"People who go to law school don't get a job"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:33 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

What do you mean "take classes"?

There are multiple definitions of taking classes? Uh, ok.

Yes, there are. Taking classes... instead of graduating to bring her ridiculously high GPA up even higher? Taking classes to get a better LSAT score? Taking classes, as in going to law school instead of taking a job? All of these are very different realities.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:35 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Who cares. State law schools are cheap.

In state tuition plus living expenses is 100K+ plus interest.

UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:36 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Anyone who applies to law school without googling "law school" gets what they deserve.

Yup

Relevant: I was talking to a girl I work with who is about to start in the fall at UGA. Making small talk, I said the new employment stats looked good. She replies with "Really? That's good, I haven't done much research regarding employment".

She's loan-financing everything.

People underestimate how willfully uninformed many law students are, especially those that are at the state schools and below.

Who cares. State law schools are cheap.

Not true. Evidence: entire UC system.

Getting my Masters in CA was ridiculously cheap. It was everything else that bumped it up.

In terms of law school, it depends on the school, but you have more schools asking for private institution type monies. I blame that on CA not knowing how to run itself as a whole.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:Non 0Ls should be working right now. Not sure why they're hanging out on a TLS forum.

Why aren't you working? Why are you always the only one allowed to be on TLS?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:37 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?

Come on, girl, you can do math. 15,000*3 + 25000*3 = 120000 + interest

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:38 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:
Nova wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: If by biggest, you mean no one knows about it, then ok. I love what the site was supposed to represent. I randomly came across it months ago, but I know of no one except maybe one other person that knew about this site.

If you search "law school" on google, TLS is on the first page.... Its really not that random for anyone actually looking.

Google ranks based on your history brah

Valid point. I just neurotically went to another computer in my office and googled law school. Its still on the first page.

:shock:

Suprised my post about impressing lay UG hunnies turned into a debate about the dilution of TLS.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 pm

BearsGrl wrote:

Getting my Masters in CA was ridiculously cheap. It was everything else that bumped it up.

In terms of law school, it depends on the school, but you have more schools asking for private institution type monies. I blame that on CA not knowing how to run itself as a whole.

I don't know why you hate on California as if it's some liberal bastion of everything expensive. UVA and U Michigan are also ridiculously expensive at sticker.

HBBJohnStamos

Postby HBBJohnStamos » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:39 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

If your living expenses come to 25,000, you're doing it wrong. I think her point was that tuition + LE = 25,000 (which is still probably lowballing it, TBH)

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:40 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

To defend Bearsgrl for a moment, I think she meant 25k*3 = 75k

Though, living off 9k a year is stretching it.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Didn't you say that you lived in SF? Why would you be applying to UM anyways? Do you not live in SF now?

No, I moved back to Florida once I realized that community college in California is four times the price of a university in Florida. Even living in Miami, I wouldn't apply to UM. The stories those 3Ls tell are terrifying.

I liked UM's campus when I was there. I just didn't like Miami. At least Miami-proper. I think UM is pricey though so yes, I can understand your reservations. It also has two nearby "competitive schools", even if you don't consider them competitive. Like I said, major markets don't "excite" me. Plus, paying to go to the beach in certain prices in FL is atrocious! Clearwater was the most $$$. And the most touristy. I love the Southern Gulf Coast though. Nicest people. Best beaches. Even folks on the EC say that GC-side is more pretty. EC of FL is East Coast and Gulf side is Midwest and everything else.

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:42 pm

I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:43 pm

Birdnals wrote:I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.

Oklahoma

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Birdnals wrote:I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.

Oklahoma

Do you really think so? Even if rent was dirt cheap, say 200 a month, you still have to think eating every meal at home is going to be 100 a week. Add cell phone bill/ internet/ cost of books/ health insurance/ electric/water/gas/transportation? I have to imagine 1K a month wouldn’t cut it.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:45 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

What do you mean "take classes"?

There are multiple definitions of taking classes? Uh, ok.

Yes, there are. Taking classes... instead of graduating to bring her ridiculously high GPA up even higher? Taking classes to get a better LSAT score? Taking classes, as in going to law school instead of taking a job? All of these are very different realities.

I stated up, implied, that she was at a decent school (good for the state it's in) so it should be implied that she is taking Summer classes at law school in lieu of working at either of the jobs that she was offered. Money is also less of a concern for her, but either way, she is going the class route instead of working and she had offers in our local market.

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 pm

flem wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:Oklahoma

I request Birdnals to rephrase the question to reflect "places anyone would actually want to live"

Louisiana can be pretty cheap

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:46 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I liked UM's campus when I was there. I just didn't like Miami. At least Miami-proper. I think UM is pricey though so yes, I can understand your reservations. It also has two nearby "competitive schools", even if you don't consider them competitive. Like I said, major markets don't "excite" me. Plus, paying to go to the beach in certain prices in FL is atrocious! Clearwater was the most $$$. And the most touristy. I love the Southern Gulf Coast though. Nicest people. Best beaches. Even folks on the EC say that GC-side is more pretty. EC of FL is East Coast and Gulf side is Midwest and everything else.

As a Sarasota native, I resent this statement... because it's true. And if you're paying to go to the beach, you're doing it wrong.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:47 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I stated up, implied, that she was at a decent school (good for the state it's in) so it should be implied that she is taking Summer classes at law school in lieu of working at either of the jobs that she was offered. Money is also less of a concern for her, but either way, she is going the class route instead of working and she had offers in our local market.

That sounds like she made a TERRIBLE decision. Also, you've trained us to reflexively never assume anything about your statements. That's your own fault.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

You have no idea do you?

So.... 15K a year for tuition + 20K a year for books, supplies, and living expenses = ~$100K. (and yes, living expenses and such really is that high- $800 a month for an apartment + $400 a month for food, gas and sundries + a little left over for books and maybe a little entertainment.... you do the math)

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:48 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Non 0Ls should be working right now. Not sure why they're hanging out on a TLS forum.

I'm not looking for full-time employment. I have a job, but it's limited in scope right now and it works well for now since I'll be moving in the next month and a half or so. When I do work, I have no time to be on sites like this though. And working doesn't mean only employment. It means doing something that is not posting on a site. I would think that if the legal economy is so rough, you would be out volunteering and meeting people in the flesh, but that's just me.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:49 pm

--ImageRemoved--

What this thread makes me feel like. Anyway, I've gotta get one the road. You guys have fun.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:50 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?

--LinkRemoved--

Non-discounted cost of everything with interest is $123,522 including interest when your first loan payment is due.

Why wouldn't you pay interest when it starts?

RedBirds2011

Postby RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:51 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I stated up, implied, that she was at a decent school (good for the state it's in) so it should be implied that she is taking Summer classes at law school in lieu of working at either of the jobs that she was offered. Money is also less of a concern for her, but either way, she is going the class route instead of working and she had offers in our local market.

That sounds like she made a TERRIBLE decision. Also, you've trained us to reflexively never assume anything about your statements. That's your own fault.

:lol:

Birdnals

Postby Birdnals » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:52 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?

--LinkRemoved--

Non-discounted cost of everything with interest is $123,522 including interest when your first loan payment is due.

Why wouldn't you pay interest when it starts?

DON'T YOU HAVE ANY MONEY?!

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:53 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Ludovico Technique wrote:

I'm not looking for full-time employment. I have a job, but it's limited in scope right now and it works well for now since I'll be moving in the next month and a half or so. When I do work, I have no time to be on sites like this though. And working doesn't mean only employment. It means doing something that is not posting on a site. I would think that if the legal economy is so rough, you would be out volunteering and meeting people in the flesh, but that's just me.

I have a job thanks and it's awesome. It also involves waiting around time :)

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:54 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

$16,000 + 15,000 for living expenses per year is $31,000 a year. If you can't make it by with that, then your budget is just overkill. I'm giving $10,000 for living expenses (rent only). Even if you go over that and go up to $35,000, that's not a bad rate. You would be incurring these costs anyways.

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”