upward trending GPAs (search yielded nothing)

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
rftdd888

upward trending GPAs (search yielded nothing)

Postby rftdd888 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 6:14 am

i searched for this and didn't find anything so i decided to post, forgive me in advance if i missed something important. here is my question:

how much does an upward trend in an applicant's GPA boost their application? really take that at any angle.

my searched did yield a few threads where the applicant's really didn't have noticeable upward trends. what i would be talking about would be something like this over 4 years: 3.0 -> 3.3 -> 3.6 -> 3.7 with the last 3+ semesters being 4.0's?

Br3v

Re: upward trending GPAs (search yielded nothing)

Postby Br3v » Thu Jun 21, 2012 7:20 am

Because it is not your lsat or cumulative gpa, it is not that big of a factor. Though it could help in a borderline case, and is certainly better than a downward trend.

Basically, not much but it ain't bad.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 9:22 am

Br3v wrote: Basically, not much

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:20 pm

Depends on the rest of your app package.

The above posters are right in that it won't matter a lot, but combined with other independently mediocre softs like work experience, leadership roles, solid LORs, strong PS/DS and early app/reduced applicants... it could become a decent boost. I outperformed my cycle quite a bit (accepted at all the "weak consider" schools + a "deny" according to lawschoolpredictor) and I don't have any spectacular softs... only my upward trend and the other mediocre softs I've listed here. It's definitely better than the alternative.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:01 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:Depends on the rest of your app package.

The above posters are right in that it won't matter a lot, but combined with other independently mediocre softs like work experience, leadership roles, solid LORs, strong PS/DS and early app/reduced applicants... it could become a decent boost. I outperformed my cycle quite a bit (accepted at all the "weak consider" schools + a "deny" according to lawschoolpredictor) and I don't have any spectacular softs... only my upward trend and the other mediocre softs I've listed here. It's definitely better than the alternative.

yeah. my application looks like this:
  • the upward GPA trend
  • did not complete school at all, finished school before middle school
  • very poor during childhood, hence school
  • only person in family to graduate highschool (GED), obviously making me first college grad and now law student
  • worked throughout undergrad
  • strong leadership softs
  • strong PS about background/socioeconomic disadvantages
  • strong LORs
basically i just got a lot of B's in my first year in college because it was my first time in school in over 10 years. i think i'm going to write a GPA addendum

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Congrats on pursuing professional school after getting your GED. Thats a pretty big deal. :D

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:13 am

Nova wrote:Congrats on pursuing professional school after getting your GED. Thats a pretty big deal. :D

thanks! it only began to seem like a big deal to me when i got to the point where i realized i have a pretty good shot at top 10 schools, where i hope the entire story gives me a soft boost as a disadvantaged applicant

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:08 am

I think you can be cautiously optimistic about your chances.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:51 pm

JDizzle2015 wrote:I think you can be cautiously optimistic about your chances.

tremendous. thank you. i hope so. my GPA is going to top out at about 3.725, so i'm sort of on the cusp in the 25th percentile area for H. common sense probably says that i'm at least better than an applicant with a normal background with my GPA without the upward swing, if only by a hair. i'm glad you guys think it could be something, even small.

JDizzle2015

Postby JDizzle2015 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 12:58 am

I believe H really likes post-undergrad work experience nowadays (and recently have been dipping around 3.7). I gather you worked during those 10 years before undergraduate. If you haven't worked full time after college, it might be worth your while to get at least a year under your belt. You're definitely a non-traditional applicant.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:05 am

JDizzle2015 wrote:I believe H really likes post-undergrad work experience nowadays (and recently have been dipping around 3.7). I gather you worked during those 10 years before undergraduate. If you haven't worked full time after college, it might be worth your while to get at least a year under your belt. You're definitely a non-traditional applicant.

well that's good news.

i definitely have several years of work experience, but i'm not really sure what actually qualifies. i've been working my entire way through college and got my first job at 16. i'm also going to work full time for a full year after i graduate and before i start law school, but i'm not sure what job i should look for that would look good on the application.

in terms of normal high school and college age work exp, however, i have years of that. plus experience working on campaigns and extracurricular softs on campus like student government and being VP of a club etc.

fenix916

Postby fenix916 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:15 am

Don't see an LSAT on here, but if you do well on the LSAT I think you'll be fine. I applied to law school with a cumulative 3.28 from a pretty good undergrad and 170 LSAT and got into some T14 schools. I had a 2.8 my freshmen year of undergrad, so I got better, but I was never stellar. But I guess we could infer that schools cared about my upward trend in GPA?

Also, if it's relevant, I'm a straight white male.

Whatever you do, keep you drive and your humility about you and you'll be fine. As a 1L I heard all these kids bragging about they're 175+ LSATs and their scholarships, and I ended up burying them. Good luck!

powder

Postby powder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:40 am

Last edited by powder on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:45 am

yeah, totally dude. my first three semesters just had a ton of B's because it was the first time i had been in a class room in like 10 years. the last five = 4.0. i figure at least i can addendum and say 'hey, once i got my ass situated i swept up.' just in, you know, prettier language.

powder

Postby powder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:34 am

Last edited by powder on Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:45 am

powder wrote:I'm not sure if I'm going to add an addendum. My PS is about leaving the mill for college, DS is about various aspects of my family/upbringing. The GPA trend is noticeable, but I'm worried about beating them over the head with explanations. I agree though, I want them to think, once this guy got his shit together, he really got his shit together.

Probably the weirdest span in my life was working a twelve on the line, then about a day later, arriving on campus. I was still wearing carhartts and probably looked like a gardener.

You think I should write an addendum and point it out? Or just stand pat and let them read between the lines?

i've spent a ton of time reading the information available on this forum and on this site as a whole. the credited response in my experience is to write an addendum for your GPA if (only if?) you feel it suffered because you were going through something that hurt you academically. that's obviously a non-answer because its so subjective.

i think mine is fair because i am guessing adcomms will agree with me that what i had going on probably put me at a disadvantage early on in my academic career. you have to figure out if you feel the same way, and it's really a gut decision. my advice on writing one would be to dont make any excuses, dont show any weaknesses. explain the circumstances straight up, and write it in a way that reads in a believable way. that really goes for anyone, not you specifically.

powder

Postby powder » Sat Jun 23, 2012 3:26 am

Last edited by powder on Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rftdd888

Postby rftdd888 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:32 pm

Yeah, that's the only thing that matters imo - just feeling confident that they will think it was worth the addendum, you know? Good luck man

lynch

Postby lynch » Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:31 am

Good luck man!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”