Anyone else unemployed right now?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katesearches

Postby katesearches » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:41 pm

How long have you not been working? what kinda job are you looking for, pay rate, anything you wanna vent about your job search?

cutecarmel

Re: Anyone else unemployed right now?

Postby cutecarmel » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:59 pm

Probably not the best forum to post that in.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:32 pm

cutecarmel wrote:Probably not the best forum to post that in.

whys that? was just trying to see if any other people appyling to law school was in the same boat as me

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:02 am

I'm unemployed right now and loving it. However, it's because my cycle was over that I quit my job early this summer to travel and enjoy my last 3-4 months of freedom. Most of the 0Ls at my future LS that I've talked to are doing the same thing. Not looking for anything really... just enjoying life.

Beforehand, I was working as an assistant at a law firm for a little less than $20/hr for just under a year.

katesearches

Postby katesearches » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:09 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:I'm unemployed right now and loving it. However, it's because my cycle was over that I quit my job early this summer to travel and enjoy my last 3-4 months of freedom. Most of the 0Ls at my future LS that I've talked to are doing the same thing. Not looking for anything really... just enjoying life.

Beforehand, I was working as an assistant at a law firm for a little less than $20/hr for just under a year.

That will be me in a yr. Hopefully :D
Was your law firm mid-size, biglaw, etc? A lot of positions I've been looking at have been way less than that

powder

Postby powder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:24 am

Last edited by powder on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:47 am

Being unemployed is tough, stressful, depressing, and daunting. Especially when youre broke. I have a lot of empathy for all of yall who post ITT, and I wish yall the best.
Last edited by Nova on Sat Jul 07, 2012 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:38 am

katesearches wrote:Was your law firm mid-size, biglaw, etc? A lot of positions I've been looking at have been way less than that

I'm not really sure how I'd classify my old firm. It's definitely not biglaw. Probably a hybrid between mid-size and boutique: it's a full service firm with only about 20 - 30 attorneys that are almost all HYS grads in their late-60s and 70s after stints in biglaw. I think being in a major market and my prior work experience in a niche finance field that the firm was trying to expand to helped me land the job. (I was pretty snobby and definitely thought my time was worth more than what they were paying me... one of the reasons I left early.)

People were awesome there though. Knowing what I know now, I would advise against applying to biglaw assistant positions as a near-future LS applicant. First, most biglaw firms I met with wanted a 2 year commitment from me. Second, people are way too stressed out at biglaw and they don't pay their assistants enough to justify it. My friends that worked at firms like W&C/OMM/Latham before applying for LS always had to answer their blackberries when they went out and just seemed stressed out all the time. It wasn't like that at my old firm because most of the attorneys there DGAF about making $$, or at least made it seem like that, and really took on more of a mentor role with their assistants as soon as they find out you're applying to law school (and fail to talk you out of it). The perk of working in biglaw is the networking and possible future employment (contingent on getting good, but unpredictable, first year grades).

Mid-size/boutiques are amazing places for pre-LS applicants, imo. I rarely even stayed past 6, but your mileage may very.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Sat Jun 23, 2012 9:21 am

* goes to law school *

* 3 years of SPS, brothers *

* graduates unemployed *

* makes same thread in legal employment forum *

* FUCKING SHITBOOMERS *

JCFindley

Postby JCFindley » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:21 am

Yupp, it was the one weeks notice I got that the military contract I worked on was cancelled that got me thinking about LS again and truly wanting to work for myself in the future....

I have tried to find some gap jobs to fill in between that time and LS but to no avail so I am simply working on my art sales to create a passive income while I am in LS......

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:29 pm

In this economy, I think the better question would be: "Is anyone employed right now?"

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”