Should I major in Business Economics or just Economics?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
FlyingFeatherz

Should I major in Business Economics or just Economics?

Postby FlyingFeatherz » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:01 pm

I'm new to this forum so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I'm a first year pre-law at UCLA and I've heard that law admissions don't care what your major is, as long as you have a high GPA/LSAT. I'm currently an Economics major. My school, however, offers a Business/Economics major (just includes an additional 4-5 classes) along with an Accounting minor (the classes overlap). Should I bother pursuing these to look more favorable for law admissions?

Plan A: Economics Major
Plan B: Business/Economics Major w. Accounting Minor

What I'm worried about is damaging my GPA if I go with Plan B. I currently have a 3.4 and of course still trying to raise it

bruss

Re: Should I major in Business Economics or just Economics?

Postby bruss » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:07 pm

Accounting is hard as shit. Good luck?

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:08 pm

Whatever major will allow you to raise your GPA and enjoy college the most. Schools won't care either way.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:11 pm

First thing that came to mind: Neither. Be an engineer.

Second thing that came to mind: Way too early to be worried about law school. It's not going anywhere. Take your time in life, pick a major you like, work hard, get A's, and - this is the important part - have some fun.

Third thing that came to mind: Honestly, ask yourself what you would like to do were you not to become a lawyer. And keep an open mind. There are a lot of lawyers out there who hate being lawyers (assuming they even can find legal work). If you have any desire to do something non-legal, the double major and the accounting minor are not going to hurt you. And, frankly, taking on that kind of extra work shouldn't cause your grades to drop much, if at all. So I would say just man up and do Plan B.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:13 pm

It won't be more favorable for law school admissions but it might give you more useful knowledge for pursuing a career other than law. The accounting minor would be particularly helpful. It also might open you eyes to different things you might be interested. Straight econ is very academic and even though the analytical way of thinking useful, the specifics are only useful in a few classes.

Definitely take some business and accounting classes to see what interests you. I know accounting nerds who love that shit. I hated it with a passion. It can help if you decided to go to law school to find out what you are interested. For example, I'm not particularly interested tax even though it is a pretty chill area to practice in because I might have to take to an accountant or something.

Postby 2014 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:51 pm

Do some sort of business major, kill it, get a jerb out of college and never look back.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 9:04 pm

Do whichever one gets you a job with Wells Fargo when you graduate and allows you to skip law school

Br3v

Postby Br3v » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:06 pm

1) don't refer to yourself as pre-law
2) what is business economics? Honestly it sounds like an easier version of Eco but by the way you describe it it seems harder. So I would just do regular Eco.
3) don't really worry about a minor unless you can do it without affecting GPA

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:11 pm

Br3v wrote:1) don't refer to yourself as pre-law

^Actually a good point

emkay625

Postby emkay625 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:19 pm

If law school is the final destination, pick whichever option gives you the highest gpa. end of story.

CardozoLaw09

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:23 pm

emkay625 wrote:If law school is the final destination, pick whichever option gives you the highest gpa. end of story.

rayiner

Postby rayiner » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:25 pm

Engineering or computer science.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:44 pm

rayiner wrote:Engineering or computer science.

My first instincts were correct about 8 years after the fact!!

murray18

Postby murray18 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:02 pm

We had the same thing at UGA, and I actually switched from business economics to regular economics. I found the real economics classes much more interesting than finance 1001 and real estate, and I was able to minor in history, which I always found interesting (but not interesting enough to wallow in unemployment with a history degree). Besides, my limited experience thus far indicates that employers really dont care which one you do (or even realize theres a difference for that matter), so if you decided against law school then you certainly wouldn't be screwed.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:13 pm

Am I correct in viewing "economics" as more theoretical than the, presumably, more practical "business economics" ? Regardless, pursue the major which you enjoy more. Law schools don't care which of the two majors you earn.

kingjones59

Postby kingjones59 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:22 pm

Go with straight Economics, and make sure you do EXTREMELY WELL in it. I graduated with a 3.96 with my econ degree and had job offers from several big consulting firms, one of which I ended up accepting and defering my acceptance to UVA for a year. Bottom line: job interviewers (consulting) love economics majors, especially if you have a high GPA.

twelvefifty

Postby twelvefifty » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:32 pm

I was in a similar situation as most of the UC's only offer business under the Economics department. I ended up getting the Business Economics major with an "emphasis" in accounting (my school didn't have an accounting minor or major). I am starting my 1L year this year and I am happy with the undergraduate schooling I received (specifically the accounting) as it has opened up far more doors then just an Econ degree would have. I would say that unless you are dead set on law school and do not plan to work at all until you start law school you should take some accounting classes and see if you enjoy them. Accounting is not hard (at least compared on economics) so it should not hurt your GPA, it is just that upper level classes are tedious.

sequins

Postby sequins » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:17 pm

I started along the bizecon path at ucla then switches to normal Econ. So I actually know what you're talking about. Don't do it! Biz Econ might mean different things in different schools. But at ucla the management classes (basically accounting) are a notorious gpa killer. And it's not really business - its just standard Econ with a few accounting classes tacked on. Just take normal Econ and avoid mcdevitt at all costs and you'll do great. Oh and I thought you needed 3.5 plus to join bizecon?

sequins

Postby sequins » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:18 pm

I started along the bizecon path at ucla then switches to normal Econ. So I actually know what you're talking about. Don't do it! Biz Econ might mean different things in different schools. But at ucla the management classes (basically accounting) are a notorious gpa killer. And it's not really business - its just standard Econ with a few accounting classes tacked on. Just take normal Econ and avoid mcdevitt at all costs and you'll do great. Oh and I thought you needed 3.5 plus to join bizecon? The only person I know who did something with bizecon that Econ majors cusnt was accounting.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:22 pm

FlyingFeatherz wrote:Plan A: Economics Major

You won't get a job with either Economics or Business Economics ITE. (ITE=in this economy.) Accounting jobs seem to still exist even ITE, so definitely plan on doing the accounting minor. If you can swing it, (and if UC Los Angeles or city colleges in the area offer enough courses) take enough accounting units so as to qualify to take the CPA exam if you decide to pick that credential up before law school.

Whether you do plan A or plan B, take an accounting minor.

Of Economics and Business Economics, go with Economics. Economics is highly respected by the STEM crowd despite being a social science major. Its also respected by the social science/humanities crowd because while it attracts people who want to make money, it also has a fair amount of cool fraternity bros in the major. (Speaking of which, join a Social Fraternity/Sorority that has a house by campus. Doing that is probably more of the credited response to getting a job than your choice of major.)

Business Economics has the word "Business" in its name. That's bad. People will be unsure how many of your classes were rigorous economics classes as opposed to business fluff courses. This is true even if your school has a "hard" Business Economics program, because of the low esteem most Business programs are held in.

TL/DR Summary: Major in regular Economics with a minor in Accounting.

sequins

Postby sequins » Sat Jun 23, 2012 4:18 pm

apollo2015 wrote:
FlyingFeatherz wrote:Plan A: Economics Major

You won't get a job with either Economics or Business Economics ITE. (ITE=in this economy.) Accounting jobs seem to still exist even ITE, so definitely plan on doing the accounting minor. If you can swing it, (and if UC Los Angeles or city colleges in the area offer enough courses) take enough accounting units so as to qualify to take the CPA exam if you decide to pick that credential up before law school.

Whether you do plan A or plan B, take an accounting minor.

Of Economics and Business Economics, go with Economics. Economics is highly respected by the STEM crowd despite being a social science major. Its also respected by the social science/humanities crowd because while it attracts people who want to make money, it also has a fair amount of cool fraternity bros in the major. (Speaking of which, join a Social Fraternity/Sorority that has a house by campus. Doing that is probably more of the credited response to getting a job than your choice of major.)

Business Economics has the word "Business" in its name. That's bad. People will be unsure how many of your classes were rigorous economics classes as opposed to business fluff courses. This is true even if your school has a "hard" Business Economics program, because of the low esteem most Business programs are held in.

Just to offer a different perspective from someone who actually graduated from ucla economics - I don't know anyone without a good econ-related job with a decent gpa (3.0) and even people with barely 2.0 have jobs. (Well two exceptions - I self-selected out of applying to econ related jobs - was building teaching experience for PHd. before switching to Law - and another friend who is going into med school - so is doing med/bio related research) If you want the option of going to LS don't do accounting - unless you really enjoy it. You can pm me if you have any specific questions related to ucla econ/bizecon.

apollo2015

Postby apollo2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:51 pm

sequins wrote:
apollo2015 wrote:

Just to offer a different perspective from someone who actually graduated from ucla economics - I don't know anyone without a good econ-related job with a decent gpa (3.0) and even people with barely 2.0 have jobs. (Well two exceptions - I self-selected out of applying to econ related jobs - was building teaching experience for PHd. before switching to Law - and another friend who is going into med school - so is doing med/bio related research)

Wow. The economics market must be pretty different in Los Angeles. That's good to hear.

TheRainMan

Postby TheRainMan » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:47 pm

Economics, it sounds more impressive in that it involves more analytical thinking

Mal Reynolds

Postby Mal Reynolds » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:49 pm

TheRainMan wrote:Economics, it sounds more impressive in that it involves more analytical thinking

LOL.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:51 pm

Mal Reynolds wrote:
TheRainMan wrote:Economics, it sounds more impressive in that it involves more analytical thinking

LOL.

oh, i bet you read a lotta Gordon Wood, huh? you read your Gordon Wood and you regurgitate it from a textbook and think you're wicked awesome doin that, and how bout dem apples?

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”