Is it worth it...gpa addendum?

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alphbetsoup34

Is it worth it...gpa addendum?

Postby alphbetsoup34 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 8:43 am

I have a great LSAT score at 170. Going to retake for hopefully a 173.
I have a GPA of 2.8. YIKES.

I am wondering if it is worth submitting a gpa addendum...
I was raped my first year of college. Fell into depression. Was unable to take the time and focus on my problems until after graduation where I've take 5 years off.

Do they really look at these? Would it even make a difference? And is my case one where it would be beneficial?

Nova

Re: Is it worth it...gpa addendum?

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:27 am

It goes without saying, that is something no one should ever have to go through, and its understandable that it greatly impacted your performance. This is certainly a legit reason to write a GPA addendum. When writing it, I would suggest addressing what happened, how it affected you psychologically , how you have over come the trauma (the best you can), and how you are excited to have a fresh start to fully apply yourself and make the grades you know you are capable of.

This addendum is much more appropriate than the typical, "partied hard my first two years" addendum. No matter what, law schools will have to report your GPA for ranking purposes, but I believe your addendum could easily be the tie breaker between you and other similar splitters.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:32 am

alphbetsoup34 wrote:I have a great LSAT score at 170. Going to retake for hopefully a 173.

I was raped my first year of college. Fell into depression. Was unable to take the time and focus on my problems until after graduation where I've take 5 years off.

Do they really look at these? Would it even make a difference? And is my case one where it would be beneficial?

I think a GPA addendum helped me erase one bad semester. I had a 3.4, but I had one terrible semester during a period where my gf (now wife) was suffering from PTSD. I think my addendum made schools look at me more like a 3.6.

Writing the addendum is the hard part. It has to be fairly matter of fact. It cannot be a pity plea. It cannot be an excuse. Think of it more like arguing your case, you are trying to tell admissions officers that the 2.8 that they see on paper is not a representation of you. To best do that you need to have an alternative version of you that you can sell. After pointing out that your GPA doesn't represent you, suggest that your successful career post-graduation is more representative as you had the time to get help and recover. Some comparison makes the story more compelling.

bp shinners

Postby bp shinners » Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:54 pm

alphbetsoup34 wrote:I have a great LSAT score at 170. Going to retake for hopefully a 173.

First off, it's horrible that you were forced to go through that, and I hope that you've dealt with the depression.

As far as the addendum goes, this is a situation where you could write something very impactful that will make a difference in admissions. However, you have to make sure that it is absolutely crystal clear that you've dealt with the issues surrounding the assault and are no longer carrying that around with you. I've worked with several people in similar situations, and it took many, many drafts of their essays to get the right tone. Law school is stressful, and it can trigger latent mental health issues. Make sure that you convey all you've done to deal with those issues in the addendum.

I would also strongly recommend having several other people you trust read the essay to make sure that you convey the proper attitude. A single, errant word can create problems in an essay this sensitive.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”