reapplying in a new cycle...use same reccomendations?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
radar714

reapplying in a new cycle...use same reccomendations?

Postby radar714 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 3:56 pm

I'm reapplying in this upcoming cycle. My recs were received in January during the last cycle, and I plan on reapplying to only one school from my previous cycle. Should I ask my reccomenders to send in new/updated recs even though there wont really be anything new to say? All they could really change is the date that they wrote on the letter and maybe add one sentence that says "Now that (BLANK) is reapplying..."

anyone have experience with this?

Re: reapplying in a new cycle...use same reccomendations?

Postby 2014 » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:34 pm

Just use them as is. Ideally you would be able to maybe sub out your weakest one for one from an employer or professor who oversaw you in the year since you got your last ones, but that probably isn't necessary.

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:38 pm

radar714 wrote:I'm reapplying in this upcoming cycle. My recs were received in January during the last cycle, and I plan on reapplying to only one school from my previous cycle. Should I ask my reccomenders to send in new/updated recs even though there wont really be anything new to say? All they could really change is the date that they wrote on the letter and maybe add one sentence that says "Now that (BLANK) is reapplying..."

I'm not sure what most people would do, but I asked my recommenders to write new LORs simply because I had accomplished other things that I wanted them to mention in the in between time.

But, if you have nothing new to add then maybe not? Did you do targeted letters at all? Sometimes those help. Also, surely there is something new that you could add to your resume/LORs. Work experience? Awards at the end of the semester? Volunteer work over the summer?

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 am

All they could really change is the date that they wrote on the letter and maybe add one sentence that says "Now that (BLANK) is reapplying..."

If that's all that they'll change, and there's only overlap between your two application cycles at one school, I wouldn't bother with new recommendations. Many, many people apply every year with LoRs from previous years (they didn't do as well on the LSAT as they had hoped, they had a family/personal issue, etc...), and the 'old' LoRs didn't really affect them.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”