Do admissions reps care about specific courses?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
CardozoLaw09

Do admissions reps care about specific courses?

Postby CardozoLaw09 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:43 pm

Do admissions officers place any weight on the courses taken during your undergrad when assessing your transcript? For example, if I got As in classes like Critical Reasoning, Logic, Philosophy of Law.. will they take ANY consideration given the relevance of these courses and their applicability to skills that are essential in law school? Also, I have a "D" in Intermediate French, long story short, ultimately I did not NEED to take this class but at the time I enrolled it was a part of my language requirement. Will they cut some slack considering it's a language course? Or am I being too optimistic and do they only care about the numbers? ie) strictly only your cumulative gpa?

gaud

Re: Do admissions reps care about specific courses?

Postby gaud » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 pm

I can't imagine it would matter too much. Numbers are what matters most.

dixon02

Postby dixon02 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:45 pm

CardozoLaw09 wrote: Or am I being too optimistic and do they only care about the numbers? ie) strictly only your cumulative gpa?

Yes.

bingbang1025

Postby bingbang1025 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:55 pm

They all claim that they do. I'd imagine it only matters as far as a) taking ridiculously easy or b) ridiculously rigorous courses, each being a slight minus or plus respectively.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:06 pm

No.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Jun 20, 2012 7:10 pm

I doubt they will care about what you are talking about. :cry:

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:18 am

CardozoLaw09 wrote:For example, if I got As in classes like Critical Reasoning, Logic, Philosophy of Law.. will they take ANY consideration given the relevance of these courses and their applicability to skills that are essential in law school?

Not to be a jerk, but you're assuming that you learned skills in these classes that are going to be applicable to law. There are far more Philosophy of Law classes out there that actually hurt the ability of students to pick up concepts in law school than help them. That's why they just look at overall GPA, and that's why they put more weight on the LSAT - they want to remove as much of the guesswork as to the academic rigor of a particular school/major/class as much as possible.

Tom Joad

Postby Tom Joad » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:27 am

I am living proof they don't if you take the easiest classes ever offered, if that helps.

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am

If you're still in school and have the opportunity to do so, take classes that'll provide you with a backup plan if you don't go to law school.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”