"People who go to law school don't get a job"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
BearsGrl

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:12 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:That's my point. It has a monopoly on this niche and it could be a better outlet.

And my point is the anonymity of the internet means the good will always come with the bad in a place like this.

But my point that is when bad dominates the good, that's not good. I think it depends on what people want from this site. If people want an avenue to vent, then ok. If people want supplemental advice, then ok. If people want general job advice, ok but nothing that would surprise you. But c'mon, there is a ridiculously long thread about what to wear. Seriously.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:15 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:That's my point. It has a monopoly on this niche and it could be a better outlet.

And my point is the anonymity of the internet means the good will always come with the bad in a place like this.

But my point that is when bad dominates the good, that's not good. I think it depends on what people want from this site. If people want an avenue to vent, then ok. If people want supplemental advice, then ok. If people want general job advice, ok but nothing that would surprise you. But c'mon, there is a ridiculously long thread about what to wear. Seriously.

ITT: 0L complains that site run by law students isn't indicative of what a site run by law students should be.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:17 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:But my point that is when bad dominates the good, that's not good. I think it depends on what people want from this site. If people want an avenue to vent, then ok. If people want supplemental advice, then ok. If people want general job advice, ok but nothing that would surprise you. But c'mon, there is a ridiculously long thread about what to wear. Seriously.

There's a very meta-joke in here somewhere about you and how you ironically underestimate aspie-ness of law students but I'm too lazy

Because using the mentally challenged as a scapegoat is a cool thing to do?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

ITT: 0L complains that site run by law students isn't indicative of what a site run by law students should be.

Non 0Ls should be working right now. Not sure why they're hanging out on a TLS forum.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:18 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:But my point that is when bad dominates the good, that's not good. I think it depends on what people want from this site. If people want an avenue to vent, then ok. If people want supplemental advice, then ok. If people want general job advice, ok but nothing that would surprise you. But c'mon, there is a ridiculously long thread about what to wear. Seriously.

There's a very meta-joke in here somewhere about you and how you ironically underestimate aspie-ness of law students but I'm too lazy

Because using the mentally challenged as a scapegoat is a cool thing to do?

Have to say I might agree with you there.

Nova

Postby Nova » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:19 pm

BearsGrl wrote: If by biggest, you mean no one knows about it, then ok. I love what the site was supposed to represent. I randomly came across it months ago, but I know of no one except maybe one other person that knew about this site.

If you search "law school" on google, TLS is on the first page.... Its really not that random for anyone actually looking.

dowu

Postby dowu » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:21 pm

paratactical wrote:Hey BearsGrl, in what context have you worked with attorneys or how do you know them or whatever? Just wondering!

+1

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

Nova wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: If by biggest, you mean no one knows about it, then ok. I love what the site was supposed to represent. I randomly came across it months ago, but I know of no one except maybe one other person that knew about this site.

If you search "law school" on google, TLS is on the first page.... Its really not that random for anyone actually looking.

I don't disagree with that. I never said that it wasn't searchable. I just said that it wasn't a go-to site for folks when conversing with them. That's how I randomly found this site, but I know many, many people who did not.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:22 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Nova wrote:

I don't disagree with that. I never said that it wasn't searchable. I just said that it wasn't a go-to site for folks when conversing with them. That's how I randomly found this site, but I know many, many people who did not.

Anyone who applies to law school without googling "law school" gets what they deserve.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:23 pm

Nova wrote:

Google ranks based on your history brah

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm

Kate searchesd
Last edited by laxbrah420 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:25 pm

flem wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Anyone who applies to law school without googling "law school" gets what they deserve.

Yup

Relevant: I was talking to a girl I work with who is about to start in the fall at UGA. Making small talk, I said the new employment stats looked good. She replies with "Really? That's good, I haven't done much research regarding employment".

She's loan-financing everything.

People underestimate how willfully uninformed many law students are, especially those that are at the state schools and below.

She may not need to care if she has boobs

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

flem wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:Anyone who applies to law school without googling "law school" gets what they deserve.

Yup

Relevant: I was talking to a girl I work with who is about to start in the fall at UGA. Making small talk, I said the new employment stats looked good. She replies with "Really? That's good, I haven't done much research regarding employment".

People underestimate how willfully uninformed many law students are, especially those that are at the state schools and below.

I told a UMiami law student I would be overjoyed if I got into UVA, and he said "Really? Just go to UM. They're, like, peer schools." That's when I decided to stop telling people IRL that I'm applying to law school.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:26 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Nova wrote:

Anyone who applies to law school without googling "law school" gets what they deserve.

The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:27 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

wut

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:27 pm

BearsGrl wrote:The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

What do you mean "take classes"?

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

flem wrote:
polkij333 wrote:She may not need to care if she has boobs

516 at BEST, broheim

you know me, I always give the "at BEST"

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 pm

flem wrote:

Yup

Who cares. State law schools are cheap.

Ruxin1

Postby Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:29 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup

Opportunity Cost

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:29 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup

I told a UMiami law student I would be overjoyed if I got into UVA, and he said "Really? Just go to UM. They're, like, peer schools." That's when I decided to stop telling people IRL that I'm applying to law school.

Didn't you say that you lived in SF? Why would you be applying to UM anyways? Do you not live in SF now?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:30 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup

Not true. Evidence: entire UC system.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:The most recent person that I know, earned a 3.8 at a decent school and had a couple of job offers. She turned it down to take classes. Not knowing about this site doesn't mean you make wrong decisions.

What do you mean "take classes"?

There are multiple definitions of taking classes? Uh, ok.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:31 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
flem wrote:

Yup

if only :cry:

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Didn't you say that you lived in SF? Why would you be applying to UM anyways? Do you not live in SF now?

No, I moved back to Florida once I realized that community college in California is four times the price of a university in Florida. Even living in Miami, I wouldn't apply to UM. The stories those 3Ls tell are terrifying.

spleenworship

Postby spleenworship » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:32 pm

flem wrote:

Yup

Seriously, like half my classmates at my T2 have no idea what the state of legal employment is after 1L. A year they've been doing this and they all are like "stop worrying, we'll all get jobs! as long as you graduate you can get a job! C's get JDs!" Most of the rising 3Ls don't either. Only the ones graduating seem to realize that we only have a 75% full time JD required placement. And none seem to realize that for a school in our rank that's actually quite good.

ETA: and my state T2 is only cheap in comparison to the private schools charging $45K a year...

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”