School offered me a deferral option...can I decline?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
dante18
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:51 am

School offered me a deferral option...can I decline?

Postby dante18 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:04 am

I received an email today from the law school where I already have made my seat deposit asking me to defer until next year, and they will increase my scholarship. I'm assuming that they have more people deposited than space available. I have several questions. I am below both of my schools 25% and I am a urm, does this mean that since I'm near the bottom numbers wise that the school is trying to push me out?

I have already signed a lease, quit my job and pretty much uprooted my life to attend this school. Also, age is a factor in this too. The scholarship increase is another 10k/yr. I have until monday to let them know my decision. Can I tell the dean of admission that I can't really defer or are they more or less forcing my hand(e.g if i don't defer will the revoke my acceptance? Does anybody have an experience with this sort of thing?

User avatar
piccolittle
Posts: 1118
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Re: School offered me a deferral option...can I decline?

Postby piccolittle » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:07 am

No, they won't revoke your acceptance. They have probably offered that option to a lot of people as an incentive to balance out the class enrollments. Think over-sold plane, airline offers a night in a hotel and vouchers to the people who are willing to take a later one. Same principle, they are looking for people who would rather take more money over starting a year earlier. Don't worry, seriously - and have fun at school :)

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: School offered me a deferral option...can I decline?

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:09 am

dante18 wrote:I received an email today from the law school where I already have made my seat deposit asking me to defer until next year, and they will increase my scholarship. I'm assuming that they have more people deposited than space available. I have several questions. I am below both of my schools 25% and I am a urm, does this mean that since I'm near the bottom numbers wise that the school is trying to push me out?

I have already signed a lease, quit my job and pretty much uprooted my life to attend this school. Also, age is a factor in this too. The scholarship increase is another 10k/yr. I have until monday to let them know my decision. Can I tell the dean of admission that I can't really defer or are they more or less forcing my hand(e.g if i don't defer will the revoke my acceptance? Does anybody have an experience with this sort of thing?


You're fine. Schools do this all of the time. You either decide that $30,000 is advantageous for you or you start in the Fall. Your choice. No need to stress.




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 9 guests