Someone claiming my position in activity on application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
Ded Precedent

Silver

Re: Someone claiming my position in activity on application?

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:09 pm

mattviphky wrote:i bet if op asked if being the president of a club would be beneficial for admissions, no one would even say that it makes any difference.
That's not the point. If I was the president of a club and someone else was claiming to hold my position I would call them out on it regardless of whether or not I planned on listing it on a resume or application.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:14 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
ookoshi wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
When the asshole started causing potential problems for the OP, he made it the OPs business. If the OP wanted to out him, I wouldn't blame them. Besides, if minding your own business is your mantra, why are you minding the OP's?
HURRR DURRRRRR
That's why you will never get ahead in life.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:16 pm

Find out what law schools said person applied to, then send a letter to all relevant adcoms detailing the misrepresentations on the application of that individual

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:20 pm

dingbat wrote:Find out what law schools said person applied to, then send a letter to all relevant adcoms detailing the misrepresentations on the application of that individual
What? Just fucking talk to him.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:24 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
dingbat wrote:Find out what law schools said person applied to, then send a letter to all relevant adcoms detailing the misrepresentations on the application of that individual
What? Just fucking talk to him.
Sorry, I left my sarcasm emoticon in my other wallet. :P

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:
mattviphky wrote:i bet if op asked if being the president of a club would be beneficial for admissions, no one would even say that it makes any difference.
That's not the point. If I was the president of a club and someone else was claiming to hold my position I would call them out on it regardless of whether or not I planned on listing it on a resume or application.
HARDXCORE BRAH

I would just tell mutual friends at your school that he has LinkedIn. That is a shame enough.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Tom Joad wrote:
Ded Precedent wrote:
HARDXCORE BRAH

I would just tell mutual friends at your school that he has LinkedIn. That is a shame enough.
He's basically publicly shitting on OP. Asking him to stop isn't really hardcore, it's the very minimal action that needs to be taken in order to not be regarded as a pussy by everyone who is familiar with the situation.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:38 pm

you clearly brought this on yourself by being extraordinarily beta. he was probably better suited to run the club than you were, and i'll wager he actually did a lot of the work while you sat there wringing your hands any time a difficult decision had to be made.

let him have the resume line - he earned it.

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:48 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
North wrote:Is there no tactful way for OP to out this awful person to schools, LSAC, or C&F? Maybe confront him in person?

One fewer budding sleazebag lawyer out there.
Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
This is exactly the kind of thing legal ethics tells lawyers NOT to look the other way on. It's the same reason some schools/bars ask about speeding tickets, etc --> if you're willing to lie about something so mundane as club presidency to further your interests, chances are you'd be willing to lie about something far more serious and potentially damaging to a client to further your interests.

Heck, I'd argue that this could be something OP would be ethically bound to report were he already a member of a bar.

Yes - lawyers are ethically bound to protect the public's faith in its legal institutions by self-policing the sleazebag lawyers amongst their ranks. We are not ethically bound to dampen nosy assholes.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:49 pm

fatduck wrote:you clearly brought this on yourself by being extraordinarily beta. he was probably better suited to run the club than you were, and i'll wager he actually did a lot of the work while you sat there wringing your hands any time a difficult decision had to be made.

he may have been better suited to run the club than I was. unfortunately, we'd never know because he showed up for a total of 3 meetings, and completed exactly 2 tasks (collecting dues, and attending a related conference)

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:49 pm

I'm taking over your thread. This is my thread everyone.

WHATCHA GON DO OP, SIT THERE LIKE A PUSSY?

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:51 pm

Ded Precedent wrote:I'm taking over your thread. This is my thread everyone.

lol, i already wrote on page 1 that I was confronting him after class tomorrow, but thanks for the laugh/support :)

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:56 pm

fatduck wrote:you clearly brought this on yourself by being extraordinarily beta. he was probably better suited to run the club than you were, and i'll wager he actually did a lot of the work while you sat there wringing your hands any time a difficult decision had to be made.

:lol: :lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

zanda

Silver

Post by zanda » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:07 pm

katesearches wrote:

lol, i already wrote on page 1 that I was confronting him after class tomorrow, but thanks for the laugh/support :)
Please update us!

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:09 pm

Hilariously accurate.

OP - in addition to taking it off all of his applications/resume, make sure he takes it off of things that are public. This way you can see if he is doing the bare minimum in following up on the inevitably brutal shakedown you're bringing his way. This means he takes it off of Linkedin and he shuts his mouth in prep class. Also, you can probably take his lunch money for a couple weeks.

jdhonest

Bronze

Post by jdhonest » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:12 pm

If I didn't like the kid, I'd report his ass to anyone and everyone who'd listen. People like him suck balls and I doubt that this is isolated behavior. Screw his ass over ASAP and teach him a lesson. Shit, PM me, and I'll do it (really, I'd love to).

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:27 pm

katesearches wrote:

Trifecta of Striving:
1. Accolade war for a little undergrad club
2. Maybe having a LinkedIn account or at least creeping on striver classmates
3. Taking summer classes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:29 pm

"If I didn't like the kid, I'd report his ass to anyone and everyone who'd listen. People like him suck balls and I doubt that this is isolated behavior. Screw his ass over ASAP and teach him a lesson. Shit, PM me, and I'll do it (really, I'd love to)." As he typed this, jdhonest absent-mindedly wiped his right hand on his pant leg, brushing away Cheeto crumbs before drawing a dirty napkin across his sweaty brow. Glancing up at his framed copy of Batman #3, the law school hopeful swore once again he would be a vengeful shadow in the night, an avatar of brute justice. jdhonest thought back on his own childhood humiliations, losing fights with the bully from the all-girls elementary school down the street, and the others who had wronged him in the past 21 years. Though he he never mustered the bravery to confront his perceived tormentors head on, he found himself a modern-day batcave in his mother's basement. His batmobile? A wireless modem. jdhonest smiled wryly to himself as he imagined the witty statements of his imaginary butler, with whom he would have a valuable friendship characterized by mutual respect and compassion. This was all fantasy, of course, as no voice had pierced the veil of that room except his own in many years. But it was still nice to pretend.

Turning his attention back to the Gotham-like streets of top-law-schools, our hero congratulated himself on his bravery and strength of character. "I have given these people hope in a world otherwise characterized by deceit," he thought to himself. Perhaps instead of emailing admissions, he would steal onto their windowsill in the night and warn them of their applicant pool danger in a gruff voice. "Of course," though jdhonest, "I'd need some sort of grappling hook." He resolved to check this month's spy equipment catalog as soon as it arrived in the mail and his mother brought it to his room.

Tom Joad

Gold

Post by Tom Joad » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:31 pm

Bils, you need to stop working me into fits of laughter right before bedtime.

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 11:35 pm

LOLOLOL. Fucking amazing Bils.

JohnV

Bronze

Post by JohnV » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:33 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
North wrote:Is there no tactful way for OP to out this awful person to schools, LSAC, or C&F? Maybe confront him in person?

Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
Agreed. It's not going to hurt this guy and there's no reason to get involved in their personal lives. Get over it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:06 pm

I think the people who don't want you to report this type of asshole behavior are the same ones that would do this type of asshole behavior. People not wanting to get involved in slapping down assholes like these are part of the reason there are so many assholes like these running around. The "mind your own business" people are the ones contributing to why society going to shit.

jkpolk

Silver

Post by jkpolk » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:21 pm

ookoshi wrote:IPeople not wanting to get involved in slapping down assholes like these are part of the reason there are so many assholes like these running around.
Dont tell brother wolfgang- with so many assholes around he'd probably stroke out

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:37 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

You mind your own business when you find out an acquaintance is cheating on his wife. You don't mind your own business when somebody's fraud affects you. I agree with whoever said above that OP would be hugely beta in ignoring this offense.

Moreover, if I were one of sleaze-bag's recommenders, I'd be pretty fucking pissed if I found out sleaze-bag used me to perpetuate a fraud. I'd call up every law school he applied to to let them know. Why? Because fuck him that's why.

Slightly OT Rant: My family is from Bangladesh. I spent the first several years of my life there. We left Bangladesh because it sucks. One of the reasons it sucks is because the country has a culture of opportunism. Cheating is common place and everyone looks the other way. One of the things that is amazing about the U.S. is that people mostly do the right thing even when nobody is looking. And that's huge. That's the difference between a successful civilization and an unsuccessful one (see e.g. Greece). People like sleaze-bag threaten the very thing that makes the America great.

timetoleave

New

Post by timetoleave » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:37 pm

Best way for one to learn, teach them a lesson. If someone keeps sticking their head in the fire without consequences, it will continue. If they stick their head in an come out hairless and blind, they won't do it again.

That being said, confront and give she/he a chance to come clean. Otherwise, go for the jugular

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”