"People who go to law school don't get a job"

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
alwayssunnyinfl

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:35 am

BearsGrl wrote:I'd beg to say that CA isn't really that special anyways. The sand isn't fun, the beaches aren't as pretty, the goods cost more, etc.. It's just a a personal preference, but hey, if you like high costs and high debt, by all means move/stay in CA. Props to you.

I'm with you that the rent is too damn high, but what are these goods of which you speak? Also, I'd gladly pay an extra $350/month to live in San Diego over Miami. Any day of the week.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:37 am

But seriously, BearsGrl, you movin' to New Hampshire?

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:39 am

BearsGrl wrote:
Nova wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Almost everybody I know who isn't well-versed about the current state of the legal profession is like "wow you're in law school you're going to be a gazillionaire all lawyers are rich derp derp derp."

I dont mind this at all, and actually consider it a perk. Impressing lay undergrad girls is one of my favorite things to do. :mrgreen:

Little do they know, Im going to be 100k in debt, and cry at night while clinging on to my Liberal Arts degree.

There is so much wrong in this statement. It's why I'm not surprised that TLS hasn't made it as a bigger forum. Frankly, it's responses like that, that will keep it from becoming more than what it already is.

Tls is already the biggest law school forum. How much bigger do you think it should be?

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:40 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Nova wrote:
MrPapagiorgio wrote:Almost everybody I know who isn't well-versed about the current state of the legal profession is like "wow you're in law school you're going to be a gazillionaire all lawyers are rich derp derp derp."

I dont mind this at all, and actually consider it a perk. Impressing lay undergrad girls is one of my favorite things to do. :mrgreen:

Little do they know, Im going to be 100k in debt, and cry at night while clinging on to my Liberal Arts degree.

There is so much wrong in this statement. It's why I'm not surprised that TLS hasn't made it as a bigger forum. Frankly, it's responses like that, that will keep it from becoming more than what it already is.

what do you think would cause allow TLS to reach a pinnacle?

Serious discussion instead of reddit/insert liberal blog where you post random photos (I'll edit this when I think of its name - it's escaping me right now, but it's an aggregate type site). Not quite Daily Kos level craziness.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:42 am

BearsGrl wrote: Serious discussion instead of reddit/insert liberal blog where you post random photos (I'll edit this when I think of its name - it's escaping me right now, but it's an aggregate type site). Not quite Daily Kos level craziness.

I actually agree with some of this.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:42 am

flem wrote:I'd pay $300 more a month in rent just to live in close proximity to an In n Out burger.

Five Guys over In N Out any day of the week. Apparently, Seattle or somewhere else in WA has the best burger joint. I only had In N out like twice when living in CA. And I'm not a vegan so it had nothing to do with that.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:45 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:I'd beg to say that CA isn't really that special anyways. The sand isn't fun, the beaches aren't as pretty, the goods cost more, etc.. It's just a a personal preference, but hey, if you like high costs and high debt, by all means move/stay in CA. Props to you.

I'm with you that the rent is too damn high, but what are these goods of which you speak? Also, I'd gladly pay an extra $350/month to live in San Diego over Miami. Any day of the week.

I'd agree with that, however that's only because Miami is more scary-looking than LA. I thought LA was dirty but Miami is worse. I'd never been to that side of the Coast before and wowsa. Coral Gables area was fine, but Miami definitely would scare me day in and day out.

Everything in CA costs most in general. If I wanted to go to a lake, it costs more. If I want gas, it costs more. If I want groceries, it costs more. Period. And the weather just wasn't worth the high price I paid when living there. I loved my work experience while there, but the personalities just weren't friendly. Much friendlier states out there. That's for sure. Plus, I wouldn't want to like any of the local LA teams. :D

laxbrah420

Postby laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:47 am

flem wrote:I'd pay $300 more a month in rent just to live in close proximity to an In n Out burger.

This is outrageous. Surely you can find a joint with $10 burgers that are vastly superior to anything a fast food company could produce

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:49 am

Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
Nova wrote:

Tls is already the biggest law school forum. How much bigger do you think it should be?

If by biggest, you mean no one knows about it, then ok. I love what the site was supposed to represent. I randomly came across it months ago, but I know of no one except maybe one other person that knew about this site. And I think some of that is due to a product, because of its clients, not representing something that you'd want to market out and about. I tell people occasionally about this site, but I'll say to only use it for X. This site could seriously be a good thing. It's own entity. As of right now, it is its own entity, but only because no one else has taken the time to create their own legal poster world. I truly do represent what its goal was. I just question whether it was achieved. When anything is open to the public, you morph it. That's all.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 am

laxbrah420 wrote:

This is outrageous. Surely you can find a joint with $10 burgers that are vastly superior to anything a fast food company could produce

The Seattle joint (there was some sort of survey done) is not a fast food chain, I believe.

I just dig Five Guy fries. Nothing fancy, but for a burger and fries meal, awesome.

Ludo!

Postby Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:51 am

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: Serious discussion instead of reddit/insert liberal blog where you post random photos (I'll edit this when I think of its name - it's escaping me right now, but it's an aggregate type site). Not quite Daily Kos level craziness.

That sounds terrible. There's already plenty of serious discussion. TLS' biggest problem when I first started posting was that there was a lot of great info about LSAT prep and admissions stuff and even a good amount of 1l success strategiesbut the amount of advice dropped off dramatically when it came to actually getting a job. Now I feel like there's a much bigger base of rising 3ls and new graduates and the legal employment info is much more solid. On a few years we could potentially have a lot more actual lawyers posting here. I think that the sense of humor gets people to stick around. It gets boring answering the same questions all the time and giving the same advice to each new cycle. The occasional hilarious BearsGrl thread is the reason I'm still posting here after so many of the people who joined tls when I did(08) have moved on

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 am

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I'd agree with that, however that's only because Miami is more scary-looking than LA. I thought LA was dirty but Miami is worse. I'd never been to that side of the Coast before and wowsa. Coral Gables area was fine, but Miami definitely would scare me day in and day out.

Everything in CA costs most in general. If I wanted to go to a lake, it costs more. If I want gas, it costs more. If I want groceries, it costs more. Period. And the weather just wasn't worth the high price I paid when living there. I loved my work experience while there, but the personalities just weren't friendly. Much friendlier states out there. That's for sure. Plus, I wouldn't want to like any of the local LA teams. :D

what are you thoughts on Kansas in general?

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 am

BearsGrl wrote:
If by biggest, you mean no one knows about it, then ok. I love what the site was supposed to represent. I randomly came across it months ago, but I know of no one except maybe one other person that knew about this site. And I think some of that is due to a product, because of its clients, not representing something that you'd want to market out and about. I tell people occasionally about this site, but I'll say to only use it for X. This site could seriously be a good thing. It's own entity. As of right now, it is its own entity, but only because no one else has taken the time to create their own legal poster world. I truly do represent what its goal was. I just question whether it was achieved. When anything is open to the public, you morph it. That's all.

For a grammar freak, this is pretty atrocious

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 am

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Five Guys over In N Out any day of the week. Apparently, Seattle or somewhere else in WA has the best burger joint. I only had In N out like twice when living in CA. And I'm not a vegan so it had nothing to do with that.

GTFO 5 Guys is TTT

laxbrah420 wrote:This is outrageous. Surely you can find a joint with $10 burgers that are vastly superior to anything a fast food company could produce

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

Part of it is definitely a nostalgia factor for me since I grew up on it. I romanticize it a bit, honestly. But it really is good.

If I have money to piss away and I'm not living in CA, I'm going to fly there, eat lunch there, and fly back the same day for the lulz.

Which is why no one should ever take your advice, bro. Plus, flights are $$$ lately.

abc12345675

Postby abc12345675 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:52 am

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:Five Guys over In N Out any day of the week. Apparently, Seattle or somewhere else in WA has the best burger joint. I only had In N out like twice when living in CA. And I'm not a vegan so it had nothing to do with that.

GTFO 5 Guys is TTT

laxbrah420 wrote:This is outrageous. Surely you can find a joint with $10 burgers that are vastly superior to anything a fast food company could produce

YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND

Part of it is definitely a nostalgia factor for me since I grew up on it. I romanticize it a bit, honestly. But it really is good.

If I have money to piss away and I'm not living in CA, I'm going to fly there, eat lunch there, and fly back the same day for the lulz.

You can get In-n-Out in Dallas now

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:53 am

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

For someone who doesn't like to talk to stupid lay people, you certainly do like to talk to stupid lay people a lot.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 11:54 am

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

For someone who doesn't like to talk to stupid lay people, you certainly do like to talk to stupid lay people a lot.

You're so much fun! Please don't leave TLS for so long next time

edit: because you love gifs

--ImageRemoved--

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:00 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:

That sounds terrible. There's already plenty of serious discussion. TLS' biggest problem when I first started posting was that there was a lot of great info about LSAT prep and admissions stuff and even a good amount of 1l success strategiesbut the amount of advice dropped off dramatically when it came to actually getting a job. Now I feel like there's a much bigger base of rising 3ls and new graduates and the legal employment info is much more solid. On a few years we could potentially have a lot more actual lawyers posting here. I think that the sense of humor gets people to stick around. It gets boring answering the same questions all the time and giving the same advice to each new cycle. The occasional hilarious BearsGrl thread is the reason I'm still posting here after so many of the people who joined tls when I did(08) have moved on

That's the problem though. TLS is full of regulars. Businesses need to grow. I don't think that the site originators were wrong or are wrong, but I just think the commentary from the posters has lessened and the input is more snarky. That's fine ...for regulars. It's not going to attract a new group. Most current students don't have a lot of extra time to spend on a site like this and so th5-10 ey'll skim or ask a question and then they'll get 5-10 snarky responses back.

I think that when it comes to the job search, there is more serious discussion. The person that told me about this site, after I had found it, was an attorney. But she didn't comment on it. She gave me a few books, said to pause on law school and said here is one site that she knew of. That's why I didn't enter the law school bubble years back.

I think part of the negative, but reality, is that this site exists during a time of more emotional vetting. Meaning people are more likely to talk about their negative experience if they are aware of this site because if you're working in the legal world, you're probably not too aware about it. Maybe your experience is different. I'm not sure if your 1L year, you had people talking about TLS in convos. Maybe they did. Who knows.

Mr. Pancakes

Postby Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:01 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

You're so much fun! Please don't leave TLS for so long next time

edit: because you love gifs

--ImageRemoved--

i fucking love this gif.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:02 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I'd actually say that downtown living in SD is doable. I researched it. For your living, it's manageable if you get a studio or more simplistic 1 bedroom. But I mean at the rental level, when you are paying double a mid-level market in other cities and nearly triple in some places in the Midwest, that's crazy. I know I paid nearly triple what I did at the UG level and my UG apt. was a nice complex.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:04 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

The anonymity of the internet will be a contributing factor, but beyond some regular blatant trolling there is a ton of good info on here regarding admissions, lsat prep and the job market. In fact, I would argue there's no OTHER website that combines that much info on all three topics.

That's my point. It has a monopoly on this niche and it could be a better outlet.

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:05 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I'd actually say that downtown living in SD is doable. I researched it. For your living, it's manageable if you get a studio or more simplistic 1 bedroom. But I mean at the rental level, when you are paying double a mid-level market in other cities and nearly triple in some places in the Midwest, that's crazy. I know I paid nearly triple what I did at the UG level and my UG apt. was a nice complex.

I made it in SF when I was 19 and working at Starbucks. It can be done. To each their own, I just really like everything that cities have to offer, and I'm gay, so I can't downsize cities too much without seriously sacrificing quality of dating life.

BearsGrl

Postby BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:07 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:

I made it in SF when I was 19 and working at Starbucks. It can be done. To each their own, I just really like everything that cities have to offer, and I'm gay, so I can't downsize cities too much without seriously sacrificing quality of dating life.

Understood. I just like having amenities. And it's less likely to get amenities and a sense of identity in bigger cities. That's all I've found at least. To each their own.

I'd rather get more bang for my buck.

Don't get me started on the Corporate-ness of Starbucks. :D I prefer local shops and giving to local coffee owners.
Last edited by BearsGrl on Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkpolk

Postby jkpolk » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:08 pm

BearsGrl wrote:I'd rather get more bang for my buck.

Hookers

alwayssunnyinfl

Postby alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:09 pm

flem wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:That's my point. It has a monopoly on this niche and it could be a better outlet.

And my point is the anonymity of the internet means the good will always come with the bad in a place like this.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”