Slightly Obsessed?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
jared6180

Slightly Obsessed?

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:21 am

Anyone here ever looked into a law school they felt they could get into, and get obsessed with reading everything they can about the law school? Perhaps I am unbalanced, I am sitting on the border I think with my 3.0 GPA, and taking the LSAT this October, but I think I have got a big crush on two schools that might be out of my league...WUSTL and NU...they both seem pretty splitter friendly, which is what makes them so attractive to me, but my LSAT struggles will likely keep me out of those two schools.

I sure hope all the sub 3.00 people that got into these schools really appreciates what an opportunity they have. I hope to be in their spot 12 months from now. I keep pics and reminders of each school up to keep me motivated to study when I just feel like getting a 152 and staying here at my local TTTT. Sorry, but I have those days sometimes.

cutecarmel

Re: Slightly Obsessed?

Postby cutecarmel » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:44 pm

I don't think I was ever obsessed, and I've never done the picture thing or anything like that, but I did do a lot of research about the schools I wanted to go to and a searched this site for info about what the students thought about the school.

I think that answered your question.

North

Postby North » Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:33 pm

I know exactly what you're talking about. Cornell is the school that does it for me. Pretty pictures of Myron Taylor Hall and the law library monopolize the backgrounds of my electronics. I think it's helpful for people like us who need to become splitters. When I get tired of the LONG hours of LSAT prep, I take a while to read up on Cornell stuff or scroll through the Pictures of Law Schools thread. It gets me excited about having a chance to go to a great school, and that makes me want to get back to redoing LG's.

Don't be ashamed. Use the obsession to your benefit. At the very least, it'll make our Why X statements more believable.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:25 pm

North wrote:I know exactly what you're talking about. Cornell is the school that does it for me. Pretty pictures of Myron Taylor Hall and the law library monopolize the backgrounds of my electronics. I think it's helpful for people like us who need to become splitters. When I get tired of the LONG hours of LSAT prep, I take a while to read up on Cornell stuff or scroll through the Pictures of Law Schools thread. It gets me excited about having a chance to go to a great school, and that makes me want to get back to redoing LG's.

Don't be ashamed. Use the obsession to your benefit. At the very least, it'll make our Why X statements more believable.

That is very true. Studying becomes much easier with great architecture to look at. WUSTL and NU seem to have very different styles. Cornell is a gorgeous school, and it would not disappoint me to have to choose between NU and Cornell in a year. They don't seem to be nearly as accommodating to splitters as WUSTL, NU or even Virginia seems to be.

I think as an older student (32), NU would fit better for me but that is just based on my reading, not a visit to the school or first hand knowledge.

At any rate becoming obsessed is a strong motivator to work hard on the LSAT in my own opinion.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:38 pm

North wrote: I think it's helpful for people like us who need to become splitters.

This is spot on. With a less than stellar GPA, you need extra motivation for the LSAT. However, before my LSAT, I stopped researching because it made me stressed out about the actual test. You don't need to be thinking about how you need a 170+ LSAT or whatever when you go into the test.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:40 pm

I'm definitely obsessed with Columbia

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:43 pm

rabbitrun wrote:
North wrote: I think it's helpful for people like us who need to become splitters.

This is spot on. With a less than stellar GPA, you need extra motivation for the LSAT. However, before my LSAT, I stopped researching because it made me stressed out about the actual test. You don't need to be thinking about how you need a 170+ LSAT or whatever when you go into the test.

Absolutely correct. i went to a free diagnostic at my UG and completely screwed myself by thinking, "I need a 168+" over and over again. A month before the LSAT I think I will likely leave school research alone completely and apply that time to more study.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:44 pm

moonman157 wrote:I'm definitely obsessed with Columbia

not being critical, but why? I get that it's a high ranking school, but any other specific reasons?

chuckbass

Postby chuckbass » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:55 pm

I've definitely switched between Columbia and Penn for my computer backgrounds... Both beautiful schools. Well except Columbia's law building of course ;)

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:59 pm

I used to be obsessed, and I mean incredibly obsessed, but as matriculation day approached I became more and more unenthused. I am now quite unenthused.

rabbitrun

Postby rabbitrun » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:23 am

I get all obsessed when I look at Michigan because it looks like Hogwarts. I go through phases though. Berkeley, Vandy, Cornell...

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:25 am

Law school admissions is like dating. You fantasize about law schools - several in particular - and make the subject of law school admissions your daily bread. But after the chase is won, the allure dissipates faster than a one night stand.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:26 am

FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Law school admissions is like dating. You fantasize about law schools - several in particular - and make the subject of law school admissions your daily bread. But after the chase is won, the allure dissipates faster than a one night stand.

QFT

I dreamed about getting into Cornell for the longest time (only t14 I thought I could get into). Eventually ended up at Columbia (did better on the LSAT than I expected). Was really, really excited for the first few weeks after CLS accepted me, but now I feel kind of indifferent.

FloridaCoastalorbust

Postby FloridaCoastalorbust » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:32 am

KevinP wrote:
FloridaCoastalorbust wrote:Law school admissions is like dating. You fantasize about law schools - several in particular - and make the subject of law school admissions your daily bread. But after the chase is won, the allure dissipates faster than a one night stand.

QFT

I dreamed about getting into Cornell for the longest time (only t14 I thought I could get into). Eventually ended up at Columbia (did better on the LSAT than I expected). Was really, really excited for the first few weeks after CLS accepted me, but now I feel kind of indifferent.

I've learned that this is life. Fuck. Better read the Myth of Sisyphus again. Revolts n shit

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:36 am

jared6180 wrote:
moonman157 wrote:I'm definitely obsessed with Columbia

not being critical, but why? I get that it's a high ranking school, but any other specific reasons?

Haha no worries, I'm not offended. It's extremely and embarrassingly prestige based. I love NYC and desperately want a top firm in the city, so its biglaw/V20 placement is quite alluring. Plus the beautiful campus, the nice part of town (yes, I've gone so far as to convince myself that it's in a nice part of town), the Ivy League status (I come from a Big 10 school so obviously football conference is big for me) and the lay prestige.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:38 am

KevinP wrote:

QFT

This was/will be exactly me. Practice testing 166-170. Thought i got about a 163-164 on the actual test. Would have given my left arm to go to Cornell. Got my score back and now I won't be satisfied with anything less than Columbia. If someone would please step in and tell me what a fool I am, it would be greatly appreciated.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:45 am

jared6180 wrote:Anyone here ever looked into a law school they felt they could get into, and get obsessed with reading everything they can about the law school? Perhaps I am unbalanced, I am sitting on the border I think with my 3.0 GPA, and taking the LSAT this October, but I think I have got a big crush on two schools that might be out of my league...WUSTL and NU...they both seem pretty splitter friendly, which is what makes them so attractive to me, but my LSAT struggles will likely keep me out of those two schools.

I sure hope all the sub 3.00 people that got into these schools really appreciates what an opportunity they have. I hope to be in their spot 12 months from now. I keep pics and reminders of each school up to keep me motivated to study when I just feel like getting a 152 and staying here at my local TTTT. Sorry, but I have those days sometimes.

But to the OP, best of luck with the LSAT. You're giving yourself some time, so work your butt off and get that 170+! It's definitely possible, and hopefully your obsession with these schools will help motivate you!

Clarity

Postby Clarity » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:13 pm

I went to Chicago and accidentally parked in front of Northwestern which caused me to fall in love. The school is beautiful and the atmosphere near the school is amazing. Too bad I have no full time work experience.

Helicio

Postby Helicio » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:37 pm

I have a great GPA but I will not start fantasizing about schools until I get my LSAT score back.

I will not start setting backgrounds, etc. until I am accepted. Anything else seems like I'm setting myself up for possible dissapointment.

But yeah, my ideal school is Columbia with UPenn a distant second.

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:30 am

I was never been obsessed with some places.

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:50 am

I want a school with good employment stats and great architecture to start with...

North

Postby North » Tue Jun 26, 2012 10:43 am

lynch wrote:I was never been obsessed with some places.
Are all your posts this incoherent?
Edit: Yes, it appears they are.

jared6180 wrote:and great architecture to start with...
This carries an inordinate amount of weight in my academic decisions. I could never go to BU.

splitbrain

Postby splitbrain » Tue Jun 26, 2012 11:56 am

Cooley's library. Mmmmm.

moonman157

Postby moonman157 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:06 pm

splitbrain wrote:Cooley's library. Mmmmm.

So many seats...

jared6180

Postby jared6180 » Tue Jun 26, 2012 2:47 pm

honestly, who designed BU? looks like the same guy who designed some section 8 housing projects. At least you could say you graduated from the ugliest law school in the country! Sorry, just could not do it...unless they gave me full $$$ and a stipend...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”