which transcripts should I include in the application?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
laura2011

which transcripts should I include in the application?

Postby laura2011 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:47 pm

Hi everyone!

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on which transcripts to include in my application. (I know they say to include everything but I figure they can't tell if I leave anything out really).

I have a good undergrad GPA (which will obviously be included in my app). What I'm wondering about is stuff like summer schools. I have done four of them in four different countries, some during high school, some during undergrad. I initially wanted to include them all - my general theme is 'international experience' etc on the application so I figured they'd fit in nicely. However, I am hesitating now because I have some A's but also some B's in there - and those would be the only B's I have on official transcripts in the entire app so I'm thinking they might pull down my academic 'image' so to speak ... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

dingbat

Re: which transcripts should I include in the application?

Postby dingbat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 pm

laura2011 wrote:Hi everyone!

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on which transcripts to include in my application. (I know they say to include everything but I figure they can't tell if I leave anything out really).

I have a good undergrad GPA (which will obviously be included in my app). What I'm wondering about is stuff like summer schools. I have done four of them in four different countries, some during high school, some during undergrad. I initially wanted to include them all - my general theme is 'international experience' etc on the application so I figured they'd fit in nicely. However, I am hesitating now because I have some A's but also some B's in there - and those would be the only B's I have on official transcripts in the entire app so I'm thinking they might pull down my academic 'image' so to speak ... any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

You must include all your undergrad transcripts.
If you did a summer abroad, or a semester abroad, and the grades are reflected on the transcript of your main school, you do not need to provide a separate transcript (i.e. no duplication)
Foreign grades do not count toward your LSGPA, unless they are reflected on the transcript of your U.S. UG
Last edited by dingbat on Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:52 pm

Hmm, I wonder how many applications a given law school receives from a UK-educated German citizen name Laura? For your sake I hope lots, because otherwise law schools would probably find out you lied on your apps and either deny you or, if it's after you enroll, expel you.

splitsplat

Postby splitsplat » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:05 pm

chance of them finding out is small, but if they do, you will be fucked. send them all.

laura2011

Postby laura2011 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:19 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Hmm, I wonder how many applications a given law school receives from a UK-educated German citizen name Laura? For your sake I hope lots, because otherwise law schools would probably find out you lied on your apps and either deny you or, if it's after you enroll, expel you.

yeah, because all the personal info i post here i exactly correct - NOT. but thanks anyway.

aekea

Postby aekea » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

So you're asking if it's worth it to lie on your applications in exchange for a marginally better GPA? No, it is not. Send LSAC everything.

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Send in every transcript on which you earned college-level credit, including credits you earned while still in high school.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:04 am

laura2011 wrote:I know they say to include everything but I figure they can't tell if I leave anything out really.

If the school doesn't figure this out, the Bar will. This will create very, very big problems in your life.

Play by the rules.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:13 am

bp shinners wrote:
laura2011 wrote:I know they say to include everything but I figure they can't tell if I leave anything out really.

If the school doesn't figure this out, the Bar will. This will create very, very big problems in your life.

Play by the rules.

Seriously, this is an autoding if they find out before matriculation, grounds for expulsion during law school, grounds for refusal to the bar, or grounds for disbarment if accepted.
Basically, you need to hide it for the rest of your life and hope no one ever finds out.

Or you could just be honest about it. If the study abroad is not on your US transcript the grades don't count toward your LSGPA, so it's not a big deal

laura2011

Postby laura2011 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:41 pm

thanks for the feedback. actually hadn't realized it would be such a monumental deal.

dingbat

Postby dingbat » Tue Jun 26, 2012 1:46 pm

laura2011 wrote:thanks for the feedback. actually hadn't realized it would be such a monumental deal.

I'm giving a worst-case scenario, it might not be that bad, but do you really want to risk it?
I mean, if it comes up, you could get away with a formal apology and an explanation. But maybe not. It's a silly thing to hide, so it's not worth whatever the possible repercussions might be.

laura2011

Postby laura2011 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:52 pm

true. thanks for the advice.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”