Someone claiming my position in activity on application? Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
katesearches

New

Someone claiming my position in activity on application?

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:49 pm

I was president of a club during college, along with some other activities. I know someone who is applying during my same cycle, who is actually claiming he was president during the two years I was there and more (I saw this on his LinkedIn profile). Truth? he was an on-and-off member who didn't really do much.

When I first heard, I didn't really care -this so blatantly false I couldn't even take it seriously.
Then, I recently heard him say something during our Prep class... he apparently asked some of his recommenders to include his position/activities in the letter. During office hours, he would frequently bring up the activities he was "involved" in to them, so I guess his recommenders didn't doubt his actual position. He also boasted about how he'd never get caught/law school admsisions would believe him since his recommenders talked about it in the letter.
(I don't know what extent they "talked" about it - could be a laundry list like "John Smith shows leadership skills as seen in his participation in X,Y,Z).

But then I started to wonder about how this would impact me? What if the same person is reading both his and my application? Would I be screwed over? I don't think any of my LORs talk about my position in activities on campus. One LOR is from this volunteer organization (completely unrelated) and I'm pretty sure they talked specifically/solely about my involvement with that organization (I did give them my entire resume, but since they're not involved with my school activities, I highly doubt they wrote about it). Another LOR is from a T.A. - he let me skim the LOR for a school-specific letter just to make sure of some of the facts, and he specifically focused on my academic performance during that class. Another LOR is from a professor, and although they had my resume, I highly doubt they talked about my school activities, since I didn't specifically ask them to include it.

So am I screwed over? I know a lot of law schools don't do interviews (so I wouldn't have the chance to explain any potential discrepancies like this). What should I do, any advice? I guess my concern is that admissions people would see both of our applications, see that John Smith's recommenders mention it in his letter, and give weight to his, rather than mine.

BVest

Platinum

Re: Someone claiming my position in activity on application?

Post by BVest » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:04 pm

Do you have a good relationship with the faculty adviser for the club? If so, get them to write you a rec that references your strong leadership. Problem solved.
Last edited by BVest on Sat Jan 27, 2018 6:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:07 pm

BVest wrote:Do you have a good relationship with the faculty adviser for the club? If so, get them to write you a rec that references your strong leadership. Problem solved.
No I don't :(

Our school had a system where a faculty adviser was mandatory, and our department assigned one to us when the current one left/when we petitioned the department for a new faculty advisor.

Problem was this person was having some problems with the dept. (ultimately ended up being forced out).. he disliked the extra burden of advising us/we never got along. Fortunately, he was more of a figure head for offficial paperwork, but we never had to rely him for the club to function.

I also have my LORs... even if I could get the faculty advisor to write something about my leadership, it wouldn't say anything abuot my academic strengths/skills (that the other LORs focus on) plus I barely knew this guy

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:12 pm

Wouldn't worry about it. Doubt they read applications that closely, and even if they did notice a discrepancy, they might just think you're co-presidents.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Is there no tactful way for OP to out this awful person to schools, LSAC, or C&F? Maybe confront him in person?

We'd have one fewer budding sleazebag lawyer out there.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 pm

North wrote:Is there no tactful way for OP to out this awful person to schools, LSAC, or C&F? Maybe confront him in person?

One fewer budding sleazebag lawyer out there.
Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.

AreJay711

Gold

Post by AreJay711 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:36 pm

Shake that motherfucker down.

tc22

New

Post by tc22 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:41 pm

From this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=187070
andreasmommy wrote:I know people lie on their resume and CV because this girl I went to college with posted she was president of SAC club. I laughed so hard. I was president of that club, and I was also the founder.

People like that may get caught. And she will get caught if she applies to the same law schools as me because two of my letters of recs. talk about all the clubs I was president of.
Is this the boasting you speak of?
Last edited by tc22 on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:42 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
North wrote:Is there no tactful way for OP to out this awful person to schools, LSAC, or C&F? Maybe confront him in person?

One fewer budding sleazebag lawyer out there.
Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
I'm confused by the hostility. OP knows a guy is lying on a law school app and that lie could hurt OP's application. That sounds like his business.
Last edited by North on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
When the asshole started causing potential problems for the OP, he made it the OPs business. If the OP wanted to out him, I wouldn't blame them. Besides, if minding your own business is your mantra, why are you minding the OP's?

JDizzle2015

Silver

Post by JDizzle2015 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:44 pm

tc22 wrote:From this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=187070
andreasmommy wrote:I know people lie on their resume and CV because this girl I went to college with posted she was president of SAC club. I laughed so hard. I was president of that club, and I was also the founder.

People like that may get caught. And she will get caught if she applies to the same law schools as me because two of my letters of recs. talk about all the clubs I was president of.
Maybe a weak, but semi-elaborate trolling attempt.

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

cinephile wrote:Wouldn't worry about it. Doubt they read applications that closely, and even if they did notice a discrepancy, they might just think you're co-presidents.
+1. Or you could just not list it. No one's going to really care you were president of some club.

dudeimsocool

New

Post by dudeimsocool » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:46 pm

do it
Last edited by dudeimsocool on Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:47 pm

ookoshi wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
When the asshole started causing potential problems for the OP, he made it the OPs business. If the OP wanted to out him, I wouldn't blame them. Besides, if minding your own business is your mantra, why are you minding the OP's?
cause op asked a question and wanted advice?

aca0260

Bronze

Post by aca0260 » Tue Jun 19, 2012 7:52 pm

OP - this is basic shit. Confront the liar in person. He will never feel comfortable writing it on anything again with the fear in the back of his mind that he'll be caught. Emphasize that you will be reporting this to his recommenders.

How ballsy is this guy for putting it on his linkedin and talking about in the same prep class you take. Cavalier i'd say.

North

Gold

Post by North » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:04 pm

aca0260 wrote:OP - this is basic shit. Confront the liar in person. He will never feel comfortable writing it on anything again with the fear in the back of his mind that he'll be caught. Emphasize that you will be reporting this to his recommenders.

How ballsy is this guy for putting it on his linkedin and talking about in the same prep class you take. Cavalier i'd say.
Do this.
Elston Gunn wrote:
cinephile wrote:Wouldn't worry about it. Doubt they read applications that closely, and even if they did notice a discrepancy, they might just think you're co-presidents.
+1. Or you could just not list it. No one's going to really care you were president of some club.
Not this.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:11 pm

tc22 wrote:From this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 2&t=187070

I was thinking the same thing

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 pm

Bildungsroman wrote: Why would you out this person? Mind your own business. Sleazebag lawyers aren't nearly as serious a societal problem as nosy assholes getting in everyone else's business.
AreJay711 wrote:Shake that motherfucker down.
Both good answers.

Gail

Silver

Post by Gail » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:51 pm

We'd have one fewer budding sleazebag lawyer out there.
lol. who is C&F? Character and fitness isn't some all knowing being

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:56 pm

Thanks for the posts.

About the other thread link - similar, but different situation. Not too surprised about people asking profs to talk about their involvement in leadership positions. Actually, it was reading the post in that thread that got me worrying/wondering, "hey, what if the admissions members interprets MY situation the same way?"

I don't want to out or snitch him out, but I am worried about how/if this would hurt my application. I think I will confront the guy after Prep class, have a quiet talk. Ask him to correctly state his involvement in the club / give him the chance to remedy the problem. I'll just basically let him know I know what's up, and it's not riding well with me, since it may raise eyebrows/cause me problems during the application cycle

Elston Gunn

Gold

Post by Elston Gunn » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:58 pm

North wrote:
aca0260 wrote:OP - this is basic shit. Confront the liar in person. He will never feel comfortable writing it on anything again with the fear in the back of his mind that he'll be caught. Emphasize that you will be reporting this to his recommenders.

Do this.
Elston Gunn wrote:
Not this.
Fair. If it makes you angry, or if you think the club is really impressive, there's no reason not to confront the asshole. My point is just that you don't need to be worried. If you leave it on, they probably won't notice any issue. If they do, they will probably assume you're copresidents. If you're still worried, and don't want to confront/confronting doesn't work, you can leave it off, sleep better at night, and very likely have the exact same admissions outcome.

It's a shitty situation, but in terms of real world effects, it's a very very small thing.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 pm

Noted. Im confronting him after class tomorrow.

Question is, when would I know if I should/shouldn't report to his recommenders?

I'd prefer NOT to out or report anyone, and would only do it to prevent possible problems for me (since I KNOW he is lying/claiming my position, i feel that I do have some responsibility to protect myself).

Would it be enough if I tell him that it's possible I may report him? The only thing is that he might say to my face that he'll correct this, but keep it on his application

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:01 pm

ookoshi wrote:
HURRR DURRRRRR

Ded Precedent

Silver

Post by Ded Precedent » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:05 pm

Cock suckers like this guy annoy me. I would definitely confront him.

mattviphky

Silver

Post by mattviphky » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:06 pm

i bet if op asked if being the president of a club would be beneficial for admissions, no one would even say that it makes any difference.

EDIT If I was in your position, I probably wouldn't say anything, or I would just ask the guy about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”