » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:07 pm

Chances of it beating UC Irvine in the rankings???

I'm lovin' all this speculation.

mcdeeremitch

Postby mcdeeremitch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 pm

It will take a long time for hiring to improve...I live in Fort Worth and wesleyan grads aren't held in very high regard even though it sits in downtown ft worth worth...dfw and fort worth specifically is domintated my smu and ut

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:13 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:It will take a long time for hiring to improve...I live in Fort Worth and wesleyan grads aren't held in very high regard even though it sits in downtown ft worth worth...dfw and fort worth specifically is domintated my smu and ut

I can't imagine the employment statistics changing until the admissions statistics do so first. That's going to take a while.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:16 pm

eaper wrote:
busted wrote:

Probably just meant OU.

No way man, what a totally unreasonable inference.

j/k

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:23 pm

Mce252 wrote:As an Aggie, I think it's good that the university is getting a law school. I also think that it is an advantage for it to be in a major metropolitan area.

There can be no doubt that the association with a Tier One research institution that has thousands of successful attorneys ready to donate can only be a good thing for the existing school.

Will it be tier one in the next five years? Probably not. Will it rise quickly? Much faster than the other TTTT schools.

I can see this thing being a T2 in ten years or so, maybe slightly sooner.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:26 pm

Mce252 wrote:As an Aggie, I think it's good that the university is getting a law school. I also think that it is an advantage for it to be in a major metropolitan area.

I can see this thing being a T2 in ten years or so, maybe slightly sooner.

Yeah. I think it might depend on how their budget changes after the acquisition.

knznick

Postby knznick » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:27 pm

I agree with Mce252.

With the type of alumni network that A&M has, I think we may see the job prospects improve considerably.

eaper

Postby eaper » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

knznick wrote:I agree with Mce252.

With the type of alumni network that A&M has, I think we may see the job prospects improve considerably.

I think job prospects and GPA/LSAT go up quickly. Think of all the Aggies that will want to stay Aggies? A&M is one of the top 10 in terms of number of law students each year.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:30 pm

I think the network helps in the long run, but law firms won't change their hiring practices based on name only. The quality of the student body has to change first. That means higher LSAT scores and UG GPA. And more sought after professors.

BVest

Postby BVest » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:35 pm

Mce252 wrote:

I think the network helps in the long run, but law firms won't change their hiring practices based on name only. The quality of the student body has to change first. That means higher LSAT scores and UG GPA. And more sought after professors.

It's not going to mean BigLaw or anything anytime soon, but it might tip the balance when looking at candidates from St. Mary's, South Texas, TSU, and Tx Wes.

Mce252

Postby Mce252 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:38 pm

BVest wrote:
Mce252 wrote:

It's not going to mean BigLaw or anything anytime soon, but it might tip the balance when looking at candidates from St. Mary's, South Texas, TSU, and Tx Wes.

Absolutely. Those currently at Texas Weslayan who have done well, I think, will now be much more competitive as compared to other similarly situated TTTT students.

akili

Postby akili » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:40 pm

eaper wrote:

I think job prospects and GPA/LSAT go up quickly. Think of all the Aggies that will want to stay Aggies? A&M is one of the top 10 in terms of number of law students each year.

I know Aggies that got in to UT that thought about going elsewhere (in Texas) because they hate 'tu' so much. There is a LOT of pride at A&M and I think it could definitely effect rankings (at least at a higher rate than most TTT) for whatever they are going to call this.

knznick

Postby knznick » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Do you think that with the potential for many more applicants that the law school could be a bit more selective and up their admission standards quickly?

shifty_eyed

Postby shifty_eyed » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:00 pm

knznick wrote:Do you think that with the potential for many more applicants that the law school could be a bit more selective and up their admission standards quickly?

Not unless they give out a lot more $$$

Sauer Grapes

Postby Sauer Grapes » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:07 pm

NR3C1 wrote:Buying a law school right now seems to be a bad investment...

Buy low.

Lord Randolph McDuff

Postby Lord Randolph McDuff » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:08 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:
knznick wrote:Do you think that with the potential for many more applicants that the law school could be a bit more selective and up their admission standards quickly?

I think they will. The aggies will fund this thing.

Chatter on aggie message boards is that they are planning on moving this thing to College Station in five years. Clever. Can't build your own law school but you can buy one in ft. worth and ship it down. (they have been trying for decades, but the texas legislature wont allow them to build a new one)

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 pm

shifty_eyed wrote:

I think they will. The aggies will fund this thing.

Chatter on aggie message boards is that they are planning on moving this thing to College Station in five years. Clever. Can't build your own law school but you can buy one in ft. worth and ship it down. (they have been trying for decades, but the texas legislature wont allow them to build a new one)

Interesting twist.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”