"People who go to law school don't get a job" Forum

(Applications Advice, Letters of Recommendation . . . )
RedBirds2011

Silver

Re: "People who go to law school don't get a job"

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:54 pm

Birdnals wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:UGA tuition is $15,862 a year. That's cheap. Living and beyond would add it to not even $25,000 a year. And that's only if you get a nicer apt. I'm basing it off of a mid-level type place. I have no idea where you get $100,000. Do you have numbers that go along with this?
--LinkRemoved--

Non-discounted cost of everything with interest is $123,522 including interest when your first loan payment is due.
Why wouldn't you pay interest when it starts?
DON'T YOU HAVE ANY MONEY?!

Lol poors

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:55 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:

Getting my Masters in CA was ridiculously cheap. It was everything else that bumped it up.

In terms of law school, it depends on the school, but you have more schools asking for private institution type monies. I blame that on CA not knowing how to run itself as a whole.
I don't know why you hate on California as if it's some liberal bastion of everything expensive. UVA and U Michigan are also ridiculously expensive at sticker.
I think they're all comparable in terms of tuition, but I think U of Mich is cheaper living. Not sure about UVA.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:57 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:$16,000 + 15,000 for living expenses per year is $31,000 a year. If you can't make it by with that, then your budget is just overkill. I'm giving $10,000 for living expenses (rent only). Even if you go over that and go up to $35,000, that's not a bad rate. You would be incurring these costs anyways.
Plus origination fees, books, transportation, and all of that other stuff you need. And interest at a compounding 7.5%

Bro, just walk where you need to go.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

BearsGrl wrote: I stated up, implied, that she was at a decent school (good for the state it's in) so it should be implied that she is taking Summer classes at law school in lieu of working at either of the jobs that she was offered. Money is also less of a concern for her, but either way, she is going the class route instead of working and she had offers in our local market.
This is a horrible potentially career ruining decision. Sounds like your friend could've used TLS

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

Birdnals wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
Birdnals wrote:I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.
Oklahoma
Do you really think so? Even if rent was dirt cheap, say 200 a month, you still have to think eating every meal at home is going to be 100 a week. Add cell phone bill/ internet/ cost of books/ health insurance/ electric/water/gas/transportation? I have to imagine 1K a month wouldn’t cut it.
i can live off of 150 a month for food.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:$16,000 + 15,000 for living expenses per year is $31,000 a year. If you can't make it by with that, then your budget is just overkill. I'm giving $10,000 for living expenses (rent only). Even if you go over that and go up to $35,000, that's not a bad rate. You would be incurring these costs anyways.
Plus origination fees, books, transportation, and all of that other stuff you need. And interest at a compounding 7.5%
You would be incurring rent cost, but you would be working and paying it off at face value, not through loans. I have a big feeling BearsGrl is going to a Florida TT or TTT at a big discount and is suffering from special snowflake disorder

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:58 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Your probably one of those people who think you need to add frivolous things like “food” and “water bills” into living expenses. Live more frugally.

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:59 pm

Birdnals wrote:I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.
Plenty of places in the US are cheap to live. You can get apts. for $600-800. Bump the number up to $1500 if you like. I'm just saying that not everywhere is expensive. I was basing my living expenses as only rent related. Those I was giving the person a $900 apt., which I think is high overall and if you're paying more than that, you should re-think what your budget is.

Everything beyond rent is going to depend on one's lifestyle. But there are ways to live on the cheap.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:00 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:i can live off of 150 a month for food.
What in the actual fuck does your diet consist of?
I like PBJs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:01 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote: I stated up, implied, that she was at a decent school (good for the state it's in) so it should be implied that she is taking Summer classes at law school in lieu of working at either of the jobs that she was offered. Money is also less of a concern for her, but either way, she is going the class route instead of working and she had offers in our local market.
That sounds like she made a TERRIBLE decision. Also, you've trained us to reflexively never assume anything about your statements. That's your own fault.
She's happy. She was given a scholarship to the school. And money isn't her concern for repayment. She seems to be pretty happy with her decision.

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:02 pm

Birdnals wrote:
I would like to know where living on 1K a month with no outside support is feasible for a law school student. And this is assuming you get a summer job that supports you the other 3 months of the year.
You could live in California under 1K a month...

Share a room (~$500 a month). Split PG&E (~$8 month). Split internet cost if your roommate(s) are willing (~$10-15 a month). Cell phone (~$50 a month). Groceries (~$300 a month = ~$75 per week in groceries, can get you a lot of bread, pasta, vegetables, fruits for one person).

Didn't include Book costs, since that is a cost that occurs only once every few months. Could charge it on credit card, few hundred $$, ehh.. and pay it off with money left over each month.

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:03 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
I like PBJs.

Honestly, I really do think you can go pretty damn cheap when it comes to food. The problem is, most Americans don't want to.

alwayssunnyinfl

Gold

Post by alwayssunnyinfl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
That sounds like she made a TERRIBLE decision. Also, you've trained us to reflexively never assume anything about your statements. That's your own fault.
She's happy. She was given a scholarship to the school. And money isn't her concern for repayment. She seems to be pretty happy with her decision.
What is her concern for repayment?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm

tfleming09 wrote:
We were talking about if UGA was reasonable to pay. I think that amount is reasonable to pay. You may not think so. I wouldn't wait to pay compounding interest. That was not the discussion though. Transportation costs would be low as you would only be going to class and your home. Maybe a few trips away, but overall a low amount. Or at least, it should. This will depend on your circumstance though. Books are reasonable if you buy them "cheap." And they're just an assumed cost. It's not like it's an extra cost.

Ludo!

Gold

Post by Ludo! » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:04 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Yeah she's happy with it NOW. She might not be happy when she's looking for a job and every single employer asks her why she didn't do legal work her 1l summer

Ruxin1

Silver

Post by Ruxin1 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:05 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
realizing she used her parents' hard earned money to work in shitlaw/doc review?

Birdnals

Gold

Post by Birdnals » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
I like PBJs.

Honestly, I really do think you can go pretty damn cheap when it comes to food. The problem is, most Americans don't want toIt is impossible to eat reasonably healthy for cheap .
ftfy

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:06 pm

Mr. Pancakes wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
I like PBJs.
Almond butter is healthier!

RedBirds2011

Silver

Post by RedBirds2011 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:07 pm

@birdnals:

Fruits, vegetables, pasta, and bread is pretty damn cheap bro. Americans eat way way more on average than they actually need to be content and healthy.
Last edited by RedBirds2011 on Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:08 pm

BearsGrl wrote:
Mr. Pancakes wrote:
tfleming09 wrote:
I like PBJs.
Almond butter is healthier!
I'll check it out.

katesearches

New

Post by katesearches » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:09 pm

RedBirds2011 wrote:Fruits, vegetables, pasta, and bread is pretty damn cheap bro.
oh yeah, I forgot to add in "etc" after all that, but seriously $75 a week can buy you a lot of stuff, including a few steaks a month. I'm on a diet right now, so fruits & vegetables, blueberries, salads, etc are the first things that popped up in my mind

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:10 pm

alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
I stated that she has none. She's smart enough. She got above a 160 on the LSAT. Her parents are just going to supplement her, plus she has the scholarship. I don't know the amount, but I know she's worked in the legal world for years and years. She's like a mini-smart Barbie doll. Totally confusing to the eyes/mind - haha.

laxbrah420

Gold

Post by laxbrah420 » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:11 pm

I spend about $750 a month on food. I really don't see that changing

BearsGrl

Gold

Post by BearsGrl » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

Ludovico Technique wrote:
BearsGrl wrote:
alwayssunnyinfl wrote:
Yeah she's happy with it NOW. She might not be happy when she's looking for a job and every single employer asks her why she didn't do legal work her 1l summer
I was shocked that she didn't take the job either, but that's her choice. Either way, she was offered stuff and turned it down for other options and she's content. Why be mad at her for her choices? She's a nice person and I find the random, unknown internet attacks beyond hilarious.

Mr. Pancakes

Silver

Post by Mr. Pancakes » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:12 pm

laxbrah420 wrote:I spend about $750 a month on food. I really don't see that changing
holy shitballs. where do you live? That's almost as much as my rent.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Admissions Forum”