"People who go to law school don't get a job"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?


--LinkRemoved--

Non-discounted cost of everything with interest is $123,522 including interest when your first loan payment is due.


Why wouldn't you pay interest when it starts?


Because it starts while you are in school....

User avatar
alwayssunnyinfl
Posts: 4100
Joined: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:34 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

I'm a poor, I won't have those luxuries, and thank god for that. I'll actually be able to send my kids to college

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:13 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
realizing she used her parents' hard earned money to work in shitlaw/doc review?


I know one of the firms has local prestige. I don't know the other firm.

I do enjoy your concern for someone that you don't know though. Carry on.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:14 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:I spend about $750 a month on food. I really don't see that changing

holy shitballs. where do you live? That's almost as much as my rent.

new orleans.

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:16 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:I spend about $750 a month on food. I really don't see that changing

holy shitballs. where do you live? That's almost as much as my rent.

new orleans.



It's pretty hard to keep food expenses cheap there when there is just so much damn good food.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:16 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
laxbrah420 wrote:I spend about $750 a month on food. I really don't see that changing

holy shitballs. where do you live? That's almost as much as my rent.

new orleans.

damn, bro. you could really cut that in half and eat pretty damn good still.
Do you eat out for every meal?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:17 pm

katesearches wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:Fruits, vegetables, pasta, and bread is pretty damn cheap bro.


oh yeah, I forgot to add in "etc" after all that, but seriously $75 a week can buy you a lot of stuff, including a few steaks a month. I'm on a diet right now, so fruits & vegetables, blueberries, salads, etc are the first things that popped up in my mind


Salmon is like $5 for like a 3-4 pack at Walmart. I shop all over as I like to get certain things at certain places. But you can get veggies at Walmart for cheap. I would get specialty sauces and whatnot elsewhere, but I don't know why food costs have to be so high. Most apts., depending on region, offer amenities too. I chose one that had those extras so I wouldn't want to spend money on a gym and so on. Plus, outside workouts are free.

I've also bought steaks at Walmart and I'd put them up against other grocery stores. Just look for items on sale. If I wanted a specialty piece of meat/poultry stuffed with something, then sure, buy that. Don't avoid feeling like a normal person, but on avg., grocery costs can be kept in check.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:18 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:It's pretty hard to keep food expenses cheap there when there is just so much damn good food.

I alternate between 3 places: Cains, Whole Foods prepared shit, and Felipes :lol: :oops:

yea pancakes --I need to cook more

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:18 pm

spleenworship wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?


--LinkRemoved--

Non-discounted cost of everything with interest is $123,522 including interest when your first loan payment is due.


Why wouldn't you pay interest when it starts?


Because it starts while you are in school....


Yes, but if you know you're going to law school, you should have monies saved or you should ask parents to pony up the interest costs. This is a given.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:20 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:We were talking about if UGA was reasonable to pay. I think that amount is reasonable to pay. You may not think so. I wouldn't wait to pay compounding interest. That was not the discussion though. Transportation costs would be low as you would only be going to class and your home. Maybe a few trips away, but overall a low amount. Or at least, it should. This will depend on your circumstance though. Books are reasonable if you buy them "cheap." And they're just an assumed cost. It's not like it's an extra cost.


No, the question wasn't "is it worth it?" the question is "Is this person dumb for being willing to plunk down 100K+ without researching job prospects?"


Without knowing her family situation, this shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Without knowing her family situation, this shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.


flem wrote:She's loan-financing everything.


RC FAIL

BearsGrl is a fucking retard

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:22 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: you should have monies saved or you should ask parents to pony up the interest costs. This is a given.


Assuming these things "are a given" is an assumption


Agreed. But tacking on interest immediately is also an assumption. :D I know this is something my parents brought up immediately.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:24 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Without knowing her family situation, this shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.


flem wrote:She's loan-financing everything.


RC FAIL


I'm loan-financing and I will be ok on the money side long-term. Loan-financing doesn't mean that you absolutely need the money. It means that you absolutely need it right now.

Once again, without knowing her family situation, loan-financing means squat.

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:25 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Without knowing her family situation, this shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.


flem wrote:She's loan-financing everything.


RC FAIL


I'm loan-financing and I will be ok on the money side long-term. Loan-financing doesn't mean that you absolutely need the money. It means that you absolutely need it right now.

Once again, without knowing her family situation, loan-financing means squat.


BECAUSE BEARSGRL'S INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO IS YIELDING TSO MUCH RIGHT NOW :roll:

User avatar
Band A Long
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:50 am

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby Band A Long » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm

Image

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Ruxin1 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Without knowing her family situation, this shouldn't even be a topic of discussion.


flem wrote:She's loan-financing everything.


RC FAIL


I'm loan-financing and I will be ok on the money side long-term. Loan-financing doesn't mean that you absolutely need the money. It means that you absolutely need it right now.

Once again, without knowing her family situation, loan-financing means squat.


BECAUSE BEARSGRL'S INVESTMENT PORTFOLIO IS YIELDING TSO MUCH RIGHT NOW :roll:


Why would people sell real estate investments right now? That makes absolutely no sense.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby cinephile » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:27 pm

Birdnals wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
Honestly, I really do think you can go pretty damn cheap when it comes to food. The problem is, most Americans don't want toIt is impossible to eat reasonably healthy for cheap .

ftfy


I too only spend $150 on groceries. A whole chicken's not that expensive, certainly much cheaper than just buying de-skinned, de-boned breasts. Make a roast with vegetables (sweet potato, butternut squash, zucchini), add some rice stuffing and salad, and you can have that several days in a row (or all week). Also did a lot of making giant pots of soup/stew for the week. Healthy and affordable.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

cinephile wrote:
Birdnals wrote:
RedBirds2011 wrote:
Honestly, I really do think you can go pretty damn cheap when it comes to food. The problem is, most Americans don't want toIt is impossible to eat reasonably healthy for cheap .

ftfy


I too only spend $150 on groceries. A whole chicken's not that expensive, certainly much cheaper than just buying de-skinned, de-boned breasts. Make a roast with vegetables (sweet potato, butternut squash, zucchini), add some rice stuffing and salad, and you can have that several days in a row (or all week). Also did a lot of making giant pots of soup/stew for the week. Healthy and affordable.

this is what I do a lot of the time also.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:28 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I'm loan-financing and I will be ok on the money side long-term. Loan-financing doesn't mean that you absolutely need the money. It means that you absolutely need it right now.

Once again, without knowing her family situation, loan-financing means squat.


What does her family situation have to do with anything? Whoever is making the investment doesn't even really matter, it's the fact that she's willing to make it herself OR have someone make it for her without even so much as researching her likely outcome.


I'm saying that if she wants to work in GA, then going to UGA is a good option. GA has low costs of living overall and so loan repayment isn't going to be as much of an issue, even if she gets a non-law-related job. That's my point.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:30 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Why would people sell real estate investments right now? That makes absolutely no sense.


It's an assumption to assume someone's investment portfolio only includes real estate


It's an assumption to assume that I would care about other investment options other than real estate. Why would anyone touch long-term investments? That makes no sense too.

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:31 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I'm saying that if she wants to work in GA, then going to UGA is a good option. GA has low costs of living overall and so loan repayment isn't going to be as much of an issue, even if she gets a non-law-related job. That's my point.


Your point of contention is not what I'm taking issue with. It's her nonchalance regarding this investment as insignificant.


Understood. However, you ultimately shouldn't care about her decision either way.

User avatar
Mr. Pancakes
Posts: 1234
Joined: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:11 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:32 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Why would people sell real estate investments right now? That makes absolutely no sense.


It's an assumption to assume someone's investment portfolio only includes real estate


It's an assumption to assume that I would care about other investment options other than real estate. Why would anyone touch long-term investments? That makes no sense too.

This is how I felt when I read this.
Image

User avatar
RedBirds2011
Posts: 623
Joined: Wed Nov 02, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:33 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Why would people sell real estate investments right now? That makes absolutely no sense.


It's an assumption to assume someone's investment portfolio only includes real estate


It's an assumption to assume that I would care about other investment options other than real estate. Why would anyone touch long-term investments? That makes no sense too.



WAT?

BearsGrl
Posts: 1660
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:40 pm

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:34 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Understood. However, you ultimately shouldn't care about her decision either way.


I don't care, I was using her to illustrate an example of how ill-informed your average law school consumer is.

BearsGrl wrote:It's an assumption to assume that I would care about other investment options other than real estate. Why would anyone touch long-term investments? That makes no sense too.


brb investing all of my 401K and IRA into a SPS housing market. THANKS FOR THE INVESTMENT TIP.


I never argued that contention. That's been my whole point. That's why I said that TLS could have more reach than it does.

No, I'm just saying that it's easy to liquidate real estate for a large chunk of change. You always leave long-term investments in and don't touch them. But whatever floats your boat, dude.

User avatar
laxbrah420
Posts: 2748
Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 1:53 am

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:35 pm

tflem brah, since you dont know her life story, it is impossible for you to determine whether or not attending a professional school without researching its job placement is a good idea. And also, brah, stop touching other long term investments




Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: smile0751, TriSapien and 9 guests