Need help with URM

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
abtky

Need help with URM

Postby abtky » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:12 pm

I finally made an account on here to get advice from you all concerning URM status. I am part Caucasian and part Cherokee Indian. While I am a card holding member of the Cherokee Indian tribe and do consider myself to be of that history and people group I only speak English and have been raised by parents that don't place a large amount of emphasis on this heritage.

While looking through countless posts I cannot find whether or not it would be beneficial to mark my application as 'URM' or if this would be frowned upon since I look the same as any white/Caucasian individual.

Any advice is welcome, much like everyone else I am applying for tier 1 law schools and want to take advantage of all my assets as much as anyone else does.

Nova

Re: Need help with URM

Postby Nova » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:25 pm

abtky wrote:I finally made an account on here to get advice from you all concerning URM status. I am part Caucasian and part Cherokee Indian. While I am a card holding member of the Cherokee Indian tribe and do consider myself to be of that history and people group I only speak English and have been raised by parents that don't place a large amount of emphasis on this heritage.

While looking through countless posts I cannot find whether or not it would be beneficial to mark my application as 'URM' or if this would be frowned upon since I look the same as any white/Caucasian individual.

Any advice is welcome, much like everyone else I am applying for tier 1 law schools and want to take advantage of all my assets as much as anyone else does.

Check the box.

clee33

Postby clee33 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:39 pm

Absolutely check the box.

JamMasterJ

Postby JamMasterJ » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:45 pm

absolutely yes. My friend just got Harvard with 165/4.0, and although she's "more NA" than you, it really doesn't matter. Let's be honest: schools look for URMs b/c it makes them look diverse. As long as you fulfill the requirements of being URM, it doesn't matter.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”