How Does Everyone Hide Their Facebook During Their Cycle?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )

How do you hide your FB from law schools?

Deactivate
14%
Change last name
8%
Privacy Settings - Do Not Show Up in Searches
18%
Privacy Settings - Only friends can see your wall, etc. (or some other criterion)
24%
"Sanitize" it but keep it open
6%
Do not change anything
30%

Total votes: 50

JCFindley

Re: How Does Everyone Hide Their Facebook During Their Cycle?

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:51 pm

dingbat wrote:If you use your real name, on the other hand, then they should have no trouble figuring you out
edit:

Dang, I outed myself.

Wait for it.

TheRainMan

Postby TheRainMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:52 pm

rriles wrote:
yeah you're right, ad comms do that plus scour facebook to such an extent that we need to have a general conversation about how we can all safeguard ourselves from some dean of admissions finding out how much we drink/party/act like idiots

my bad if i offended, it just seems like the least of anyone's concerns. like, just about every person reading this thread and actually worrying about ad comms trolling their FB pages would be better off using that time to study for the LSAT, lol.

What if they already took the LSAT?

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 pm

rriles wrote:
my bad if i offended, it just seems like the least of anyone's concerns. like, just about every person reading this thread and actually worrying about ad comms trolling their FB pages would be better off using that time to study for the LSAT, lol.

I would but I refuse to retake and sit out a cycle.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:54 pm

TheRainMan wrote:
rriles wrote:
yeah you're right, ad comms do that plus scour facebook to such an extent that we need to have a general conversation about how we can all safeguard ourselves from some dean of admissions finding out how much we drink/party/act like idiots

then they should have a beer and be at peace with themselves.

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:04 pm

rriles wrote:
TheRainMan wrote:
rriles wrote:

then they should have a beer and be at peace with themselves.

I nominate rriles to regulate what topics of conversation are acceptable on TLS. You are the voice of reason in a forsaken land of burgers.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:17 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
kapachino wrote:The private settings give folks a false sense of security. I had an interview with a firm last year, and one of the first things we discussed was stuff that they had clearly gotten from my FB profile. I don't know if that means they pay FB to see candidates' profiles or what, but being private and unsearchable doesn't mean a thing if people want to learn more about you.

If your settings were private and unsearchable then they almost certainly got the info from somewhere else. We probably would have heard about it by now if fb had a secret operation where any company could pay money to see any fb information.

I can't get into how I know they saw it, but they most certainly saw it. The information they had (which wasn't remotely scandalous) was only on my Facebook profile. This is a fairly common practice. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-1734920.html

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:20 pm

kapachino wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
kapachino wrote:The private settings give folks a false sense of security. I had an interview with a firm last year, and one of the first things we discussed was stuff that they had clearly gotten from my FB profile. I don't know if that means they pay FB to see candidates' profiles or what, but being private and unsearchable doesn't mean a thing if people want to learn more about you.

If your settings were private and unsearchable then they almost certainly got the info from somewhere else. We probably would have heard about it by now if fb had a secret operation where any company could pay money to see any fb information.

I can't get into how I know they saw it, but they most certainly saw it. The information they had (which wasn't remotely scandalous) was only on my Facebook profile. This is a fairly common practice. http://www.cbsnews.com/2100-18563_162-1734920.html

do you honestly believe this says what you're suggesting? j/w

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:22 pm

JCFindley wrote:
I hope they do, maybe they will buy some art from one of my sites.... In all seriousness, I never assume anonymity anywhere on the net. I never say anything I wouldn't want my kids, my wife, my boss, my friends or an adcomm member to see... It is why I use my real name on here and every other forum I am on....

Wow, JC, your photography is amazing. Very impressive. So far my favorites are King Street, The Republic Awakens, and everything in the Seasons gallery.

Mad Hatter

Postby Mad Hatter » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:24 pm

Nova wrote:
JCFindley wrote:
I hope they do, maybe they will buy some art from one of my sites.... In all seriousness, I never assume anonymity anywhere on the net. I never say anything I wouldn't want my kids, my wife, my boss, my friends or an adcomm member to see... It is why I use my real name on here and every other forum I am on....

Wow, JC, your photography is amazing. Very impressive. So far my favorites are King Street, The Republic Awakens, and everything in the Seasons gallery.

OMGOMG YOU LURKED HIM REAL GOOD!!! YOU MUST BE A NINJA!!!11!

Nova

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:25 pm

Mad Hatter wrote:
Nova wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

OMGOMG YOU LURKED HIM REAL GOOD!!! YOU MUST BE A NINJA!!!11!

Yes, I am.

kapachino

Postby kapachino » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:30 pm

fatduck wrote:

CBS wrote:

DeMello estimates that about 20 percent of companies are secretly scanning online profiles before they interview applicants. What they often find is shocking — including profiles that detail drug use, orgies and illegal behavior.

Many employers admit they've even learned how to access profiles students think are "private" — and they're surprised by how many students don't care if everyone knows everything about them.

Yes. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was in undergrad, when I applied for a job at Walgreen's. One of the first things they said was, "We've seen your Facebook page, and that's why you're here." I was private then, too.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:40 pm

Nova wrote:
JCFindley wrote:

Thanks Nova..... I really am pretty easy to find and that takes a lot of work in and of itself.
Last edited by JCFindley on Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:44 pm

kapachino wrote:
fatduck wrote:

CBS wrote:

DeMello estimates that about 20 percent of companies are secretly scanning online profiles before they interview applicants. What they often find is shocking — including profiles that detail drug use, orgies and illegal behavior.

Many employers admit they've even learned how to access profiles students think are "private" — and they're surprised by how many students don't care if everyone knows everything about them.

Yes. This is the second time this has happened. The first time was in undergrad, when I applied for a job at Walgreen's. One of the first things they said was, "We've seen your Facebook page, and that's why you're here." I was private then, too.

Nothing is as private as people think it is.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”